Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Do you really like the lounges in Dubai?

Old Apr 9, 14, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I had my first flights with EK in March, business class to CPT and first class back.
Stopover as usual in Dubai on my way.

I was so much looking forward to the lounges, but I was extremely disappointed.
Especially the business lounge is not good at all. I am only comparing with major airline owned lounges, no question I have seen worse lounges on small airports, especially if not operated by the airline directly.

Yes , it is a BIG lounge. But not beautiful, no place to relax, extremely loud, announcements every 15 seconds, 10 toilets for 2000 people, half of them closed for cleaning...too hot...
It was really an uncomfortable stopover and I do not look forward to do that ever again.

First class lounge was a bit more quiet, but I was disappointed with the food, only small selection during breakfast, nearly no buffet options at all.

When I compare it to the lounges I normally use with BA, LH, Singapore or Thai it is worlds away...

Holger
Old Apr 9, 14, 3:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. Marriott Gold.
I thought the same as you when I first started flying through DXB. However, there is another small lounge further away, I think it is towards the south of the terminal. Much smaller and quieter so I now make a beeline for there as soon as I get in.

In the larger lounge however, the wifi is good enough to FaceTime home and I don't have to worry about being too loud.
Old Apr 9, 14, 4:04 am

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by HKCH View Post
First class lounge was a bit more quiet, but I was disappointed with the food, only small selection during breakfast, nearly no buffet options at all.
Breakfast buffet is by far the worst - best is to order something from the menu or request the chef to make something that you'd like to eat - they usually oblige. Lunch and Dinner buffets are far better imo, though the dessert selection again sucks - the menu hasn't changed since the past several years. Outstation lounges have far better desserts.
Old Apr 9, 14, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
I started in ZRH btw and that lounge I thought is really excellent !
Old Apr 9, 14, 7:00 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
I have tried all three First lounges in Dubai.

I have been very impressed with those in Concourses A and B but found the very poor ventilation in both lounges' shower rooms unacceptable. In addition, the lack of a toilet and basin in Concourse B's shower rooms made these an even worse experience. I'll now try to make sure I use the onboard shower towards the end of the flight if I'm arriving on an A380.

By the way, you don't say which Concourse lounges you are referring to.
Old Apr 9, 14, 7:05 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Tit, Le Club Accor Silver, IHG Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Honestly, I like the lounges.
I have been previously in the Air France lounges, which have nearly nothing to eat (sometimes a sandwich if you are lucky - yes I am talking about AF lounges in CDG!).
The only problem of the big lounge in the main terminal is that there are not enough bathrooms, which is indeed bothering.
Old Apr 10, 14, 12:05 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Seat64A View Post
I have tried all three First lounges in Dubai.

I have been very impressed with those in Concourses A and B but found the very poor ventilation in both lounges' shower rooms unacceptable. In addition, the lack of a toilet and basin in Concourse B's shower rooms made these an even worse experience. I'll now try to make sure I use the onboard shower towards the end of the flight if I'm arriving on an A380.

By the way, you don't say which Concourse lounges you are referring to.
There are 3 EK F lounges in Dubai?! Did they reopen the old lounge near where Terminal 2 meets Terminal 1?
Old Apr 10, 14, 12:06 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Miles & More, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by whimike View Post
There are 3 EK F lounges in Dubai?!
One each in Concourse A, B and C. The C one is near gate 23 opposite the old J lounge, if I remember correctly.
Old Apr 10, 14, 1:34 am

Agreed on the business lounges - used the one near B23 twice recently and it was poor compared to the offerings in MEL, SIN and KUL. I know DXB is the hub and there will be huge demand but nevertheless it was a disappointing experience for us. Food, toilets, ambience etc all well below the other 3 lounges. I wasn't aware of the smaller lounge mentioned, might try it next time but when you are on a relatively short stay it's not easy and practical to go to a lounge far away from your next flight. We used to enjoy the old J lounge in terminal 1 (nr gate 122) and used it often in the past. Why the new lounges have to be like aircraft hangars I'm not sure, other than as I said the large number of pax.
Old Apr 10, 14, 1:56 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
Originally Posted by OzTennis View Post
We used to enjoy the old J lounge in terminal 1 (nr gate 122) and used it often in the past.
It's still there and is, without doubt, the best business lounge in DXB. It's free and easy and you can help yourself to everything, unlike in the lounges in terminals A and B, where you have to ask the bar staff (generally a surly lot) for most things. The terminal B lounge is particularly poor IMHO, and I just won't go there.

I go to the Terminal C lounge whenever I have time.
Old Apr 10, 14, 3:25 am
Uli

from my side, i can say i love them!
having been to LHs FCT for >200 times, many times to SQ´s private room, I would easily take EKs cigar room in T3 for it! only thing missing in the new F lounge is the oven baked potatoes
the wine offerings are crazily good!
Old Apr 10, 14, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Just as with on-board service, the lounge offerings of major airlines will always be a subjective matter, based on personal priorities & taste.

The Emirates lounge at DXB was placed sixth in the 2013 Skytrax FCL awards
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/photo...es-520108.html
Old Apr 10, 14, 5:29 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards, IHG Rewards Club
I like the A lounge. Is big but is not overcrowded (or I'm lucky), on my last stay in March I had zero problems with announcements(I still was able to sleep), noise etc. It was during night time and I had good sleep - someone even covered me by blanked - imho it was nice.
The food was also good, but back in 2011, when I was first time in the lounge it was better. The back of A lounge was always almost empty, and the "quite lounge" located one level below is also empty. Or I have luck. Anyway this quite lounge is not more quite then main A part.
The best lounge for low noise is C lounge - but it's also more difficult to get good place for sleep (because is much smaller). Food is the same imho.

I've seen much worse lounges e.g. Sakura in KIX or lounge in WAW.
Old Apr 10, 14, 9:20 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Aeroplan, Club Carlson Silver, Hilton Honor Silver
I have tried all the lounges except the J lounge in the 380 concourse. My favourite is the F lounge in the main concourse (B?). The F lounge in the old terminal is nice also, since it is almost always empty. The J lounge in the main concourse is fine, except it is always full to the brim. I really had a difficult time finding a seat last time.
Old Apr 10, 14, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Budley View Post
It's still there and is, without doubt, the best business lounge in DXB. It's free and easy and you can help yourself to everything, unlike in the lounges in terminals A and B, where you have to ask the bar staff (generally a surly lot) for most things. The terminal B lounge is particularly poor IMHO, and I just won't go there.

I go to the Terminal C lounge whenever I have time.
Good to know it is still there; if time permits will use it every time rather than the so-so B offering. Just to ensure I've got this right under the new numbering system and after looking at the DXB maps - instead of Terminal 3 Business Lounge nr Gate B22, I want Terminal 1 Business Lounge nr Gate C8 if time permits to get to and fro there?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: