FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Op-Up with Wife (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1591071-op-up-wife.html)

EK788 Jul 3, 2014 2:09 am

Op-Up with Wife

Hey all.

I have a flight coming up DXB - JFK in Y with the wife. Based on my previous experiences plus looking at the flight load, I'm almost certainly getting upgraded.

My question is would they op-up my wife as well, even though we're on separate PNRs? She has some status (EK Silver) but her ticket is a saver fare while mine is flex. Called Emirates and they said that they would "link" our PNRs to indicate that we are traveling together but I don't know how much that would help.

Thanks!

jackiedada Jul 3, 2014 2:17 am

Originally Posted by EK788 (Post 23135464)
Called Emirates and they said that they would "link" our PNRs to indicate that we are traveling together but I don't know how much that would help.

Thanks!

Yes, that should help. Just be aware that if for some reason some pax miss their connection or not turn up, your flight may not go out full. Good luck with the upgrade.

m3red Jul 3, 2014 2:49 am

Originally Posted by EK788 (Post 23135464)
Hey all.

I have a flight coming up DXB - JFK in Y with the wife. Based on my previous experiences plus looking at the flight load, I'm almost certainly getting upgraded.

My question is would they op-up my wife as well, even though we're on separate PNRs? She has some status (EK Silver) but her ticket is a saver fare while mine is flex. Called Emirates and they said that they would "link" our PNRs to indicate that we are traveling together but I don't know how much that would help.

Thanks!

Are you looking at expert flyer or getting accurate EK loads....

That is a dangerous statement to make!

I thought I would get upgraded once on a DXB MAN flight until 7 plats turned up in J....

edy4eva Jul 3, 2014 5:31 am

Originally Posted by jackiedada (Post 23135486)
Yes, that should help. Just be aware that if for some reason some pax miss their connection or not turn up, your flight may not go out full. Good luck with the upgrade.

I thought linking PNRs will actually reduce the chances of opup.

@EK788 I'd keep the bookings separate then at check in argue for another opup if yours materialises (or use miles).

subject2load Jul 3, 2014 5:50 am

edy4eva makes a good point wrt chances being reduced.

I know of many cases of 2 pax travelling together on same PNR losing out on a (potential) op-up because the standard prioritisation policy has been followed strictly. So ......if there are solo plats and golds on the flight in question, they would most likely get the nod ahead of any 'twosomes' where one happens to be a silver. Like most airlines, EK will generally choose the most straightforward option rather than get embroiled in complications.

m3red Jul 3, 2014 6:15 am

My wife goes everywhere with me so no issues for me. We often get J to F and have had Y to J together.

One time we got separate seats in J but they still upgraded us both.

EK788 Jul 3, 2014 10:27 am

Originally Posted by m3red (Post 23135572)
Are you looking at expert flyer or getting accurate EK loads....

That is a dangerous statement to make!

I thought I would get upgraded once on a DXB MAN flight until 7 plats turned up in J....

I'm using expert flyer and I'm just drawing that assumption based on my past experiences. Almost every time I take this flight and the loads are full, I get op-upped. Whether I'm just lucky or I have a guardian angel, who knows.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

jackiedada Jul 3, 2014 10:58 am

Originally Posted by edy4eva (Post 23135991)
I thought linking PNRs will actually reduce the chances of opup.

@EK788 I'd keep the bookings separate then at check in argue for another opup if yours materialises (or use miles).

Depends on what your preferences are. If the PNRs are unlinked then there is a chance the the op may get upgraded while his wife might not. If they are linked, then it is certain that while he may be the last to be upgraded among Golds, his wife will most certainly be upgraded before any silvers - this way end up traveling together, either in Y or J. I've traveled several times with a colleague who is silver on the same PNR and we've always been upgraded together.