FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Crew deployed emergency slide by mistake (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1574085-crew-deployed-emergency-slide-mistake.html)

BrianJC May 3, 2014 9:44 am

Crew deployed emergency slide by mistake

EK433, due out of Brisbane to Dubai via Singapore.
On arrival crew have somehow deployed one of the emergency slides by mistake (front door by the look of it !!).

I am currently sitting in the lounge. They don't seem to have a plan !!!

Naturally no other EK planes here and prob not much tech for a 777.

:mad:Anybody have any ideas on possible delays - issues?

Brian

Ahmed777 May 3, 2014 11:13 am

How did they manage to do that? Surely it isn't that easy to deploy and there are some safety measures in check?

m3red May 3, 2014 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by BrianJC (Post 22803391)
EK433, due out of Brisbane to Dubai via Singapore.
On arrival crew have somehow deployed one of the emergency slides by mistake (front door by the look of it !!).

I am currently sitting in the lounge. They don't seem to have a plan !!!

Naturally no other EK planes here and prob not much tech for a 777.

:mad:Anybody have any ideas on possible delays - issues?

Brian

I doubt they'd let a plane fly with one of the exit slides not working. In an emergency that might be the only exit available in the unlikely event of a successful ditching/crash.

KLflyerRalph May 3, 2014 12:22 pm

Probably the slides weren't properly disarmed (nor X-checked :eek: ).

ft101 May 3, 2014 6:01 pm

Looks like < 2 hour delay (departed 04:19). Good recovery.

marconess May 3, 2014 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph (Post 22804035)
Probably the slides weren't properly disarmed (nor X-checked :eek: ).

This most likely. If so, very poor procedure on the two flight attendants in this area of the plane.

B747-437B May 3, 2014 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by m3red (Post 22803953)
I doubt they'd let a plane fly with one of the exit slides not working. In an emergency that might be the only exit available in the unlikely event of a successful ditching/crash.

You can dispatch an aircraft with slides inoperative but you will take a seating penalty in terms of passenger numbers and where the passengers may be seated.

If the slides at door 1 were blown, that will likely mean no passengers permitted in First Class or anywhere forward of door 2.

m3red May 3, 2014 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post 22806164)
You can dispatch an aircraft with slides inoperative but you will take a seating penalty in terms of passenger numbers and where the passengers may be seated.

If the slides at door 1 were blown, that will likely mean no passengers permitted in First Class or anywhere forward of door 2.

interesting, wonder what happened.

MSPeconomist May 3, 2014 11:51 pm

I would assume that the FAs will be disciplined for this if their carelessness caused the situation.

Not being able to use the FA cabin would mean an unprofitable flight, so Emirates can't be happy about it even if there are enough seats for all of the passengers.

Catusa May 4, 2014 7:24 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 22806268)
I would assume that the FAs will be disciplined for this if their carelessness caused the situation.

Not being able to use the FA cabin would mean an unprofitable flight, so Emirates can't be happy about it even if there are enough seats for all of the passengers.

I'd be willing to bet that the FA(s) involved wish they were just disiplined. EK is a very unforgiving employer when mistakes happen.

w00t May 4, 2014 7:42 am

That was the 3rd incident this year. Last year almost 15 in total. :)

Action: If it's a non-technical fault the FA get's immediately fired and the checker demoted. In very rare cases (if the record of the FA is very good) it might lead to final written warning plus back to training college.

Sigwx May 4, 2014 10:19 am

Assuming a 777-300 3 class bird and either door L1 or R1 no seat blocking occurs. But slide packs do not come cheap. No doubt some poor soul will be unceremoniously marched into the management offices on arrival back at DXB.

And yes, every now and again s&£t happens. Humans will always make mistakes. Distraction is a major cause of these events when tired.

Ahmed777 May 4, 2014 10:20 am

Originally Posted by w00t (Post 22807414)
That was the 3rd incident this year. Last year almost 15 in total. :)

Action: If it's a non-technical fault the FA get's immediately fired and the checker demoted. In very rare cases (if the record of the FA is very good) it might lead to final written warning plus back to training college.

Wow. Would never think that they were that strict. To actually fire them...

I'd assume that they would give them a warning and send them back to training. Poor FA's.

w00t May 4, 2014 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Sigwx (Post 22807968)
And yes, every now and again s&£t happens. Humans will always make mistakes. Distraction is a major cause of these events when tired.

Yep, lack of sleep is obviously the main reason for those incidents to happen.

It once happened to a gal that had an OZ flight, then the two legal days off, and then went straight to the US where it happened.

DYKWIA May 4, 2014 4:37 pm

I was on a flight a few years ago where this almost happened. The flight deck only announced 'doors to manual' after the jetty had been attached, and the ground staff had knocked on the door.

The FA was just about to open the door when the announcement was made. She jumped back and made a squeal :)