Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Disappointed! No child meal for my lap baby

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2014, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

. I am very very very disappointed that emirates didn't allow me to book/order child food for my 18mth old lap baby. They said it is for age 2+. I flew with emirates 6 months ago and they only offered stage 1 baby food (puree for 4mth+). At 18 mth she is already a toddler and already eat the same thing as a 2 years old. It will be 23 hrs flight. So my child will not get any food?? And here emirates boast that they are a child friendly airlines.

The customer service assured me that the flight crew will give my child a standard/adult meal if i ask for it. Will they? Anyone manage to get one ofr your child? So a child meal is not suitable for 18 months old baby, but an adult meal is suitable? Beside that Having child meal will make the flight easier. The meals will come first so i could feed her before my meals come.

Is there a way i could order it? I don't mind paying for it. I can't afford for an additional seat but i'm sure i could afford a meal.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: skymiles
In the airline industry anyone under 2 is considered an infant there only baby meal.From 2-12 they are considered children therefore child meal and beyond that it's an adult meal.It's not a question of paying for it,but if you are travelling with a lap infant they get a baby meal and that goes for all airlines.You may however ask the flight crew if any child meals are left over.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 7:57 pm

See if you can order a child meal for yourself, and then request a regular meal during the regular meal service.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Plat(Soon to be gold), HHonors Silver, Amex Gold
Emirates does not offer "Baby" Meals per se - I would suggest either saying your child is above 2 years old and paying the extra in fare for the meal or pack your own food for the child as the puree will be given to you but there is no baby meal, only child meals.

You must have a stop over somewhere because as far as I know the longest EK route is IAH-DXB and thats not 23 hours.
For those that say request a child meal for yourself, its unlikely you are able to do this with booking staff and as for "requesting another" if the flights full in Y class say then it'll mean someone of the crew giving up their hot meal because you are trying to do one over the system.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:40 am

Why would one feed there infant child airplane food ?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 1:03 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DXBFlyer
...then it'll mean someone of the crew giving up their hot meal because you are trying to do one over the system.
1. Typically not, as they always pack a few extra.
2. Most crew that I've met rarely ever eat the a/c food and carry their own. I've had several crew offer to share their own (cucumbers, carrots, s/w, etc. which is what they mostly carry with them)
Old Feb 10, 2014, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Plat(Soon to be gold), HHonors Silver, Amex Gold
Originally Posted by jackiedada
1. Typically not, as they always pack a few extra.
2. Most crew that I've met rarely ever eat the a/c food and carry their own. I've had several crew offer to share their own (cucumbers, carrots, s/w, etc. which is what they mostly carry with them)
Jack - I understand you fly a lot, as do I. However - EKFC do not always give extra. If the flight is full then there may be no extra's at all - lets take IAH full flight all cabins.
If the flight isn't full, it can be even worse with extra catering. So typically there is no typically. EKFC are cutting back a lot in the recent 12 months.

A lot of crew bring their own, a lot of crew don't eat the food at all, a lot of crew will eat the hot meals provided. Ex Germany is usually popular with crew food for example. Yes crew will sometimes offer and good that they do but sometimes there are NO extra's
Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
I would recommend packing your own kid food frankly: the EK children's meals typically of consist of pasta, chicken nuggets, pizza, french fries - that sort of stuff - and a box of candy/snacks (which I usually hide). Ok for your five year old from time-to-time (combined with ICE = kid heaven), but I wouldn't feed my 18 month old that.

Lap-infants is really a concept of the past where flights were a lot shorter. I've found that once they start walking... ULH flights with toddlers get unworkable (not to mention shrinking seat pitch and width!). I would consider getting the kid his/her own seat (and thus meal) passed 18 months depending on size.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:40 am
hln

Sorry slightly OT but i have a 16 mo baby and i am really really curious on how you'll manage a 23 HRS flight with a toddler !
AS per your post, i usually take food with me for baby, it is better food anyway.
It looks like there is no way around this.
You cannot order a child meal for yourself as i tried to do so in the past.
good luck !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.