Should I wait or go for it?

Old Jun 17, 14, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Should I wait or go for it?

Hi guys.

I have 25k miles to burn.

Flying in Y on the 29th DUR-LHR-DUR. Want to upgrade to J with miles but there is no availability on that route yet.

I am also doing DUR-LGW-DUR leaving on Christmas Day and returning on New Years Day.

The DXB-LGW and LGW-DXB have upgrade space, but I would prefer to upgrade the flight I have coming in two weeks. Should I go for the LGW flight as I risk losing those seats or should I wait (and pray) that something opens on EK0001 or EK0004 in June/July?

Can anyone predict whether space will pop up? It is DXB-LHR EK0001 on the 30th June and returning EK0004 on the 13th of July. EF shows that the flight is 0 in all classes but a dummy booking shows that there is space in all so it could go either way...

The reason I would prefer to upgrade the LHR route first is because I will get 20k miles (hopefully) from my DUR-LAX-DUR in September, so I will buy 5k and use that to upgrade the DXB-LGW leg.

Thanks all.
Old Jun 17, 14, 12:27 pm

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Ahmed777 View Post
...Can anyone predict whether space will pop up?..
I'd be watching out for anyone who can...
Old Jun 17, 14, 1:26 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Ahmed777 View Post
Hi guys.

I have 25k miles to burn.

Flying in Y on the 29th DUR-LHR-DUR. Want to upgrade to J with miles but there is no availability on that route yet.

I am also doing DUR-LGW-DUR leaving on Christmas Day and returning on New Years Day.

The DXB-LGW and LGW-DXB have upgrade space, but I would prefer to upgrade the flight I have coming in two weeks. Should I go for the LGW flight as I risk losing those seats or should I wait (and pray) that something opens on EK0001 or EK0004 in June/July?

Can anyone predict whether space will pop up? It is DXB-LHR EK0001 on the 30th June and returning EK0004 on the 13th of July. EF shows that the flight is 0 in all classes but a dummy booking shows that there is space in all so it could go either way...

The reason I would prefer to upgrade the LHR route first is because I will get 20k miles (hopefully) from my DUR-LAX-DUR in September, so I will buy 5k and use that to upgrade the DXB-LGW leg.

Thanks all.
Upgrade what you can now, ek 1 is very difficult... If eg shows 0 now you have little or no chance and just because they Will sell a seat doesn't mean there is availability they are most likely over selling..,,
Old Jun 17, 14, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by m3red View Post
Upgrade what you can now . . .
And if the other one becomes available, cancel the one you've booked, the miles will go back into youir account, and you can upgrade on your preferred flight.
Old Jun 18, 14, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Thanks guys. I am just confirming my DXB-SFO and LAX-DXB and will check for availability there first as that is what I would really prefer.

Thanks for the help!

PS: The LGW still has 3 D-class left so I am hoping it stays for about two days...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: