Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Crew deployed emergency slide by mistake

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crew deployed emergency slide by mistake

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2014, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down Crew deployed emergency slide by mistake

EK433, due out of Brisbane to Dubai via Singapore.
On arrival crew have somehow deployed one of the emergency slides by mistake (front door by the look of it !!).

I am currently sitting in the lounge. They don't seem to have a plan !!!

Naturally no other EK planes here and prob not much tech for a 777.

Anybody have any ideas on possible delays - issues?

Brian
Old May 3, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
How did they manage to do that? Surely it isn't that easy to deploy and there are some safety measures in check?
Old May 3, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by BrianJC
EK433, due out of Brisbane to Dubai via Singapore.
On arrival crew have somehow deployed one of the emergency slides by mistake (front door by the look of it !!).

I am currently sitting in the lounge. They don't seem to have a plan !!!

Naturally no other EK planes here and prob not much tech for a 777.

Anybody have any ideas on possible delays - issues?

Brian
I doubt they'd let a plane fly with one of the exit slides not working. In an emergency that might be the only exit available in the unlikely event of a successful ditching/crash.
Old May 3, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Probably the slides weren't properly disarmed (nor X-checked ).
Old May 3, 2014, 6:01 pm

Looks like < 2 hour delay (departed 04:19). Good recovery.
Old May 3, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Probably the slides weren't properly disarmed (nor X-checked ).
This most likely. If so, very poor procedure on the two flight attendants in this area of the plane.
Old May 3, 2014, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by m3red
I doubt they'd let a plane fly with one of the exit slides not working. In an emergency that might be the only exit available in the unlikely event of a successful ditching/crash.
You can dispatch an aircraft with slides inoperative but you will take a seating penalty in terms of passenger numbers and where the passengers may be seated.

If the slides at door 1 were blown, that will likely mean no passengers permitted in First Class or anywhere forward of door 2.
Old May 3, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by B747-437B
You can dispatch an aircraft with slides inoperative but you will take a seating penalty in terms of passenger numbers and where the passengers may be seated.

If the slides at door 1 were blown, that will likely mean no passengers permitted in First Class or anywhere forward of door 2.
interesting, wonder what happened.
Old May 3, 2014, 11:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would assume that the FAs will be disciplined for this if their carelessness caused the situation.

Not being able to use the FA cabin would mean an unprofitable flight, so Emirates can't be happy about it even if there are enough seats for all of the passengers.
Old May 4, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would assume that the FAs will be disciplined for this if their carelessness caused the situation.

Not being able to use the FA cabin would mean an unprofitable flight, so Emirates can't be happy about it even if there are enough seats for all of the passengers.
I'd be willing to bet that the FA(s) involved wish they were just disiplined. EK is a very unforgiving employer when mistakes happen.
Old May 4, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: EK Platinum
That was the 3rd incident this year. Last year almost 15 in total.

Action: If it's a non-technical fault the FA get's immediately fired and the checker demoted. In very rare cases (if the record of the FA is very good) it might lead to final written warning plus back to training college.
Old May 4, 2014, 10:19 am

Assuming a 777-300 3 class bird and either door L1 or R1 no seat blocking occurs. But slide packs do not come cheap. No doubt some poor soul will be unceremoniously marched into the management offices on arrival back at DXB.

And yes, every now and again s&£t happens. Humans will always make mistakes. Distraction is a major cause of these events when tired.
Old May 4, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Originally Posted by w00t
That was the 3rd incident this year. Last year almost 15 in total.

Action: If it's a non-technical fault the FA get's immediately fired and the checker demoted. In very rare cases (if the record of the FA is very good) it might lead to final written warning plus back to training college.
Wow. Would never think that they were that strict. To actually fire them...

I'd assume that they would give them a warning and send them back to training. Poor FA's.
Old May 4, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: EK Platinum
Originally Posted by Sigwx
And yes, every now and again s&£t happens. Humans will always make mistakes. Distraction is a major cause of these events when tired.
Yep, lack of sleep is obviously the main reason for those incidents to happen.

It once happened to a gal that had an OZ flight, then the two legal days off, and then went straight to the US where it happened.
Old May 4, 2014, 4:37 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I was on a flight a few years ago where this almost happened. The flight deck only announced 'doors to manual' after the jetty had been attached, and the ground staff had knocked on the door.

The FA was just about to open the door when the announcement was made. She jumped back and made a squeal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.