Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Crew deployed emergency slide by mistake

Crew deployed emergency slide by mistake

Old May 3, 14, 9:44 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6
Thumbs down Crew deployed emergency slide by mistake

EK433, due out of Brisbane to Dubai via Singapore.
On arrival crew have somehow deployed one of the emergency slides by mistake (front door by the look of it !!).

I am currently sitting in the lounge. They don't seem to have a plan !!!

Naturally no other EK planes here and prob not much tech for a 777.

Anybody have any ideas on possible delays - issues?

Brian
BrianJC is offline  
Old May 3, 14, 11:13 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Durban, South Africa | LHR
Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Posts: 863
How did they manage to do that? Surely it isn't that easy to deploy and there are some safety measures in check?
Ahmed777 is offline  
Old May 3, 14, 12:01 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MAN DXB ✈️
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 6,467
Originally Posted by BrianJC View Post
EK433, due out of Brisbane to Dubai via Singapore.
On arrival crew have somehow deployed one of the emergency slides by mistake (front door by the look of it !!).

I am currently sitting in the lounge. They don't seem to have a plan !!!

Naturally no other EK planes here and prob not much tech for a 777.

Anybody have any ideas on possible delays - issues?

Brian
I doubt they'd let a plane fly with one of the exit slides not working. In an emergency that might be the only exit available in the unlikely event of a successful ditching/crash.
m3red is offline  
Old May 3, 14, 12:22 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Programs: Delta Silver, BA Bronze, Accor Gold, IHG Plat
Posts: 5,118
Probably the slides weren't properly disarmed (nor X-checked ).
KLflyerRalph is offline  
Old May 3, 14, 6:01 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,932
Looks like < 2 hour delay (departed 04:19). Good recovery.
ft101 is offline  
Old May 3, 14, 8:22 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Scotland, Spain
Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 673
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph View Post
Probably the slides weren't properly disarmed (nor X-checked ).
This most likely. If so, very poor procedure on the two flight attendants in this area of the plane.
marconess is offline  
Old May 3, 14, 10:59 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Exile
Posts: 14,847
Originally Posted by m3red View Post
I doubt they'd let a plane fly with one of the exit slides not working. In an emergency that might be the only exit available in the unlikely event of a successful ditching/crash.
You can dispatch an aircraft with slides inoperative but you will take a seating penalty in terms of passenger numbers and where the passengers may be seated.

If the slides at door 1 were blown, that will likely mean no passengers permitted in First Class or anywhere forward of door 2.
B747-437B is offline  
Old May 3, 14, 11:48 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MAN DXB ✈️
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 6,467
Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
You can dispatch an aircraft with slides inoperative but you will take a seating penalty in terms of passenger numbers and where the passengers may be seated.

If the slides at door 1 were blown, that will likely mean no passengers permitted in First Class or anywhere forward of door 2.
interesting, wonder what happened.
m3red is offline  
Old May 3, 14, 11:51 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 90,140
I would assume that the FAs will be disciplined for this if their carelessness caused the situation.

Not being able to use the FA cabin would mean an unprofitable flight, so Emirates can't be happy about it even if there are enough seats for all of the passengers.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old May 4, 14, 7:24 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SEA
Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
Posts: 758
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I would assume that the FAs will be disciplined for this if their carelessness caused the situation.

Not being able to use the FA cabin would mean an unprofitable flight, so Emirates can't be happy about it even if there are enough seats for all of the passengers.
I'd be willing to bet that the FA(s) involved wish they were just disiplined. EK is a very unforgiving employer when mistakes happen.
Catusa is offline  
Old May 4, 14, 7:42 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: DXB
Programs: EK Platinum
Posts: 289
That was the 3rd incident this year. Last year almost 15 in total.

Action: If it's a non-technical fault the FA get's immediately fired and the checker demoted. In very rare cases (if the record of the FA is very good) it might lead to final written warning plus back to training college.
w00t is offline  
Old May 4, 14, 10:19 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,201
Assuming a 777-300 3 class bird and either door L1 or R1 no seat blocking occurs. But slide packs do not come cheap. No doubt some poor soul will be unceremoniously marched into the management offices on arrival back at DXB.

And yes, every now and again s&Łt happens. Humans will always make mistakes. Distraction is a major cause of these events when tired.
Sigwx is offline  
Old May 4, 14, 10:20 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Durban, South Africa | LHR
Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Posts: 863
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
That was the 3rd incident this year. Last year almost 15 in total.

Action: If it's a non-technical fault the FA get's immediately fired and the checker demoted. In very rare cases (if the record of the FA is very good) it might lead to final written warning plus back to training college.
Wow. Would never think that they were that strict. To actually fire them...

I'd assume that they would give them a warning and send them back to training. Poor FA's.
Ahmed777 is offline  
Old May 4, 14, 11:55 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: DXB
Programs: EK Platinum
Posts: 289
Originally Posted by Sigwx View Post
And yes, every now and again s&Łt happens. Humans will always make mistakes. Distraction is a major cause of these events when tired.
Yep, lack of sleep is obviously the main reason for those incidents to happen.

It once happened to a gal that had an OZ flight, then the two legal days off, and then went straight to the US where it happened.
w00t is offline  
Old May 4, 14, 4:37 pm
  #15  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 15,445
I was on a flight a few years ago where this almost happened. The flight deck only announced 'doors to manual' after the jetty had been attached, and the ground staff had knocked on the door.

The FA was just about to open the door when the announcement was made. She jumped back and made a squeal
DYKWIA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: