Buying Miles

Old Jun 22, 14, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Buying Miles

Quick question. If I spot an upgrade at 24 hours on a saver fare but am short a few miles - if I purchase the difference will they post immediately or should I buy in advance?

Also - has anyone spotted a correlation between Flex Awards available in advance and the Saver Awards at 24 hours - at the moment with circa 72 hours to go Expert Flyer shows 7 Flex Awards on the flight and there are 4 of us. Should I even think we have a chance of an upgrade?
Old Jun 22, 14, 10:42 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by refjohn1 View Post
Quick question. If I spot an upgrade at 24 hours on a saver fare but am short a few miles - if I purchase the difference will they post immediately or should I buy in advance?

Also - has anyone spotted a correlation between Flex Awards available in advance and the Saver Awards at 24 hours - at the moment with circa 72 hours to go Expert Flyer shows 7 Flex Awards on the flight and there are 4 of us. Should I even think we have a chance of an upgrade?
You need d class availability for upgrades which is the saver bucket and nothing to do with flex rewards. You upgrade saver or flex tickets to d class.

And miles post instantly so no need to waste your money if d class isn't available.
Old Jun 22, 14, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Thx m3red - key as you say is that the miles post instantly. Not overly worried as we will have miles for the trip home once the mileage for the outbound posts.
Old Jun 22, 14, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by refjohn1 View Post
there are 4 of us. Should I even think we have a chance of an upgrade?
Depending on the route, if it's long haul or ULH then very little chances using miles right up to check in. It appears that availability in D going up to 7 is more of an oddity than the norm

With op-ups if all of you're all on the same booking then forget about it altogether.

But here's a trick to actually go in J. Purchase the miles you need now. Once you board the aircraft tell the flight attendant that you'd like to upgrade. They'll come around and if there are 4 vacant seats in J, they'll process the upgrade from your account on the fly.
Old Jun 23, 14, 3:38 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
Depending on the route, if it's long haul or ULH then very little chances using miles right up to check in. It appears that availability in D going up to 7 is more of an oddity than the norm

With op-ups if all of you're all on the same booking then forget about it altogether.

But here's a trick to actually go in J. Purchase the miles you need now. Once you board the aircraft tell the flight attendant that you'd like to upgrade. They'll come around and if there are 4 vacant seats in J, they'll process the upgrade from your account on the fly.
Note upgrade on board is only available to plat gold and silver
Old Jun 23, 14, 6:58 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by m3red View Post
And you need your Skywards card in hand too I believe?
Old Jun 23, 14, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by mrtdxb View Post
And you need your Skywards card in hand too I believe?
A screenshot of it (or the temp card off the website) on your phone will suffice.
Old Jun 23, 14, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
A screenshot of it (or the temp card off the website) on your phone will suffice.
Have just hit silver and have a printout of card - unless it miraculously appears with 48 hours. Thx all for help - let's see if any space now.
Old Jun 23, 14, 1:35 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by m3red View Post
Can I upgrade 2 of us on board, if only one is Silver? All the points would be from my account.

Cheers
Old Jun 23, 14, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Can I upgrade 2 of us on board, if only one is Silver? All the points would be from my account.

Cheers
Yes, if the person whose account the miles are coming from is Silver or above (and you have the card etc. etc.) and the purser is okay with it, which is usually always.
Old Jun 23, 14, 3:06 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by eternaltransit View Post
Yes, if the person whose account the miles are coming from is Silver or above (and you have the card etc. etc.) and the purser is okay with it, which is usually always.
Ta. I might try and get into F on my flight back to MAN in a couple of months. Assuming the Home Office manage to process my missus's passport by then
Old Jun 23, 14, 11:39 pm

Programs: EK, QF, VA
I usually buy J seats outright, or upgrade using miles a week or two before the flight, but if I was travelling on a Y saver fare and was on an A380, and I boarded the aircraft through the Y door, how would I get to the upper deck if the purser allowed me to upgrade on board? Is there an internal staircase that the public can use, or would they send me back down the airbridge to walk to the upper deck from the airbridge entrance. Just curious.
Old Jun 23, 14, 11:52 pm

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by evilbrian View Post
I usually buy J seats outright, or upgrade using miles a week or two before the flight, but if I was travelling on a Y saver fare and was on an A380, and I boarded the aircraft through the Y door, how would I get to the upper deck if the purser allowed me to upgrade on board? Is there an internal staircase that the public can use, or would they send me back down the airbridge to walk to the upper deck from the airbridge entrance. Just curious.
There is a staircase both at the front and rear of the a/c. The staircase at the front of the a/c is the one from where they will send you up to the upper deck.
Old Jun 23, 14, 11:59 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Ta. I might try and get into F on my flight back to MAN in a couple of months. Assuming the Home Office manage to process my missus's passport by then
Same day appointment is the way to do it. I think it was an extra 40 or 50 but got it in an hour and a bit but its worth it.The best bit is that anyone can apply for you as long as the passport holder is physically present in the UK at the time of application.
Old Jun 24, 14, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by jackiedada View Post
The staircase at the front of the a/c is the one from where they will send you up to the upper deck.
Only done it once, but I went up the back staircase and through the J galley.

I'd been sitting towards the back of Y, so that route was probably more convenient.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: