Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Interesting approach to old equipment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold

I received the email text below from British Airways just now and thought that it was a pro-active approach to problem of old equipment having substandard seating (at least in relation to other seats on newer planes). I realize that by doing so there is no option to pay and experience First class service of any kind on routes with aircraft treated in this way at all but I did find it interesting. Consider the blue touch paper lit ...

Dear Mr. MRTDXB;

We wanted to let you know about some changes we're making to travelling in First as we understand you have experienced the previous cabin design when travelling with us in the last 12 months.

As part of our continuing plans to renew our fleet, we will be retiring several older aircraft including a number of our Boeing 747-400s still fitted with the previous cabin design. Some of these aircraft will retain the existing cabin until they are withdrawn from service in 2015. We recognise that this may not be the cabin setting our customers expect in First today.

This is why from the start of the Winter 2014 season in October, we will sell these seats as additional Club World seats and only operate these aircraft on the following designated routes from London Heathrow:

• Las Vegas (LAS): flight numbers BA275/274
• Phoenix (PHX): flight numbers BA289/288
• Vancouver (YVR): flight numbers BA085/084
• Cape Town (CPT): flight numbers BA043/042 (Winter season); BA059/058 (Summer 2015 season)

The experience we will offer on these services will be consistent with the levels of service we offer in Club World.

What happens to my existing booking?
If you already have a booking in First on one of these flights, you will be travelling in the previous First cabin design but from October the booking class and service offering will change to Club World. We will contact you to discuss this in more detail with you, assess and refund any applicable fare difference and explain alternative options we're able to offer.

We would like to apologise that you were not able to travel in our current First cabin and hope you welcome the changes we're making while we continue to renew our fleet.

Warm regards,

British Airways Customer Service
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by mrtdxb
I received the email text below from British Airways just now and thought that it was a pro-active approach to problem of old equipment having substandard seating (at least in relation to other seats on newer planes). I realize that by doing so there is no option to pay and experience First class service of any kind on routes with aircraft treated in this way at all but I did find it interesting. Consider the blue touch paper lit ...

Dear Mr. MRTDXB;

We wanted to let you know about some changes we're making to travelling in First as we understand you have experienced the previous cabin design when travelling with us in the last 12 months.

As part of our continuing plans to renew our fleet, we will be retiring several older aircraft including a number of our Boeing 747-400s still fitted with the previous cabin design. Some of these aircraft will retain the existing cabin until they are withdrawn from service in 2015. We recognise that this may not be the cabin setting our customers expect in First today.

This is why from the start of the Winter 2014 season in October, we will sell these seats as additional Club World seats and only operate these aircraft on the following designated routes from London Heathrow:

• Las Vegas (LAS): flight numbers BA275/274
• Phoenix (PHX): flight numbers BA289/288
• Vancouver (YVR): flight numbers BA085/084
• Cape Town (CPT): flight numbers BA043/042 (Winter season); BA059/058 (Summer 2015 season)

The experience we will offer on these services will be consistent with the levels of service we offer in Club World.

What happens to my existing booking?
If you already have a booking in First on one of these flights, you will be travelling in the previous First cabin design but from October the booking class and service offering will change to Club World. We will contact you to discuss this in more detail with you, assess and refund any applicable fare difference and explain alternative options we're able to offer.

We would like to apologise that you were not able to travel in our current First cabin and hope you welcome the changes we're making while we continue to renew our fleet.

Warm regards,

British Airways Customer Service
They also give 50,000 Avios if you end up on old first automatically. Its a bit more of a battle (to say the least) with EK if you are equipment swapped from Suites to Skycruisers where there is a huge difference.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:36 am

Wow, that's really some very customer friendly airline...

Last edited by Tsun; Aug 5, 2014 at 5:10 am
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:57 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Tsun
Wow, that's really some really customer friendly airline...
about the only thing BA is good at (dealing with old first)....
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:49 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
AFAIK those routes are longer than most (all?) EK routes that are operated by 330s, maybe even older 777's with Skycruiser in F.

(... I actually have a fondness for Skycruiser, but that's beside the point)
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Xlr
(... I actually have a fondness for Skycruiser, but that's beside the point)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.