Price cheaper in dubai airport?

Old Jul 2, 14, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Question Price cheaper in dubai airport?

Hello everyone! So I am flying next week to manila via dubai. Last week, I started buying stuff for my family and friends. My brother wanted psp vita and my grandfather wanted a pair of shoes. Someone told me to buy these in Dubai airport instead because its cheaper. Is it true? Do you guys have any idea how much the items I mentioned cost? Please help! Thank you in advance!
Old Jul 2, 14, 11:53 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by thisismejerome View Post
Hello everyone! So I am flying next week to manila via dubai. Last week, I started buying stuff for my family and friends. My brother wanted psp vita and my grandfather wanted a pair of shoes. Someone told me to buy these in Dubai airport instead because its cheaper. Is it true? Do you guys have any idea how much the items I mentioned cost? Please help! Thank you in advance!
Not inside the airport. Most electronic items I have looked at are cheaper in the UK. You do sometimes get good deals if you have time to venture outside.
Old Jul 3, 14, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Video games will assuredly be cheaper in the US than in Dubai -- in Dubai, they are imported from elsewhere.
Old Jul 3, 14, 9:27 pm

Dubai Duty Free is one of the few airports in the world that publish a price list!
http://www.dubaidutyfree.com/content...gs%20JUL14.pdf

The PS Vita 3G Disney pack is 221.94USD which is lower than elsewhere.
Old Jul 3, 14, 9:44 pm

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
I've typically found perfumes, alcohol, and chocolates to be always cheaper at the US/Indian duty free than at DXB unless there is a sale going on. Good to know that there are still some items that are cheaper at DXB
Old Jul 4, 14, 12:37 am

I recall from the OP's previous posts he was going to Larnaca (OP - please correct me if I'm wrong).

Any comparisons would have to be from there as a base I think.

PS. If this is the Larnaca trip you posted about before, did you end up travelling in Business or Economy?
Old Jul 4, 14, 3:14 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
I recall from the OP's previous posts he was going to Larnaca (OP - please correct me if I'm wrong).

PS. If this is the Larnaca trip you posted about before, did you end up travelling in Business or Economy?

^
Old Jul 4, 14, 5:28 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by jackiedada View Post
I've typically found perfumes, alcohol, and chocolates to be always cheaper at the US/Indian duty free than at DXB unless there is a sale going on. Good to know that there are still some items that are cheaper at DXB
Chocolate--- UK is cheaper than DXB or India

Alcohol --- for the lower priced spirits DXB is cheaper than UK. The price at Indian airports might be slightly cheaper per litre bottle but at DXB you get an extra 200 ml or even 500 mls bottle when you buy a 2 litre pack, which makes it cheaper than Indian Airports.

Perfumes--- No idea. I usually buy it in the uk from online retailers.
Old Jul 4, 14, 6:00 am

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
I think it may vary based on the brands you might shop for but for those that I typically purchase, I've found the best prices either at the US or India.
Originally Posted by ukdoctor View Post
Alcohol --- for the lower priced spirits DXB is cheaper than UK. The price at Indian airports might be slightly cheaper per litre bottle but at DXB you get an extra 200 ml or even 500 mls bottle when you buy a 2 litre pack, which makes it cheaper than Indian Airports.
That's typically not been my experience as I find DXB prices to be much higher. The deals on "Buy 2" are also available in Indian airports. Besides you can take an extra 5% off if you pre order on your departure and pick up on your return. However, sometimes US prices beat Indian and DXB completely - case in point Grey Goose is $51 at DXB but only $42 at BOS and if you buy 2, you can take another $8 off....
Originally Posted by ukdoctor View Post
Perfumes--- No idea. I usually buy it in the uk from online retailers.
Amazon.com definitely has the best prices but I still prefer buying it from duty free because ime, the ones from duty free are stored better and their perfume tends to linger more. Again, Acqua Di Gio, 100 ml EDT is $93 at DXB but only $77 at JFK (and $63 at Amazon)...
Old Jul 4, 14, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101 View Post

I am flying FROM LARNACA to manila and then back Larnaca.

P.S 2 weeks after my post, I went to emirates site and entered my booking reference but I couldn't go through. It said "Sorry, the booking reference you provided does not have an itinerary. Please call your local Emirates office for assistance." and then I tried again after a week and Class changed to Business class.
Old Jul 5, 14, 4:03 am

So going by your OP you were buying presents in Larnaca before you left. A bit unusual but each to their own.

Did your travel agent tell you if he/she upgraded you to Business Class with Skywards Miles he/she had obtained somehow?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: