Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carryon baggage allowance? ...!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci
I fly MAN -> DXB + return about once per month. Quite often have an oversized and very overweight bag, and have never been stopped/weighed etc in over 40 flights.

I am actually currently looking for a slightly larger cabin bag to take advantage of the lack of enforcement.
we must have met!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite*G; Skywards Gold; Hertz President's Circle
I generally only travel with carry-on in Y for my week-long trips to South/South-East Asia - a Samsonite suit carrier that usually tips the scales at around the 7kg-mark plus a very skinny laptop messenger bag for my MacBook Air & travel docs (NB this would generally be classified as my personal item on most other mainstream carriers). On Air NZ as an Elite for example, I'm allowed 2 pieces of carry-on baggage weighing a total of 14kg (max 10kg for any one piece) plus one personal item, regardless of class of travel.

Having flown DXB-BOM on EK506 again on Sunday ​​​​morning, ​​​I can see the challenges that EK is facing with carry-on enforcement. The overhead bins in the Y front cabin were literally overflowing with bags that should've really been checked-in - cabin crew had to make extensive use of the J bins for the excess carry-on items that pax simply couldn't stow under their seats.

Interestingly, my checked-in allowance was 51kgs as a Gold on a Y (FlexPlus) fare. Perhaps there's a trade-off in there somewhere for EK's FF status pax who generally only travel with carry-on baggage, and/or never get anywhere close to making use of their full checked-in baggage allowance?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by scottienz69
I generally only travel with carry-on in Y for my week-long trips to South/South-East Asia - a Samsonite suit carrier that usually tips the scales at around the 7kg-mark plus a very skinny laptop messenger bag for my MacBook Air & travel docs (NB this would generally be classified as my personal item on most other mainstream carriers). On Air NZ as an Elite for example, I'm allowed 2 pieces of carry-on baggage weighing a total of 14kg (max 10kg for any one piece) plus one personal item, regardless of class of travel.

Having flown DXB-BOM on EK506 again on Sunday ​​​​morning, ​​​I can see the challenges that EK is facing with carry-on enforcement. The overhead bins in the Y front cabin were literally overflowing with bags that should've really been checked-in - cabin crew had to make extensive use of the J bins for the excess carry-on items that pax simply couldn't stow under their seats.

Interestingly, my checked-in allowance was 51kgs as a Gold on a Y (FlexPlus) fare. Perhaps there's a trade-off in there somewhere for EK's FF status pax who generally only travel with carry-on baggage, and/or never get anywhere close to making use of their full checked-in baggage allowance?
Yeah I barely ever check a bag, usually travel to India with a hard-shell suit case plus slimline laptop bag as carry-on, so far never had issues on EK, always talked my way past the weight enforcers at the gate when present, when I do check that very same suitcase it never weights more than 15kg (last week it was 11.4).
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Carry on and a back pack?

flying coach from ord-dxb and my wife is planning on bringing a roller board and a back pack for each of us...will we be ok, or are they strict on carry one?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by bsdstone
flying coach from ord-dxb and my wife is planning on bringing a roller board and a back pack for each of us...will we be ok, or are they strict on carry one?
Which class? Typically ok, but occasionally they can be quite strict
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:34 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
You should be fine as you long as they are not overly heavily.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Which class? Typically ok, but occasionally they can be quite strict
We are in coach from ORD-DXB and DXB - DPS...I've looked and both flights are really empty...not sure if that makes a difference.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:32 am

We are in coach from ORD-DXB and DXB - DPS...I've looked and both flights are really empty...not sure if that makes a difference.
It can make a difference, just keep in mind that the economy allowance is one bag max 7kg so they could always deny you. I've done it many times without issue but have also seen them strictly enforced the rules in DXB on full flights, mostly to India
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
It can make a difference, just keep in mind that the economy allowance is one bag max 7kg so they could always deny you. I've done it many times without issue but have also seen them strictly enforced the rules in DXB on full flights, mostly to India
OK, thanks. My wife is freaking out that she can't take a purse and a carry on...ugh.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:14 pm
Zol

OK, thanks. My wife is freaking out that she can't take a purse and a carry on...ugh.
The purse doesn't count as part of the allowance. Neither does a laptop bag
bsdstone likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Zol
The purse doesn't count as part of the allowance. Neither does a laptop bag
Strictly speaking it does but generally not enforced
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: travel
Exclamation Dslr bags - weight allowance

Hello,

Am planing to travel Warsaw on next month,
Emirates will consider the camera (dslr) bags also in the hand luggage? because i was traveled only with dslr camera in hand(without bag) i didnt face issues its like camera in hand but when it comes with Dslr bags, will they consider as separate hand luggage or as it like camera in hand . pls let know
Old May 16, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR
I don't normally fly Emirates but am flying LHR / DXB / MLE next week in first - will I be ok with a holdall and a reasonably thin suit carrier or will they make me check one of them in (which would cause me some difficulty If it make any difference I am, thanks to Amex, Skywards Gold. Many Thanks for your help
Old May 16, 2019, 6:41 pm
Zol

Originally Posted by 137677
I don't normally fly Emirates but am flying LHR / DXB / MLE next week in first - will I be ok with a holdall and a reasonably thin suit carrier or will they make me check one of them in (which would cause me some difficulty If it make any difference I am, thanks to Amex, Skywards Gold. Many Thanks for your help
You will be fine
Old May 16, 2019, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by 137677
I agree with Zol in that you'll be fine,but just out of interest, what difficulty would it cause you? There's a current thread on TravelBuzz (I think) where adamant hand baggage only travellers are struggling to find excuses for their behaviour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.