Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carryon baggage allowance? ...!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:07 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by Nevsky
Loyalty Lobby had an article on Emirates Transit Passengers Being Forced To Leave Carry On Items Behind Or Pay An Overweight Fee citing UAE Viral Abandoned items fill airports as Emirates Airline starts weighing hand carry luggage.

Have others encountered this? In particular is this happening to Business Class or First Class passengers? A 7 KG limit in Business or First is almost worse than a laptop ban.
Strange. Never happened to me.
Where exactly would they weight the carry-ons ? At the gate ?
Wouldn't it be for pax having obviously too voluminous carry-ons ?
(You are talking about transit pax. Right ?)
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Flying business from LHR - DXB - DPS

Am I correct in reading the above that all hand luggage will be weighed?

We usually take a camera and reasonable lens with us and these are not always that light!!

By the time I add in my computer etc., the weight can add up.

Need some advice as to what we are likely to encounter.

Never flown Emirates so have no data to base our knowledge on.

Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by GentleGiant

We usually take a camera and reasonable lens with us and these are not always that light!!

Never flown Emirates so have no data to base our knowledge on.

Thanks!
It's possible but unlikely, and given fragile electronic equipment probably easy to talk your way past. In DXB hand luggage is weighed after check-in, but rarely for transit pax (only if the flight is super full and there are concerns about space and weight, e.g. regularly on flights to India)
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:42 am

Assume the worst and always have a Plan B, but with a 14kg allowance in J, will you really want to be lugging more than that around each?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ft101
Assume the worst and always have a Plan B, but with a 14kg allowance in J, will you really want to be lugging more than that around each?
14? Website says 7kg.

Hence my concern
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:55 am

14? Website says 7kg.

Hence my concern
7 kg for Economy.

You mention Business Class which is 2 x 7kg.

Calculator here to verify it.

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...alculator.aspx
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
14? Website says 7kg.

Hence my concern
You'll be fine, especially in J. I typically have a 12kg rollaboard in Y + Laptop bag
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ft101
7 kg for Economy.

You mention Business Class which is 2 x 7kg.

Calculator here to verify it.

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...alculator.aspx
Thanks.

I only have one carry on each although my wife has a handbag - so I guess 7KG is the limit for me.

Have been so used to BA with no real limit especially as Gold.

Already have to walk past the CX lounge at LHR T3 and ignore their first class offering LOL
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: Skywards
Dubai - Lagos

This route has regular chaos at the boarding gate when the cabin baggage is weighed and excess charges negotiated. The return leg has no such issues.

Even business class is not immune. Typically I travel with a roll-on plus laptop bag, and no check-in baggage. They don't usually stop me but on that day I had bought some chocolates and gifts in duty free. They weighed my bags; they were indeed overweight by 5kg and they insisted on charging me $241 for excess baggage. They refused to check the bag, and the fact that I had no check-in luggage was regarded as irrelevant.

I went back to duty free and returned the gifts for a refund. When I returned there was another guy at the gate who simply waved me through.

This is the only time I have had a problem.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:25 am

Good to know this- I'm taking my first Emirates flight this weekend in Economy, LHR > DXB > PEK - not checking in anything as my wife is putting it all in her cases (she's on a BA direct flight). I usually take a selection of lenses and a laptop away, but may pack more carefully this time round
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite*G; Skywards Gold; Hertz President's Circle
I've never had any problems as a Gold in Y carrying on my Samsonite suit carrier that usually comes in at somewhere between 7-8kgs, another slimmer suit carrier from my tailor that actually has a suit and shirt in it, plus my laptop bag. My main routes are AKL-DXB-BOM, although I have heard that other Indian ports will police carry-on allowances/pieces more tightly than Mumbai appears to. Crew onboard are usually also very happy to hang my suit/shirt combo up in one of their lockers, which generally saves on pressing at my destination.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by scottienz69
I've never had any problems as a Gold in Y carrying on my Samsonite suit carrier that usually comes in at somewhere between 7-8kgs, another slimmer suit carrier from my tailor that actually has a suit and shirt in it, plus my laptop bag.
And that is why we get these issues (IMO). When people drive a horse and coaches through the rulebook there is going to be a a kick back at some point.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:03 am

Having just done LHR>DXB>PEK and back, my hand luggage was not weighed at any point. This is probably because I specifically made sure it weighed 6.85kg before I left
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
How particular are they with laptop bag dimensions. My laptop is an older 17 inch Dell. In the case, it's 50cm x 36cm x 10cm. It weighs 5.93kg in the case. That would eat up a fair chunk of my luggage allowance if I had to check it. I'm flying PER-DXB-GLA and return if that makes any difference.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by weegraeme
How particular are they with laptop bag dimensions. My laptop is an older 17 inch Dell. In the case, it's 50cm x 36cm x 10cm. It weighs 5.93kg in the case. That would eat up a fair chunk of my luggage allowance if I had to check it. I'm flying PER-DXB-GLA and return if that makes any difference.
You're allowance is 55cm x 38cm x 20cm so no problem.

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...age_rules.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.