Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Dubai connect on EK award F ticket using AS miles?

Dubai connect on EK award F ticket using AS miles?

Old May 4, 2014, 12:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by m3red
Because I live in dubai am stuck with ek and getting reward seats is a real challenge and it's hard to earn points. Some other partner programmes where it's easier to earn miles and seems to be easier for people to get redemptions!
if a partner programme is so much easier to earn miles on, you can always earn there. You are not forced to use EK through living in Dubai, there are plenty of airlines that serve Dubai, you choose to use Ek
Old May 4, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
if a partner programme is so much easier to earn miles on, you can always earn there. You are not forced to use EK through living in Dubai, there are plenty of airlines that serve Dubai, you choose to use Ek
I chose the airline that goes direct. Not much choice around here.
Old May 7, 2014, 2:25 pm

Lightbulb

Because I live in dubai am stuck with ek and getting reward seats is a real challenge and it's hard to earn points. Some other partner programmes where it's easier to earn miles and seems to be easier for people to get redemptions!

I don't see why you should even be able to use partner miles to the detriment of ek flyers also looking for reward space. My view is ek should look after it's own flyers first...
I've been on paid biz class seats on EK 777 aircraft on eight flight segments. In every case, I could see that first class was less than half full. In the specific instance of my upcoming SEA-DXB-JNB trip, there has never been more than one Z fare available for AS mileage redemption in first class. Looking at the seat map on Expert Flyer, there are no first class seats assigned on any of the flight segments. Clearly, EK's policy is to get paid for first class and not make many of these seats available for upgrades or mile redemption.

I don't think your problem is with AS flyers. It is with EK's policy to get paid for first class seats instead of offering them to frequent fliers.
Old May 7, 2014, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by mercruiser
I've been on paid biz class seats on EK 777 aircraft on eight flight segments. In every case, I could see that first class was less than half full. In the specific instance of my upcoming SEA-DXB-JNB trip, there has never been more than one Z fare available for AS mileage redemption in first class. Looking at the seat map on Expert Flyer, there are no first class seats assigned on any of the flight segments. Clearly, EK's policy is to get paid for first class and not make many of these seats available for upgrades or mile redemption.

I don't think your problem is with AS flyers. It is with EK's policy to get paid for first class seats instead of offering them to frequent fliers.
The issue there is that dxb jnb goes out full most of the time.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by mercruiser

Two totally different issues.

If there are no seats available then it's a level playing field.

If seats are available, AS fliers appear to be able to get them too easily.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Tried to find it but...

no luck. I thought I saw a thread here before my last trip to Dubai. Flying in F on an AS awards SEA-DBX-LGW. No hotel for the overnight in Dubai, right? However, I thought I read that a phone call to Emirates will result in a limo to and from my overnight hotel? Is that right? I also have a limo from LGW into central London booked. Many thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:41 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Or could it be that Alaska has a FAIRLY useful booking tool so we CAN find the seats? I searched for a few days on my Round the World trip, and settled on a Malta-Dubai-Houston-Seattle-Juneau leg in F. We're able to look fairly easily at EK's inventory and Emirates seems to come up in a LOT of Europe-West Coast USA searches (despite the high spend).

Looking at my seatmap on Emirates.com, I'm the only one in First from Malta to Dubai, and there are only 2 other seats taken in F on DXB-IAH.

You also need to realize that Alaska (the state) would cover most of Europe. Many of us rack up miles quickly flying - and Alaska rewards us well. My 50K mile bonus upon reaching top tier is the only reason I forked out miles for First class on EK.

(and for the record I have flown EK a handful of times, mostly in business ultra long haul)
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Recently redeemed LAX-DXB-ICN all in A380 F for this March. Even having bought some of the miles needed, it was a bargain price. It almost felt too easy to get the award I needed on EK F.

I'm not sure exactly how the economics works out for AS and EK, but I'm not complaining.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
Recently redeemed LAX-DXB-ICN all in A380 F for this March. Even having bought some of the miles needed, it was a bargain price. It almost felt too easy to get the award I needed on EK F.

I'm not sure exactly how the economics works out for AS and EK, but I'm not complaining.
And I'm ek gold over 100k tier miles and I struggle to get two j to f upgrades on dxb to man or man to dxb....

Loyal to their skywards members ek...
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus, AMEX Platinum
And I'm ek gold over 100k tier miles and I struggle to get two j to f upgrades on dxb to man or man to dxb....

I'm guessing that the AS MP members on this thread redeeming F awards on EK are traveling for vacation so they have flexibility and can plan their trips around the dates when EK has F availability. Perhaps the Skywards members having trouble finding upgrade space don't have a choice in which dates they must travel, and are flying on dates with higher paid F demand.

I'm an AS member who needed to visit my relatives in India for Christmas and found absolutely zero award inventory in F or J, which is not at all surprising since I was traveling at a peak time. I did purchase a paid upgrade to J on the return, though, which means they were not able to sell all their J seats at a published business class fare.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Time to aim for Platinum then, maybe...
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

It is indeed something of a perverse scenario.

With little/zero history as an EK customer, there are awards to be had, and seemingly without difficulty (depending on route of course), using miles which have been accumulated by means of regular travel with another carrier.

Whereas on the other hand .........
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by jackiedada
It's looking more likely this year, flying more long haul revenue F.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by jackiedada
I don't think being Platinum is going to increase your chances of J-F redemption availability on DXB-MAN routes though!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
I don't think being Platinum is going to increase your chances of J-F redemption availability on DXB-MAN routes though!
I have one date in May I can get it when I'm booked. I'm going to book F for the MAN HND flight 3 days later so may not bother upgrading the flight home.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.