FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   DXB-SEA - pretty view? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1572086-dxb-sea-pretty-view.html)

Xlr Apr 26, 2014 12:15 am

DXB-SEA - pretty view?

Trying to make the aisle vs window decision on this flight (EK229), wondering if the views are good.

For perspective, I think the views out of EK201 are worth being in the window seat for. (Although that is an A380, and being in the front section means no wing to block your view)

whimike Apr 26, 2014 1:08 am

I think it has great views as you go right over the North Pole. The mountains as you fly over Canada are awesome.

JTXC Apr 26, 2014 9:06 am

Just keep in mind: in a few weeks the arctic will be 24-hrs daylight. I am sure the FAs will ask you to lower the window shade in order to allow other passengers to sleep!

Zol Apr 26, 2014 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by whimike (Post 22763781)
I think it has great views as you go right over the North Pole. The mountains as you fly over Canada are awesome.

+1. You can even spot the US-Canada border if you concentrate.

whimike Apr 26, 2014 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by JTXC (Post 22764792)
Just keep in mind: in a few weeks the arctic will be 24-hrs daylight. I am sure the FAs will ask you to lower the window shade in order to allow other passengers to sleep!

Ha! Not in F if the offender has his suite doors closed and the privacy sigh on. I had to suffer through a 14 hour night flight with the cabin lit up like daytime.

Xlr Apr 27, 2014 12:19 am

Thanks for your input everyone. Window it is, then :D

jackiedada Apr 27, 2014 1:26 am

Originally Posted by whimike (Post 22767335)
Ha! Not in F if the offender has his suite doors closed and the privacy sigh on. I had to suffer through a 14 hour night flight with the cabin lit up like daytime.

Identical situation in my recent DXB-BOS flight. Person in 2A decided that that the reading lights were not enough and he needed some natural light to review his documents....

subject2load Apr 27, 2014 2:34 am

Personally I was never able to get more than about a couple of hours (continuous) sleep on a plane, and even the arrival of the F suite with all its comforts hasn't made much difference in that regard. I do like the overall cabin noise level to be as low as possible during the night, but the light factor doesn't really make much difference to me. I will generally be listening to music or reading - though with blinds closed out of respect for others, and reading light on.

But for those who ARE troubled by natural light ...... I always assumed eyeshades were the answer ...... ? Are they are of no help to you ...??

whimike Apr 27, 2014 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load (Post 22767979)
But for those who ARE troubled by natural light ...... I always assumed eyeshades were the answer ...... ? Are they are of no help to you ...??

I can't sleep with something pressing my my eyes/face.

ft101 Apr 27, 2014 11:40 pm

Hot chocolate and being read a story for me.

Should EK provide these?

whimike Apr 28, 2014 8:28 am

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 22772047)
Hot chocolate and being read a story for me.

Should EK provide these?

Sounds like a great new perk they can implement! :D

15cats Apr 29, 2014 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Zol (Post 22765758)
+1. You can even spot the US-Canada border if you concentrate.

I imagine some people think this is sarcasm, but it is not. On a clear day in and out of SEA you should be able to see the border. The entire border has a 6m "no-touch zone" where all the trees have been clear cut. Quite distinct. Somewhat interesting and definitely visible if you know what to look for.

mercruiser Apr 30, 2014 7:58 am

Originally Posted by JTXC (Post 22764792)

I've been on this route four times. In every case the FAs asked everyone to close their window shades - and everyone in my section complied. That seems to be the expectation on this flight.

CDKing Apr 30, 2014 12:32 pm

Or in my case on A380 LAX-DXB the windows were locked in the shut position