Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Got an email about "Upgrade your flight to XXX for $YYY"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Silver, LH, AF

I am traveling SIN-DXB-CDG, CDG-DXB-SIN over next two weeks, and just got an email to upgrade my first leg. Unfortunately, it is the one I care least about, so I am going to give it a miss.

As per this thread, I believe this is because either they're oversold in Y and have space in J, or completely unsold in Y and just want me to experience J as they know I am willing to pay (I've been looking to upgrade the return segment to ease 7 hour layover.)

Question for veterans: Are such emails frequent? I would take the offer of DXB-SIN in a flash if one were to reach my inbox in a week from now. Can I influence that, if at all?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:57 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Yes, they are sent out frequently. But it seems to be pretty random who they get sent to.

I've never received one, but my wife gets them regularly, even though it's me who booked the flights.

As you've received one, I'd suggest that this would be a good sign that you'll get future offers.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Do these emails go out to you if a travel agent made the booking - assuming you have put your email against your booking?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
I have never got one into/out of SIN and find these flts usually very full in J. I typically get them though into/out of LYS because that flt is usually crowded on Y, light in J.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Silver, LH, AF
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Yes, they are sent out frequently. But it seems to be pretty random who they get sent to.

I've never received one, but my wife gets them regularly, even though it's me who booked the flights.

As you've received one, I'd suggest that this would be a good sign that you'll get future offers.
Thanks DYKWIA. Hope to get the one for return flight!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:48 pm

Hey Heman, mine was $1000 for SIN-DXB. Far too pricey for my blood.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:25 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
They send them out typically to new Skywards members or lower tiered members. And more often than when Y is oversold and there is capacity in J. I used to get them a lot ex MEL, but when I reached Gold (prior to Plat existing) I started to play roulette and declined the email offer and simply waited for the upgrade Gods to appear on the say. Which they always did.

My advice though is if it is the sector you want and the price falls within your reach, do it.

And no, you cant influence the process (eg of receiving them). Its done via the CRM system.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:43 am

If you say yes to the offer what kind of Skywards points you get? What about access to lounge?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:18 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by kkdenmark
If you say yes to the offer what kind of Skywards points you get? What about access to lounge?
You typically get lounge access, no extra points or a car.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:24 am

We are only Skywards blue, about to get to silver, but have had an email upgrade on our last three flights.

The first was from SIN to MEL, which we took as it was an excellent price (around $200 SGD from memory).

We went from MEL to DXB to PRG in January and were offered one then for the MEL DXB leg, we didn't take it as it was very expensive and there were four of us. We then got another for the DXB to PRG leg, also did not take that as again very expensive.

A couple of days before our return we were offered ZRH to DXB and DXB to MEL. We didn't take the first offer but did take the DXB to MEL as it was the A380.

So on that basis, you are quite likely to get another offer.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:34 am

If you get the offer normaly how far ahead you get it?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: EK (G), VS (G), EY (G), BA (B) & HH (D)
Originally Posted by kkdenmark
If you get the offer normaly how far ahead you get it?
Usually, a few days before flight.

Getting this offer does not necessarily mean the cabin you originally booked in is oversold. I have been in Y cabin with many empty seats after not taking up on the offer. And I get a quite a few special offer 'first come first served' upgrade email messages!

I have a feeling it is part of their 'J product' marketing activity.........

And, if my memory serves me correctly, I did get the J class miles credit on the occasions I opted for the upgrade but no chauffeur service.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:22 am

Another one today for the DXB-CDG leg.

$1000 for SIN-DXB, and now $750 for DXB-CDG. Not worth it in my book.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
My dad got one about upgrading BLR-DXB-BOS to J for 3675 AED last week. $992 for each of us (me, dad, brother) seemed too much at that time and seems like the price has gone up in a week as upgrading is now $4713 for all of us.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by A351
Usually, a few days before flight.

Getting this offer does not necessarily mean the cabin you originally booked in is oversold. I have been in Y cabin with many empty seats after not taking up on the offer. And I get a quite a few special offer 'first come first served' upgrade email messages!

I have a feeling it is part of their 'J product' marketing activity.........

And, if my memory serves me correctly, I did get the J class miles credit on the occasions I opted for the upgrade but no chauffeur service.
EK will only give miles for the cabin class that you had booked originally .
I suspect that the J miles being credited for a upgraded J ticket was an error.

They do try to get it back sometimes. My friends mileage balance slipped to a negative value after the airline took back some miles credited in error ( don't remember if it was EK)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.