Wiki Posts
Search

Bereavement refunds on EK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:27 am
k81
Original Poster

Bereavement refunds on EK

Hey guys, not sure if someone else has asked this question, didn't see it so here I go.

I was due to fly out AKL/PRG June 10 (last month) on the return leg of my flight which I had booked via Expedia, until my Mum who lives here in NZ fell ill & died on June 14.

I called Emirates to try & cancel my flight but they insisted I cancel through my travel agent (Expedia) which I tried but couldn't see any option, & what with all the goings on that's involved with a dying loved one the flight booking was put to one side as I was the only family member here to deal with our mums sad demise.

Finally the dust is beginning to settle here & I'm hoping I can redeem some of the airfare I missed on compassionate grounds, but I'm wondering what my chances are since I basically did a "no show" & it's well over a month since the flight.

So guys I'd really appreciate any tips from anyone who has "been there & done that" before I contact the guys at EK.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:59 am

Sorry about your loss.

I'm afraid the only way is to call Expedia. They can put a full refund through but they'll ask for a certificate of some sort.

Was it Expedia US or NZ?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As mentioned, since you booked through Expedia , it is Expedia that you need to discuss obtaining any permitted refund

Emirates itself does permit refunds in this situation for fares purchased from it and hopefully Expedia also has a refund policy in this situation. If it is a private Expedia fare , the rules of that will be applicable
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:35 am

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
I am sorry about your loss and can understand how you didn't have time to think about the tix before.

Expedia would be the ones to apply to for a refund and I had a terrible experience with them albeit with ex.sg and for completely less import cancellation reasons. However, have you tried to appeal directly to EK in person (airport, ticket office) to change your return date. If you do, you should bring a copy of the death certificate with you.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onlin...fund-wwyd.html
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:23 am
k81
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Catusa
However, have you tried to appeal directly to EK in person (airport, ticket office) to change your return date.
Thanks for the speedy replys.
When I called EK a few days before my flight they did offer to postpone the flight untill a later date but all near term flights were booked out & long term (several months) flights additional fees were prohibitive considering I wasn't even sure if I would be free to travel on a future date, as we didn't know how much longer my mother was going to last.

edy4eva I can't remember which site it was, I can hardly remember my expedia login name & password either as it was the first time I had used them as EK rejected my CC & once that happens you're screwed untill a new CC is issued

I'll try the above advice & let you guys know how it goes
Thanks a bunch!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by k81

edy4eva I can't remember which site it was, I can hardly remember my expedia login name & password either as it was the first time I had used them as EK rejected my CC & once that happens you're screwed untill a new CC is issued
Check the email confirmation. You will need to contact the appropriate Expedia and they will verify with you the email address for your account and/or Expedia's itinerary number.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: EK Blue :-( BAEC
Firstly sorry for your loss,

my experience of Expedia (uk) was terrible unfortunately when trying to claim back money for an involuntary downgrade. The call centre were useless. In the end I resorted to social media (their facebook page) to highlight my dissatisfaction, was pleasant with it! I got the desired result in hours! Shame I had to resort to that approach.
Worth considering if you get nowhere quickly IMHO, good luck and best wishes
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
Originally Posted by tummytank

my experience of Expedia (uk) was terrible unfortunately when trying to claim back money for an involuntary downgrade. The call centre were useless. In the end I resorted to social media (their facebook page) to highlight my dissatisfaction, was pleasant with it! I got the desired result in hours! Shame I had to resort to that approach.
Worth considering if you get nowhere quickly IMHO, good luck and best wishes
Wish you had chimed in on my post

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onlin...fund-wwyd.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.