777ER or A380 with infant ?

Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum,HHonors Gold
777ER or A380 with infant ?

Planning for a BOM-AMS itinerary with my wife & new born ( will be 3 months on ETD ). I have the option of flying 777-300ER or A380 for my DXB-AMS flight and I would like to have a suggestion for better seats in Y. For me its always A380 handsdown for Y, but still want to know if Im missing anything for the infant..

And flying J can anyway help just our baby better ? She was quite cranky in our recent domestic flight. So just curious to know your opinion, so that I will also consider J.

Thanks...
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
J is better with a baby as there is more space and less noise. However if flying in J, I would suggest you avoid the A380 and go for the 777 and get the forward mini cabin( row 6/7)The toilets will be just behind you. Not sure where the bassinet seats are though . Even if they are in row 8 you are still near the toilets.

On the 380 toilet access can be an issue unless you are in the back but then the noise from the bar can keep the baby awake.

Disclaimer: The above information is not from personal experience but from friends/ family.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
J on A380 is way better as the EF seats mean that you and your wife can sit very close to each other and a bit secluded from the other pax, though I guess at 3 mo, you may want to use a bassinet (D/G seats, but I don't quite like them). Plus you have ample space to pacify the baby in the bar area at the back, away from most of the folks who might be sleeping/ trying to sleep.

Either Y or J, but take the A380 over the 777.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by jac. A/edada
J on A380 is way better as the EF seats mean that you and your wife can sit very close to each other and a bit secluded from the other pax, though I guess at 3 mo, you may want to use a bassinet (D/G seats, but I don't quite like them). Plus you have ample space to pacify the baby in the bar area at the back, away from most of the folks who might be sleeping/ trying to sleep.

D/G seats are terrible on the 380. The ICE screen is literally on your face as the space you have is far less than the other seats .

Moreover wouldn't the couple be far apart ??? ( might work for some )

On the 380 A/K is better than E/F which is better than D/G

But A/K wouldnt work with a couple with an infant . E/F seats are okay as a couple but I dont know how well it would work with a baby. That leaves one with D/G
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
E/F seats are okay as a couple but I dont know how well it would work with a baby.
I've done EF with an 8 mo old baby. But for bassinet, you'll need to go with D/G.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Originally Posted by jackiedada

Don't forget how the crew love babies and taking polaroids of them.

I once saw a mother leave her baby with a lovely FA at the back for almost 30 minutes while she took a shower in F on a DXB-LHR flight last year. I was in 26J again so I saw everything that went on back there. Not sure if it is allowed but the FA had a blast. She seemed like a much older baby though - maybe 6-8 months.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ahmed777
Don't forget how the crew love babies and taking polaroids of them.
Exactly!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:09 pm

If you're travelling on the A380, then consider taking a B/D or G/J pairing if you have a bassinet. This means you are seperated by the aisle but at least you're more accessible to each other. If you take a D/G pairing then you have the bassinet inbetween you, but you're really sitting on opposite sides of the cabin. Row 21 makes that abit more bearable because there is an aisle crossover between row 21 and the coat closet.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Descending
Row 21 makes that abit more bearable because there is an aisle crossover between row 21 and the coat closet.
I think this might also be possible with Row 22 as well as no seats in front and the flat bulkhead makes it possible to cross over. We were in Row 23 with our 8mo but there was a couple ahead with an infant who seemed to be able to access the baby and pass it between each other.

See if this Google Maps view gives you a better idea.
https://www.google.com/maps/views/vi...tch=65&fovy=75
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum,HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
D/G seats are terrible on the 380. The ICE screen is literally on your face as the space you have is far less than the other seats .

Moreover wouldn't the couple be far apart ??? ( might work for some )

On the 380 A/K is better than E/F which is better than D/G

But A/K wouldnt work with a couple with an infant . E/F seats are okay as a couple but I dont know how well it would work with a baby. That leaves one with D/G
I can't think about the E/K as for sure bassinet is needed . And I guess I will have to stick with A380 as the connection/arrival timing is better with A380.

Originally Posted by Descending
If you're travelling on the A380, then consider taking a B/D or G/J pairing if you have a bassinet. This means you are seperated by the aisle but at least you're more accessible to each other. If you take a D/G pairing then you have the bassinet inbetween you, but you're really sitting on opposite sides of the cabin. Row 21 makes that abit more bearable because there is an aisle crossover between row 21 and the coat closet.
Why B/D or G/J not A/D or K/J ? A/D decreases the proximity Or I am missing something ??

I think this might also be possible with Row 22 as well as no seats in front and the flat bulkhead makes it possible to cross over. We were in Row 23 with our 8mo but there was a couple ahead with an infant who seemed to be able to access the baby and pass it between each other.

See if this Google Maps view gives you a better idea.
https://www.google.com/maps/views/vi...tch=65&fovy=75
Im also getting more inclined towards the 22 D/G but the google map really don't show whether its easily possible to cross over. If I can find a good picture of that seat, it would be great. I did some google, couldn't get one. When are you in the A380 next ? You please click one for me

And Ahmed777, for the Polaroids I dont think she is going to cooperate . Im having such a difficult time to take foto for passport
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Originally Posted by isle11
I can't think about the E/K as for sure bassinet is needed . And I guess I will have to stick with A380 as the connection/arrival timing is better with A380.

Why B/D or G/J not A/D or K/J ? A/D decreases the proximity Or I am missing something ??

Im also getting more inclined towards the 22 D/G but the google map really don't show whether its easily possible to cross over. If I can find a good picture of that seat, it would be great. I did some google, couldn't get one. When are you in the A380 next ? You please click one for me

And Ahmed777, for the Polaroids I dont think she is going to cooperate . Im having such a difficult time to take foto for passport

A and K seats have about 7" more legroom than B and J. I'm not sure about the centre seats, but AFAIK the ones next to each other have less and the outer ones have more (someone else please confirm).

It is due to the arrangement of the seats. It's why I prefer the 777 for day flights.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Even though your infant is on the younger side and still probably sleeps a lot, we consider the flight times just as much as the aircraft when flying with our kids.

We prefer overnight and day flights over middle of the night (eg departing 3am) flights. Nothing worse than your toddler or infant waking up at their usual 6-7am when you are crashing from being up all night waiting for the flight.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by isle11
When are you in the A380 next ? You please click one for me
Happy to do that. Am traveling end of the month - though the flight is at an odd hour that I may end up sleeping for most of the flight. However, will try and remember to get a snap of row 22 for you.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:13 pm

Sorry, it was difficult for me to explain in words. In you take a D/G combination it just means the two adults are not really accessible to each other. Consider the D seat is accessed by the left aisle and the G seat by the right side aisle and in between the two seats is the fixed bassinet and the mini bar console.

It's just a minor point because the bulk head I front of row 22 is a closet which then has an aisle cross over infront of that. So you can get out of your seat and walk around it. Just that when you are both seated there is some distance. Where as if you take a B/D G/J pairing you can easily see each other when seated, converse to each other across the narrow A380 aisle and more easily pass the baby to each other while still having a bassinet available.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Plus you have ample space to pacify the baby in the bar area at the back, away from most of the folks who might be sleeping/ trying to sleep.
Exactly! While on the 777, neither F or J have a social bar area.

Another thing to consider is that the A380 is staffed with a lot more cabin crew members who may be able to help with the baby.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.