Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

DXB-DUR purser calls "sick" passenger bluff

Old Jul 9, 14, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Was on the DXB-DUR flight today in Y when a middle aged couple got on a few rows in front of me. The moment they got on the male told the cabin attendant his wife is not feeling too well and and needs to be in business class to recover on the flight (we were just about to close doors). A discussion ensued and the crux was they were just going for a free upgrade (based one the wife not feeling well and needed space to rest). The smart, and by the way excellent purser, called their bluff and said if she is feeling ill there is no upgrade she needs to be offloaded no question about it. I think this took them aback a bit as the purser called their bluff and they could not go back on their story.

So the inevitable happened...fully (yes fully!) loaded flight about to depart had to offload said passengers, the ground staff had to pull their luggage and the cabin crew had to do a security check and identify all the cabin baggage individually and we had a delay.

Moral of the story: don't feign illness to get an upgrade, it does not work. Well done to the crew, ground staff and particularly the Purser, well handled.

Last edited by eckhaya; Jul 9, 14 at 10:11 pm
Old Jul 9, 14, 12:43 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I wonder what happened to them once they got off?

I suspect EK would have made them see a doctor before letting them fly. The doctor would find no health issue, so hopefully EK would force them to purchase new tickets

Heartless? Me?

Old Jul 9, 14, 1:55 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I have seen loads of pax who request wheelchairs on EK. You can later see some of them literally running around / walking faster than me after the flight.
Old Jul 9, 14, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Full credit to the Purser for handling the matter in such a decisive & professional matter

It's no bad thing for an airline (or indeed any commercial organisation) to send out this sort of message when appropriate, and to thereby redress the balance of unwarranted expectation. A growing number of people have somehow developed a distasteful sense of entitlement to things that others choose to pay for.

If Emirates exercise their discretion - as of course they so often do - to provide additional/enhanced facilities as a gesture of goodwill, and/or in recognition of loyalty, then all well & good. The problem comes once people make demands or, in this case, even resort to deception to cheat their way to a service to which they have no right.
Old Jul 9, 14, 2:44 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Excellent stuff, nothing worse than y pax trying to blag upgrades
Old Jul 9, 14, 2:56 pm

They have no shame!
Old Jul 9, 14, 2:58 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Haha! DUR flights are awful in Y. 9 hours. Always an old plane. Always 100% full.... I see their need to bluff their way to J .

Well done to the purser! I wish I was there to watch this ridiculous (and quite stupid) attempt fail in their faces.

You get what you pay for folks!

Last edited by Ahmed777; Jul 9, 14 at 9:08 pm
Old Jul 9, 14, 10:40 pm

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Ahmed777 View Post
..You get what you pay for folks!
And sometimes worse...
Old Jul 10, 14, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by eckhaya View Post
So the inevitable happened...fully (yes fully!) loaded flight about to depart had to offload said passengers, the ground staff had to pull their luggage and the cabin crew had to do a security check and identify all the cabin baggage individually and we had a delay.
I assume the bit about identifying cabin baggage individually is to make sure that the offloaded passengers didn't purposely leave anything behind on the aircraft ? How much delay did the whole thing incur ?
Old Jul 10, 14, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Ahmed777 View Post
Haha! DUR flights are awful in Y. 9 hours. Always an old plane. Always 100% full.... I see their need to bluff their way to J .

Well done to the purser! I wish I was there to watch this ridiculous (and quite stupid) attempt fail in their faces.

You get what you pay for folks!
EK775/776 seems to regularly feature A6-EN* and the later A6-EG* aircraft which all have the upgraded ICE digital widescreen. So it can't be THAT bad :P
Old Jul 10, 14, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zhaobao View Post
I assume the bit about identifying cabin baggage individually is to make sure that the offloaded passengers didn't purposely leave anything behind on the aircraft ? How much delay did the whole thing incur ?
Correct zhaobao, its a security precaution. The entire delay was about an hour. Not bad considering what happened and that we were parked on a remote stand.

Search this Thread