Ek28 gla-dxb

Old Jun 10, 14, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Ek28 gla-dxb

We just made a booking for GLA-MEL returns in J class leaving in January and returning in March. In 'Manage a Booking' I tried to see what upgrades were available (each have 84K miles) and the only leg available was EK28 GLA-DXB. From memory, the last few times we've been on this flight it has not had First Class and my query was:

If it is only 2 class in January why is an upgrade available? Does this imply there will be a 1st class cabin on this flight or would it just be miles down the drain if we upgraded?

Incidentally it's 28 and 408 (via KUL) out and 405 (via SIN) and 27 back. 777-300ER all the way (we tried the A380 and prefer these planes). We did the same itinerary twice before and found the 3 x 6 or 7 hour flights either way broke up the long journey well and it gave just over an hour in the DXB lounges ideal plus visits to KUL, MEL and SIN lounges. This time we'll be able to use the new GLA lounge as well. Currently we've picked seats 9J and 9K on 3 legs and had to take 10J and 10K on 27. Prefer not to be in rows 7 or 8 with bulkhead behind or in front; row 6 taken on all flights.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old Jun 10, 14, 9:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by OzTennis View Post
We just made a booking for GLA-MEL returns in J class leaving in January and returning in March. In 'Manage a Booking' I tried to see what upgrades were available (each have 84K miles) and the only leg available was EK28 GLA-DXB. From memory, the last few times we've been on this flight it has not had First Class and my query was:

If it is only 2 class in January why is an upgrade available? Does this imply there will be a 1st class cabin on this flight or would it just be miles down the drain if we upgraded?

Incidentally it's 28 and 408 (via KUL) out and 405 (via SIN) and 27 back. 777-300ER all the way (we tried the A380 and prefer these planes). We did the same itinerary twice before and found the 3 x 6 or 7 hour flights either way broke up the long journey well and it gave just over an hour in the DXB lounges ideal plus visits to KUL, MEL and SIN lounges. This time we'll be able to use the new GLA lounge as well. Currently we've picked seats 9J and 9K on 3 legs and had to take 10J and 10K on 27. Prefer not to be in rows 7 or 8 with bulkhead behind or in front; row 6 taken on all flights.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Yes it implies that there will be F on the flight.

Row 6 is blocked until check in.

My advice would be to upgrade DXB to MEL or visa versa or the DXB to GLA leg to take advantage of the DXB lounge and or the longer sectors if you dont mind burning the miles.
Old Jun 10, 14, 2:01 pm

EK27/28 has had an F cabin since June 2012 when the second daily flight was launched.

EK25/26 has always had 3 classes although it started service with an A340-300 which wasn't great.

What you may be thinking about is that there have been discussions on here where the scheduled 3 class has been replaced with a two class aircraft on occasions. If you've been caught by one of these changes it's just bad luck.

More than one means you're jinxed

I'd be confident in upgrading if that's what you want to do, but check MMB frequently anyway to look for changes.
Old Jun 11, 14, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies guys; yes got caught last time with a late change of plane to 2 class - the knock-on effects of which were getting moved from selected aisle seats to ones in the middle and getting off the plane in the wee hours of the morning in MEL to find that our booked chaffeur drive had disappeared from the system (a day before departure we had aisle seats and chaffeur booked)!!!

We would be extremely jinxed to have that happen again so will assume 3 class is likely on 28. As mentioned, upgrade from DXB to MEL would be better to enjoy 1st lounge in DXB. However, last 2 or 3 trips I booked at least 5 months before we flew and every time I checked in MMB there were no upgrades available on any of the sectors we flew - which made me wonder what's the use of miles if you can't use them to upgrade.

Is there any pattern to when upgrades become available? Close to departure, a long time from departure is it completely random?
Old Jun 11, 14, 4:59 am
Original Poster

??? In Manage my Booking, when I go to Upgrade with Miles it says there are upgrades available on the first leg but it has a message below to say they are not available and I can't click on the flight to upgrade (if I wanted to)

Business to First EK028 06 Jan 15 Glasgow, United Kingdom(GLA) to Dubai, United Arab Emirates(DXB) Yes 2

Sorry, there are no reward seats available in the next higher class for the flight(s) chosen. Please try again closer to departure.

The Upgrade Cost and Upgrade Now buttons are not available.
Old Jun 11, 14, 12:59 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

??? In Manage my Booking, when I go to Upgrade with Miles it says there are upgrades available on the first leg but it has a message below to say they are not available and I can't click on the flight to upgrade (if I wanted to)

Business to First EK028 06 Jan 15 Glasgow, United Kingdom(GLA) to Dubai, United Arab Emirates(DXB) Yes 2

Sorry, there are no reward seats available in the next higher class for the flight(s) chosen. Please try again closer to departure.

The Upgrade Cost and Upgrade Now buttons are not available.
It does that when there's only one seat available for upgrade. It's bit crappy.
Old Jun 12, 14, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
It does that when there's only one seat available for upgrade. It's bit crappy.
Thanks, so the 2 refers to what we are requesting, not what is available (which is only 1)?
Old Jun 12, 14, 5:02 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Thanks, so the 2 refers to what we are requesting, not what is available (which is only 1)?
Correct - in my experience.
Old Jun 13, 14, 12:39 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
You may recall that I flew from Glasgow to Auckland via Melbourne around the same time as your last trip. My booking was in J but I hoped to upgrade using miles. I was able to upgrade GLA to DXB and DXB to GLA through Manage My Booking, probably 6 months ahead of my trip. However DXB to AKL and AKL to DXB returned the dreaded "Sorry, there are no ..." message as did calls to EK up to and including the day of my flights but I was able to upgrade these legs, at the Business Lounge in Dubai on the outward leg and at the Check-in desk at Auckland Airport on the return. I was only trying to upgrade 1 pax and this was on the A380 flights however this possibility might be worth keeping in mind. Hope you enjoy the new EK Lounge, lots of work going on around it yesterday when I flew into GLA.
Old Jun 14, 14, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by albaonthego View Post
You may recall that I flew from Glasgow to Auckland via Melbourne around the same time as your last trip. My booking was in J but I hoped to upgrade using miles. I was able to upgrade GLA to DXB and DXB to GLA through Manage My Booking, probably 6 months ahead of my trip. However DXB to AKL and AKL to DXB returned the dreaded "Sorry, there are no ..." message as did calls to EK up to and including the day of my flights but I was able to upgrade these legs, at the Business Lounge in Dubai on the outward leg and at the Check-in desk at Auckland Airport on the return. I was only trying to upgrade 1 pax and this was on the A380 flights however this possibility might be worth keeping in mind. Hope you enjoy the new EK Lounge, lots of work going on around it yesterday when I flew into GLA.
Yes, I do recall that and thanks for suggestions. We've got 14K of our 85K'ish miles expiring at the end of October so it would be nice to get an upgrade before then via MMB or phone call. I'll certainly try, if unsuccessful with that before departure, at check in GLA and at J lounge in DXB. We'd still have enough miles to do all the outward journey or DXB-MEL or even part/all of inward journey. I find it frustrating how difficult it actually is to use miles for upgrades (experience from last 5 or 6 bookings) via MMB and as I've said before - what's the use of the miles if they aren't easily transferrable. No problems if you want to blow lots of miles on a pen or a watch though!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: