FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Am I entitled to a courtesy room from emirates? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1583434-am-i-entitled-courtesy-room-emirates.html)

farazk86 Jun 6, 14 11:55 pm

Am I entitled to a courtesy room from emirates?
 
Hi,

So I frequently travel between Newcastle, UK and Peshawar, Pakistan. When I'm going to Pakistan there is a 3 hour stay in Dubai before I am boarded to my connecting flight. Thats not too bad but on my way back there is a 20 hour stay in Dubai.

20 hours would be very difficult to spend in an airport.

This connection is not of my choosing but is the only and earliest connection offered by Emirates.

Last time I was offered a courtesy room in one of Emirates own hotels. But this time I was not. I called customer services and asked them why and they said our policy has changed regarding rooms.

They said there are 3 new rules that must be complied with before you are issued a room.

- The connecting flight is the earliest connection available. (check)
- The stay should be longer than 8 hours but less than 24 hours. (check)
- Your ticket should cost at least 800 ( what? )

I bought my ticket from emirates website, and it cost 550.

This was the price I was given. When the website is telling me 550, why would I pay 800 . (I would not have paid 800 anyway as that would be too much for this route)

Now I am just stuck, my flight back is on the 26th and I am worrying from now regarding my 20 hour stay.

Am I entitled a room? Who should I email or contact to ask them to review my request for a room?

Thank you

skibum7732 Jun 7, 14 2:02 am

HUCB and try again. Otherwise, just book and pay for a room yourself.

nomii Jun 7, 14 2:06 am

If all else fails, when you land in Dubai show up at the emirates desk where you've typically gotten your hotel confirmation page and nicely ask about it again.

jackal Jun 7, 14 11:26 am


Originally Posted by farazk86 (Post 22991988)
Hi,

So I frequently travel between Newcastle, UK and Peshawar, Pakistan. When I'm going to Pakistan there is a 3 hour stay in Dubai before I am boarded to my connecting flight. Thats not too bad but on my way back there is a 20 hour stay in Dubai.

20 hours would be very difficult to spend in an airport.

This connection is not of my choosing but is the only and earliest connection offered by Emirates.

Last time I was offered a courtesy room in one of Emirates own hotels. But this time I was not. I called customer services and asked them why and they said our policy has changed regarding rooms.

They said there are 3 new rules that must be complied with before you are issued a room.

- The connecting flight is the earliest connection available. (check)
- The stay should be longer than 8 hours but less than 24 hours. (check)
- Your ticket should cost at least 800 ( what? )

I bought my ticket from emirates website, and it cost 550.

This was the price I was given. When the website is telling me 550, why would I pay 800 . (I would not have paid 800 anyway as that would be too much for this route)

Now I am just stuck, my flight back is on the 26th and I am worrying from now regarding my 20 hour stay.

Am I entitled a room? Who should I email or contact to ask them to review my request for a room?

Thank you

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Since your question is specifically about Emirates, I'll go ahead and move this thread over to the Emirates forum for the experts there to provide further input.

Those responding, please note this thread began in the flame-free Information Desk.

jackal
Moderator, Information Desk

marconess Jun 7, 14 9:03 pm

There is an odd section now listed for Dubai Connect on the EK website which states:


Originally Posted by Emirates.com
Eligibility to ‘Dubai Connect’ will be determined against a minimum fare type paid for your Emirates flight. This is indicated during the booking process.


cdn1 Jun 12, 14 8:10 pm

EK trying to wiggle out of paying for hotel/food for pax when EK itself gives them 30 hours transit time......insane.......I'd rather choose another routing next time if they don't give hotel voucher.

Write them a letter. If nothing changes, change your route/airline perhaps. I know you're limited but maybe try QR or EY instead ?

LifeontheBeach Jun 14, 14 1:46 pm


Originally Posted by farazk86 (Post 22991988)
Hi,

So I frequently travel between Newcastle, UK and Peshawar, Pakistan. When I'm going to Pakistan there is a 3 hour stay in Dubai before I am boarded to my connecting flight. Thats not too bad but on my way back there is a 20 hour stay in Dubai.

20 hours would be very difficult to spend in an airport.

This connection is not of my choosing but is the only and earliest connection offered by Emirates.

Last time I was offered a courtesy room in one of Emirates own hotels. But this time I was not. I called customer services and asked them why and they said our policy has changed regarding rooms.

They said there are 3 new rules that must be complied with before you are issued a room.

- The connecting flight is the earliest connection available. (check)
- The stay should be longer than 8 hours but less than 24 hours. (check)
- Your ticket should cost at least 800 ( what? )

I bought my ticket from emirates website, and it cost 550.

This was the price I was given. When the website is telling me 550, why would I pay 800 . (I would not have paid 800 anyway as that would be too much for this route)

Now I am just stuck, my flight back is on the 26th and I am worrying from now regarding my 20 hour stay.

Am I entitled a room? Who should I email or contact to ask them to review my request for a room?

Thank you

Every airline is going cheap now. This systemic problem is not confined to EK only. But I agree that 20 hours transit is insane.

As I see it, your choices are to cancel the ticket (and make sure next time that the transit time is somewhat reasonable) and book with someone else as Cdn1 suggested, or, just think of the money you saved this time and grin and bear it.

Dave Noble Jun 14, 14 5:01 pm


Originally Posted by LifeontheBeach (Post 23034312)
Every airline is going cheap now. This systemic problem is not confined to EK only. But I agree that 20 hours transit is insane.

As I see it, your choices are to cancel the ticket (and make sure next time that the transit time is somewhat reasonable) and book with someone else as Cdn1 suggested, or, just think of the money you saved this time and grin and bear it.

20 hours transit is a long time, but the OP was the one to actually book such a transit.

If the fare is ineligible for Dubai Connect, then just booking a hotel seems to be the way to go. Cancelling would probably be the worst of options , since I doubt that the fare is without a cancellation fee

grahampros Jun 15, 14 12:32 am

Seems a case of unrealistic expectation for 550 pound fare. If you were in J or F sure. No one forced the OP to book a flight with a 20 hour layover.

Havoc10G Jun 15, 14 9:13 am

Am I entitled to a courtesy room from emirates?
 
Agree. I don't understand the post tbh. Seems rules are clear. Spend a minimum to get a room. Don't spend the minimum then pay for your own room. We may think the airline is being cheap but they have explained their criteria.

HelloKittysMum Jun 15, 14 11:11 am

It's not always passenger's choice to have a long layover. If both your legs are one flight a day then it happens.

subject2load Jun 15, 14 1:57 pm

EK have spelt out their criteria clearly enough, so you can't really expect these to be amended just because you find - having already bought a ticket to suit your itinerary - that you don't meet them.

They won't be making a whole lot of money on a 550 fare, and not surprisingly are reluctant to dilute their profit further by providing a comp hotel.

I get exercised when companies/service providers don't deliver what they have promised and been paid for. But .....if they haven't made any such promises in the first place ........

Dave Noble Jun 16, 14 12:32 am


Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum (Post 23037659)
It's not always passenger's choice to have a long layover. If both your legs are one flight a day then it happens.

It was the customer's choice to pick an airline where there was a long transit

Even if there are no options to avoid long transits, provision of accommodation for the transit is ,ime, the exception rather than the norm

HelloKittysMum Jun 16, 14 4:42 pm


Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 23040522)

Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum (Post 23037659)
It's not always passenger's choice to have a long layover. If both your legs are one flight a day then it happens.

It was the customer's choice to pick an airline where there was a long transit

Even if there are no options to avoid long transits, provision of accommodation for the transit is ,ime, the exception rather than the norm

If you are flying from regional airports then there is often little choice of routing.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:42 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.