Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

First class vs business class on A380 is it worth it?

First class vs business class on A380 is it worth it?

Old Jun 30, 14, 1:31 pm

Programs: EK Plat, OWE (BA), *A Gold (TK), EY Gold*
Fly Cathay via HKG to MLE for superior F product and lounge offering...

If you're wedded to EK, then IMHO 1st isn't worth the additional money - spend it on the resort or massages / diving etc when you're there...

14hrs is far too long to have a comfortable layover in DXB airport without a hotel so factor in an airport hotel (either in terminal or out of airport) - Le Meridien Airport is a stone's throw and prob best bet.

Alternative is go via London with BA and take in a show etc for a night in London to break up the trip.
Old Jun 30, 14, 2:05 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by SimpleDXB View Post

If you're wedded to EK, then IMHO 1st isn't worth the additional money - spend it on the resort or massages / diving etc when you're there...

14hrs is far too long to have a comfortable layover in DXB airport without a hotel so factor in an airport hotel (either in terminal or out of airport) - Le Meridien Airport is a stone's throw and prob best bet.

Alternative is go via London with BA and take in a show etc for a night in London to break up the trip.
AFAIK EK will provide the OP with a hotel at DXB if the ticket purchased is a standard ticket and if the OP is taking the first available connecting flight.
Old Jun 30, 14, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm, TP Gold *G
Originally Posted by SimpleDXB View Post

CX does not offer F between HKG and MLE.
And why pack for two seasons and stop in London?
Old Jun 30, 14, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Decision made

Hey everyone

Thank-you so much for all your input. After doing some investigative work last night I've decided that we shall go business class home but first class there. I engaged my wife in some "daydream" talk such as if we went to maldives, went on emirates what would it be like. We looked at the resort we chose and she wanted to do business one way and first the other if it were to happen. This will cut the cost by $5000 but this really isnt about money, its our once in a lifetime trip.

This is our second to last bucket list trip, the last one is Turks and Caicos. We're going to Lux Maldives, its not the fanciest of places but it has the little things that really are our style. Such as an ice cream parlor on the beach, a secret bar you can look for, an old english style phone booth that you can call anywhere for free in the world and they bring a projector out on the beach to watch movies. I read a review where the staff knew he was a big New England Patriots fan and it was playoffs so the staff brought out the projector, with buckets of beer and football food for the game. Its little things like that that caught my attention. I've also booked an over the water villa.

Flyeagle, when you mentioned about not being in the seats much, I can see us being in that business bar a lot during the flight as I can't see ourselves sitting in the seat for the whole trip, are all the snacks and drinks free or is there a charge?

I thought I also read somewhere that if the layover is over a certain time Emirates provides you with a room? And the food in the lunges in the airport is it also free?

On the way home with the stop in CMB I thought about staying at the Dolphin, looks nice and right on the beach. In Dubai, the Rafferty also looked nice.
Old Jun 30, 14, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mgarlow View Post
Hey everyone

Thank-you so much for all your input. After doing some investigative work last night I've decided that we shall go business class home but first class there. I engaged my wife in some "daydream" talk such as if we went to maldives, went on emirates what would it be like. We looked at the resort we chose and she wanted to do business one way and first the other if it were to happen. This will cut the cost by $5000 but this really isnt about money, its our once in a lifetime trip.

Flyeagle, when you mentioned about not being in the seats much, I can see us being in that business bar a lot during the flight as I can't see ourselves sitting in the seat for the whole trip, are all the snacks and drinks free or is there a charge?

I thought I also read somewhere that if the layover is over a certain time Emirates provides you with a room? And the food in the lunges in the airport is it also free?
A reasonable compromise. If you don't mind my asking, how much did EK want for the roundtrip (F out and J back)?
Food and beverage both on board at the J bar and in the lounges is entirely complimentary.
Old Jun 30, 14, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

$17100 cdn. Is the food in business class on demand as well?
Old Jun 30, 14, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$17100 cdn.
Per person?
Old Jun 30, 14, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Thats for both of us.
Old Jun 30, 14, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thats for both of us.
So $8,500 PP and around $11,000 PP for all F. That's actually a great F fare x-NA.

If you can find EK First mileage seats on AS for the YYZ-MLE leg, your CMB-YYZ return is only $4,584 CAD in First.

Last edited by SFO777; Jun 30, 14 at 10:56 pm
Old Jun 30, 14, 10:50 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
$17100 cdn. Is the food in business class on demand as well?
No it's not.

How long are you in cmb for? I like the jetwing blue hotel (close to the airport and nice and chilled for 2 days).

In dubai stay in downtown at the palace hotel or at jumeriah beach/Mena Salam or al qasar
Old Jul 1, 14, 2:01 am

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
... are all the snacks and drinks free or is there a charge?
Yes, it is complementary.
I thought I also read somewhere that if the layover is over a certain time Emirates provides you with a room?
Yes, its called Dubai connect. If you are on the earliest connection out of DXB to your destination and the time between your connections is greater than 6 hours, then Emirates will provide you with a hotel room.

And the food in the lunges in the airport is it also free?
Absolutely. On your return, you are going to be in F and they have an a la carte menu at the F lounge to choose from apart from the buffet. Breakfast selections aren't good though but lunch and dinner is nice.
Old Jul 1, 14, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

M3red we are in cmb for 23hrs then in dubai for 13hrs. Thanks for the hotel tips

Jackiedada thanks for the info.
Old Aug 24, 19, 1:32 pm

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
I am currently trying decide between first or business on the lax to dxb...anyone done them recently both and offer a comparison. I plan to use Alaska miles so want to know if it's worth the additional mileage.
Old Aug 24, 19, 1:39 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by AbuCordoba View Post
I am currently trying decide between first or business on the lax to dxb...anyone done them recently both and offer a comparison. I plan to use Alaska miles so want to know if it's worth the additional mileage.
100% F. It's much better. Private suite, onboard shower, caviar, Dom, just an all-round better experience. That's a flight where it's definitely worth it
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 1:42 pm

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Thank you for the quick response...forgot to add I do not drink so the Dom doesn't make difference however I am a foodie so that should make up for it I assume? and the novelty of a shower is a big plus...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: