Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

What does VIP on boarding pass do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG

So having, nosily!, looked at the purser tablet on my last flight. I saw the rankings and designations for categorising passengers. It goes : IO then VIP/ CIP (one category) then Plat then Gold then SS Gold. With numbers against each category on board if any.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
ok, so even the highest tier (Plat) is actually below the two discretionary levels handed out by EK...
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by jackiedada
ok, so even the highest tier (Plat) is actually below the two discretionary levels handed out by EK...
Yes!

Plats are behind io and cip or VIP
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:31 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG

Clearly plat would be behind io as this is a tier it's just not clear what the tier criteria are. I suppose VIP/CIP is more of a debate. Some might argue VIP should go above io.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by jackiedada
Originally Posted by Havoc10G
Clearly plat would be behind io as this is a tier it's just not clear what the tier criteria are. I suppose VIP/CIP is more of a debate. Some might argue VIP should go above io.
If someone with HH as his/her title and VIP on the bp is on a plane, I bet that would "technically" trump every other Skywards status pax on the plane in terms of attention

With regards to the Plat not being the highest tier in the programme - it's no different to BA's Premier compared with GGL/Gold, UA's Global Services...even people with no frequent flier status can be marked out for VIP treatment (so, BA's Special Services team come to mind). I'd say most major airlines have special VIP treatment protocols, especially national carriers. All Platinum status pax are people who fly a lot...
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by ung1
Interesting you mention this - I saw someone on Instagram who posted a picture showing EK F, with VIP/ Silver, traveling to/from LAX and ATH. Didn't seem to be anyone famous, but perhaps a young and upcoming celebrity?
Airlines will give movie houses (like Universal, Paramount, Warner Bros) their talent automatic VIP status when booked through their respective travel offices. It could have been a producer, actor or even a stagehand for that matter. I personally think it's more of an ego thing than anything else. Imagine the small fortune those three alone spend in travel (and cargo) a year. And that's just the movie industry. Airlines also give entire executive suites top tier in their mileage program just to incentivize them to fly.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 1:59 pm

So what's the Instagram username?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.