Search

Email upgrade offer [DXB to KUL]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards | Aeroplan
Email upgrade offer [DXB to KUL]

Hi All,

I am flying from YYZ - KUL on Mar 19 and just received an email offer to upgrade to J class from DXB - KUL for AED 2936.00 per person. I know the price to spend on an upgrade is very subjective and differs from person to person, but I think AED 2936 is very steep, what are your thoughts?

I searched on the site, and people took their chances for Op-Up, I am confused as to how that works and if there is something I need to do at my end or it's just luck?

Additionally, how do you get "wait-listed" for upgrade, is that only flex fares?

Sorry, if this has been answered elsewhere but I really didn't find it via search (or I just don't know how to use the search ).

Thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
A few thoughts FWIW.....

It's a (relatively) short sector, and if you're already uneasy about spending that sort of additional money for what would be a rather short-lived spell of comfort, then it might well be preferable to ditch the idea and maybe use the cash for other niceties (such as more luxurious accommodation at the other end etc etc.) I just happen to think that once a passenger has chosen to book Y and is hence 'geared up' to travelling in that part of the plane, then the cost of an upgrade becomes very questionable.

As for op-up chances, I suspect that without a reasonably high membership status (say gold or above) these will be very slim. But others may have different opinions on that.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Miles & More, SPG, Marriott
I think it's expensive, but not terrible. Don't think I'd do it for that price.

The people not taking the offer and hoping for an op-up are generally Gold and above.

You can only be waitlisted for an upgrade if you have status. This is usually for a miles upgrade when there are no award seats currently available, but they may open up closer to the trip. You can't be waitlisted for an op-up.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:05 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Turicus
I think it's expensive, but not terrible. Don't think I'd do it for that price.

The people not taking the offer and hoping for an op-up are generally Gold and above.

You can only be waitlisted for an upgrade if you have status. This is usually for a miles upgrade when there are no award seats currently available, but they may open up closer to the trip. You can't be waitlisted for an op-up.
I managed to get waitlisted for my gva dxb flight on sat, this was done in the dxb lounge.

J was showing 7 now zero again, looks like I'm slumming it on the return for the first time in 18 months. #dubaiproblems
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:18 am

Well that does sound worrying m3red.

If it turns out that they can't somehow squeeze you into J, and that you do end up having to travel down the back, then I trust they will at least have a full team of paramedics ready & waiting on arrival at DXB to facilitate your full recovery & recuperation from the hardships of the journey.

(ps. only joking of course .......I know you take this stuff all in your stride as an EK regular )
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
Well that does sound worrying m3red.

If it turns out that they can't somehow squeeze you into J, and that you do end up having to travel down the back, then I trust they will at least have a full team of paramedics ready & waiting on arrival at DXB to facilitate your full recovery & recuperation from the hardships of the journey.

(ps. only joking of course .......I know you take this stuff all in your stride as an EK regular )
It's me and the wife!

You never know until the day with this one. Next year I'll bite the bullet and pay for both ways, silly me for thinking I could use my stash of skywards points!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:55 am

Whatever happens, have a safe trip. That's the most important thing ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.