FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Truncated surname on air line ticket. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1577068-truncated-surname-air-line-ticket.html)

vtrat May 14, 2014 3:12 pm

Truncated surname on air line ticket.

Hi all,

I just booked my tickets to Colombo from London Heathrow and realised that my surname has been truncated 3 character from the end. This is because I've got a very long surname. So instead of what should be R******************AGE the ticket reads R******************A. I am assuming this is because of system character restrictions.

Would this be a huge problem?

I am not sure where my paranoia comes from really as I have travelled internationally, various times in the last 10 years with shortened versions of my name, abbreviated versions, wrong spellings etc. but have never been told off or denied boarding! I've spoken to the airline and they said it COULD be a problem, but, if you didn't have trouble before you PROBABLY might not have trouble this time. They have added a note on my ticket to say its missing the last two letters.

I am flying emirates and although I have travelled a lot in the last 10 years, I have never flown Emirates.This is probably why I am paranoid.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

pilote21 May 14, 2014 3:19 pm

Hi,

Don't worry, This is quite normal when you have a long surname. I have a very long surname too and I frequently fly with Emirates and I've never had any problems. After all, your complete name is registered in the airline database.

vtrat May 14, 2014 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by pilote21 (Post 22865049)
Hi,

Don't worry, This is quite normal when you have a long surname. I have a very long surname too and I frequently fly with Emirates and I've never had any problems. After all, your complete name is registered in the airline database.

Thanks pilote21, does your etickets show up with truncated names too? When I go in to manage my booking via their website, the name on there is truncated by three letters too. So, I am assuming it went in to the system truncated. Really hope this wont be a problem as a re-issue would cost a fortune as the cost of my ticket has gone up quite a lot.

pilote21 May 14, 2014 3:42 pm

My surname on tickets is always truncated by few letters but I don't remember whether is truncated in manage my booking or not. Is the beginning of your name correct ? If so, there is no problem, that's normal.

vtrat May 14, 2014 4:07 pm

Phew thanks! Yes the beginning until the last three digits are correct! :):)

marconess May 15, 2014 7:21 pm

(OT but trying to be helpful).

If you booked directly on Emirates.com remember to bring the Credit Card you purchased your flights with. They more often than not want to inspect this at Checkin at CMB.