Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Flying EK for the first time- what to expect

Flying EK for the first time- what to expect

Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by m3red
I'm trying 23k on Friday dxb man
and I'm in 23K DXB-LGW on 1/4 (Tuesday)
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Ah .... 23k .....never tried it myself ..... but nominated by a very experienced Purser I was chatting to on a recent flight as "without doubt the best seat in J on the A380" (along with 23A)
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:27 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Miles & More, SPG, Marriott
I had 23K pre-booked for the first time last month, since it also looked like a good choice. They newly introduced the A380 on my home flight. But then I upgraded to F, so still haven't experienced it. Not that I'm complaining
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:00 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by subject2load
Ah .... 23k .....never tried it myself ..... but nominated by a very experienced Purser I was chatting to on a recent flight as "without doubt the best seat in J on the A380" (along with 23A)
Only useful while travelling alone though. . Takes off the pain of the 380.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
^ Awesome! We are doing LAX-DXB-BCN, then LHR-DXB-LAX on the return, in about a month with 2 of us in F, 2 in J, so we're looking forward to it as well. With so many experts on FT, it takes so much guesswork out of things!

As just mentioned above, we're in F. I've been telling myself everything you mentioned, it's just weird seeing the plane so empty and recalled (albeit a month or so ago) seeing similar loads on a particular day - the plane went out half full. Still, I am fully expecting it to go out more full than it is, but have only seen 3 new people book in the past 30 days. No big deal; was just curious.

Thanks also for the terminal info. Even all of the apps, websites, etc only show 'T3' as the arrival gate - none show 'A#' or 'B#'. Again, I'm not sweating it.

In a weird way, this comment made me feel better. Thanks for bringing me back to reality!
Apologies, I thought you meant that there were only 15 people booked into the cabin you were in and so didn't mention F as if there were 15 people booked into F, they would definitely fly the sector even if J and Y were completely empty!

As has been said above, there is a vanishingly small chance of the sector being cancelled. Even if it is - there are 5 A380s a day LHR-DXB leaving every 3 or 4 hours so you would just be put onto one of those and you would have additional lounge time...!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
You also have to think about the inbound which may be a completely full flight - if the plane is flying to LHR, its definitely coming back to DXB even if EK didn't sell even 1 ticket on the return leg.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
This can backfire - the very back is where controllers like to put in big groups (think tours, youth teams, etc. etc.)
Something to think about. Since it is the cruise/tour operator that has booked the space, I fear it may be difficult to have control over where we sit in Y. The return DXB-JFK segment is @14 hours. Since there are two of us, unless we luck out with opposite aisle seats, someone is going to be in a middle seat in Y for a very long time.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
If you are regular of US carriers, EK Y on the A380 will look already a J.

Is this what Y on the EK A380 looks like to you?:

Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 6P&E
Something to think about. Since it is the cruise/tour operator that has booked the space, I fear it may be difficult to have control over where we sit in Y. The return DXB-JFK segment is @14 hours. Since there are two of us, unless we luck out with opposite aisle seats, someone is going to be in a middle seat in Y for a very long time.
Another option that you might want to try is to go to the airport early and get exit row seats - B/C or H/J in rows 67 or 80. There are only 2 seats but remember that the center armrests will not fold up as it is fixed.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum
l always go for the very back because if there are any empty seats that is where they will be. Not done this route but I get a high % empty seats / rows on A 380 other routes,
This can backfire - the very back is where controllers like to put in big groups (think tours, youth teams, etc. etc.)
Ah so that's why sometimes there's no availability at the back.

I'm mostly lucky with my routes.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Apologies, I thought you meant that there were only 15 people booked into the cabin you were in and so didn't mention F as if there were 15 people booked into F, they would definitely fly the sector even if J and Y were completely empty!

As has been said above, there is a vanishingly small chance of the sector being cancelled. Even if it is - there are 5 A380s a day LHR-DXB leaving every 3 or 4 hours so you would just be put onto one of those and you would have additional lounge time...!
Completely agree. To be clear: right now on our flight there are the 2 of us in F, the other 2 of us in J (plus 2 more) and the balance in Y. I agree with your conclusion as well, mostly because in the back of my mind, I kept thinking this:
Originally Posted by jackiedada
You also have to think about the inbound which may be a completely full flight - if the plane is flying to LHR, its definitely coming back to DXB even if EK didn't sell even 1 ticket on the return leg.
Gotta get the ship back to home base!

Thanks again - I'm of the firm belief that a) it'll fill up and thus, b) it won't be cancelled. Just needed to confirm reality, so I appreciate everyone's help!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by jackiedada
JFK is a fairly premium heavy segment so my guess is that the paid upgrades to J may not come in cheap. Though, J on the A380 is quite a nice experience overall.
the very back is where controllers like to put in big groups (think tours, youth teams, etc. etc.)
We decided to go for J. The restricted J fare has a reasonable cancel fee, which is covered by the trip cancellation insurance, and given the distances flown, the fare also seems reasonable. Additionally, we get a credit for declining the bulk airfare, which was included in the total cruise/air price.

We really did not want to be part of any bulk fare seating arrangements as you might lose any seat preference control--we have no status with EK for obvious reasons--so the seat assignments might be a lottery.

Looking forward to the experience in J on EK.

Thanks for all the comments.

Last edited by 6P&E; Apr 1, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.