Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Why sometimes EK pricing makes my blood boil

Old Jun 15, 14, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex

Rant starts...now.

This is the EF availability for a certain medium haul route departing a few days before the Eid holiday:

J7 C0 I0 O0 P0 Y9 E9 R0 W0 M0 B0 U0 K0 H0 Q0 L0 T0 V0 X0

The ticket pricing on the EK.com reflects the above with much higher than usual Economy fares departing DXB.

You would think that the flight is very full, but it's not with the EF seat map showing about 62/385 (16%) seats assigned... but only full fare or near full fare Econ tickets available. (same with J for that matter with 6/42 seats showing taken and only J fare available).

I realize that the seat map does not show actual seats sold, but there is a correlation there and it's a decent indicator. I've never seen a seat map this empty with that kind of fare availability.

I've actually sometimes seen fares come down on EK closer to travel date so I'm inclined to wait, but this is still highly annoying.

OK, rant over. Had to vent. Sorry.
Old Jun 15, 14, 6:34 am

Flight i am on in august is showing F1A0 and not a thing on seat map, perhaps the flight is heavily sold despite the seat map.
Old Jun 15, 14, 6:42 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by extramileage View Post
Rant starts...now.

This is the EF availability for a certain medium haul route departing a few days before the Eid holiday:

The ticket pricing on the EK.com reflects the above with much higher than usual Economy fares departing DXB.

You would think that the flight is very full, but it's not with the EF seat map showing about 62/385 (16%) seats assigned... but only full fare or near full fare Econ tickets available. (same with J for that matter with 6/42 seats showing taken and only J fare available).

I realize that the seat map does not show actual seats sold, but there is a correlation there and it's a decent indicator. I've never seen a seat map this empty with that kind of fare availability.

I've actually sometimes seen fares come down on EK closer to travel date so I'm inclined to wait, but this is still highly annoying.

Where are you going?

I'm off to Jordan 3-6 but booked ex UK so in effect DXB to AMM was 50 pounds more....

All airlines do this - not just EK, supply and demand...the UK get royally done over during school holidays.
Old Jun 15, 14, 8:52 am

As you said there may be a correlation between seat maps and # of seats sold but there is also great variability. Recently, I flew (on AA) in J in a 9-seat cabin. Availability was something like J3 D3 I3 a few days before the flight. The seat map was completely empty at OLCI. It was also completely empty (besides me) four hours before the flight. It ended up going with 8/9 seats taken.

It is possible that the other pax were upgraded due to status/upgrade instruments but given that the flight showed J3 D3 I3, I am inclined to think the seats were actually sold and just not pre-assigned. (Y was not full, so I think opups are unlikely.)
Old Jun 15, 14, 11:31 am

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
If it is the holiday crowd, then the seat map is not a good indication as they haven't bothered about seats/ they are part of a larger group and their travel agent is handling everything. I've seen flights to JFK going full in Jul/Aug with the seat map just showing 30% occupancy.
Old Jun 15, 14, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
a few days before the Eid holiday:

You would think that the flight is very full, but it's not
This is terrible pricing strategy.

What EK should have done is file special fares at regular + 50% and influence the flights accordingly in revenue management. The availability in lower classes would be much higher but the available fares would be the same as they are now and EK would still sell plenty of seats.

Closer to departure EK should close out lower classes so that passengers paying for J, Y and E inventory would be paying much more than under the current model.
Old Jun 15, 14, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom View Post
This is terrible pricing strategy.

What EK should have done is file special fares at regular + 50% and influence the flights accordingly in revenue management. The availability in lower classes would be much higher but the available fares would be the same as they are now and EK would still sell plenty of seats.

Closer to departure EK should close out lower classes so that passengers paying for J, Y and E inventory would be paying much more than under the current model.
But isn't it possible that the flight is already almost sold out which is why EK has closed out the lower classes?
Old Jun 15, 14, 11:17 pm

I realize that the seat map does not show actual seats sold
OK, so you do know better.

but there is a correlation there and it's a decent indicator.
It is not a reliable correlation. You pretty much admitted as much above.
Old Jun 17, 14, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by blue2002 View Post

It is not a reliable correlation. You pretty much admitted as much above.
I only make the statement as I know the patterns of this particular route quite well and this is likely EK just holding out on fare buckets...because they can (their right to do so).
Old Jun 17, 14, 8:25 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Silver, Qatar Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG, Hilton
agree with your hypothesis

Rant starts...now.

I tend to agree with your hypothesis, as I was searching just today for EK flights to AMM and noticed the same thing. Robbery Y prices while the seat maps are showing bout 60% availability.

Just as strange, doing a search on ITA from DXB to AMM brings up QR as the cheapest fare at AED 1,210 yet I cannot replicate that fare on QR site or Kayak. Which seems to indicate that QR is also doing the same thing.

Heck even FZ is showing AED 2,500 to AMM !!
Old Jun 17, 14, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by sammy7 View Post
I tend to agree with your hypothesis, as I was searching just today for EK flights to AMM and noticed the same thing. Robbery Y prices while the seat maps are showing bout 60% availability.

Just as strange, doing a search on ITA from DXB to AMM brings up QR as the cheapest fare at AED 1,210 yet I cannot replicate that fare on QR site or Kayak. Which seems to indicate that QR is also doing the same thing.

Heck even FZ is showing AED 2,500 to AMM !!
Try ex- DWC/SHJ or even AUH. Usually omeir travel ( www.omeir.com ) gives a nice round up of available fares ex the UAE, all bookable.
Jazeera is always a good under dog via KWI.
Old Jun 17, 14, 8:57 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Silver, Qatar Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG, Hilton
I did try DWC/SHJ/AUH/DXB all the same. I even went as far as searching from MUS to compare, but again pricing is multiples above the norm .

Tnx for the omeir.com, I will check it out.
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:35 am

I only make the statement as I know the patterns of this particular route quite well and this is likely EK just holding out on fare buckets...because they can (their right to do so).
Point taken. Agreed.
Old Jun 18, 14, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan View Post
But isn't it possible that the flight is already almost sold out which is why EK has closed out the lower classes?
The move from 9 in one class to 0 in the next lower suggests that classes are not closing out organically. If they were I would expect something like J9 C3 I1.
Old Jun 19, 14, 5:45 pm

I think this was discussed before. To get a better idea about a certain flight A-B, search for availability on X-A-B where you know that X-A is wide open. Try different values for X (long haul/short haul).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: