FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Empty Economy Seats (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1534095-empty-economy-seats.html)

gdad23 Dec 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Empty Economy Seats

I'm flying out of JFK to DXB on Jan 1 (10am flight) and returning on Jan 6 (2am flight). On both legs I noticed that there are over 100 empty economy seats when looking at the select a seat map, but Emirates isn't selling any more economy tickets for these flights. Is this a common occurrence? I can't imagine Emirates would stop selling seats if the flight isn't flight fully booked, but I'm surprised that 25% of the passengers haven't booked a seat yet. Just trying to figure out my odds of getting an empty seat next to me.

Thanks.

DXBFlyer Dec 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I can tell you that none of the flights have 100 empty seats ;) You'll find that either those pax have not selected the seats or they are travel agent bookings but no you will not find 100 empty seats.

jackiedada Dec 24, 2013 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by gdad23 (Post 22021558)
I'm flying out of JFK to DXB on Jan 1 (10am flight) and returning on Jan 6 (2am flight). On both legs I noticed that there are over 100 empty economy seats when looking at the select a seat map, but Emirates isn't selling any more economy tickets for these flights. Is this a common occurrence?

There are quite a few pax who have booked tickets but have not selected seats. This is a very common occurrence.

Originally Posted by gdad23 (Post 22021558)
Just trying to figure out my odds of getting an empty seat next to me.

Virtually none. The flights are oversold in economy on both of those dates.

Northumberland Lady Dec 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by DXBFlyer (Post 22021579)
I can tell you that none of the flights have 100 empty seats ;) You'll find that either those pax have not selected the seats or they are travel agent bookings but no you will not find 100 empty seats.

Not true - I've flown on Xmas day when the staff announced that as they were so empty there would be 4 seats per passenger in economy!

DXBFlyer Dec 24, 2013 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Northumberland Lady (Post 22022007)
Not true - I've flown on Xmas day when the staff announced that as they were so empty there would be 4 seats per passenger in economy!

NL - I think you've misinterpreted what I meant. He was talking about the 10am departure from JFK and the return to JFK on the 6th.
None of the flights on that day booking wise have 100 empty seats in Economy. In fact none of them on that day have space available in Economy so whilst I understand what you are saying and on some routes/airlines this is probably very true - for this particular segment of his trip I'm afraid its quite the opposite.

Northumberland Lady Dec 24, 2013 11:14 pm

Ah! Point taken.

diontd Dec 25, 2013 12:58 am

Originally Posted by DXBFlyer (Post 22021579)

Can you not select seats with travel agent bookings?

ukdoctor Dec 25, 2013 5:26 am

Originally Posted by diontd (Post 22023961)
Can you not select seats with travel agent bookings?

Yes you can. All you need is your PNR and the surname.A skywards account is not needed.However you will be surprised at the number of 'sheeple' who dont bother reserving seats especially in Y

Someone I know was complaining that Emirates separated her mom from her on her last flight. I enquired whether she had selected seats for this trip (planned months in advance)and the answer was no. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Quite a few know that you can select seats but don't bother !

zhaobao Dec 29, 2013 11:20 pm

I was told that the reservation must have been ticketed AND you need to be a Skyward member to select seat ? So perhaps these 100 empty seats are either not ticketed or passengers are not Skyward members ?

diontd Dec 29, 2013 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by zhaobao (Post 22048450)
I was told that the reservation must have been ticketed AND you need to be a Skyward member to select seat ? So perhaps these 100 empty seats are either not ticketed or passengers are not Skyward members ?

You do not need to be a Skywards member, but I'm not sure about the reservation being ticketed.

gdad23 Dec 30, 2013 1:17 pm

Just wanted to update my original post for future readers - we're about 40 hours to departure and nearly all of the empty economy seats on my outbound flight have now been selected, including the seat next to me.