FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Has Business class become the new Economy ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1530909-has-business-class-become-new-economy.html)

tezzer Dec 14, 2013 2:06 am

Has Business class become the new Economy ?

I expect to get flamed for this one, but who cares.

I'm a travel snob, that's an opening confession. I dislike people, generally, traveling people (and I don't mean of the Romany persuasion) even more so.

Sat in the Emirates lounge in Kuala Lumpur right now, and I'm appalled by the people in here. Badly dressed, feet on the table, and generally ill mannered.

I come from an age where you dressed up to travel, Blazer and slacks acceptable, not football shirts, sleeveless gym vests and flip flops.

Is it me, or are standards in deep decline, if not actual free fall, or is age and too much travel making me a grumpy old git.

Turicus Dec 14, 2013 3:02 am

Maybe a bit of both :p

I do agree with you somewhat. I generally hate bad manners, but that's not just when flying. I guess we live in an age where flying is truly affordable for everyone. And in the same way, business class is within reach for more people.

tezzer Dec 14, 2013 3:26 am

Doesn't matter tonight. Double beep at the gate and a good news story. J to F again. I love Emirates.

ghostwrita Dec 14, 2013 3:29 am

Yes, grumpy old git :D ^

Flying is no longer glamourous. Move on.

Dave Noble Dec 14, 2013 3:47 am

Originally Posted by tezzer (Post 21963911)

Is it me, or are standards in deep decline, if not actual free fall, or is age and too much travel making me a grumpy old git.

It's you. Scheduled aeroplane services are just a form of public transport like a bus or a train.

678flyer Dec 14, 2013 3:48 am

Reminds me of the time when my father was horrified to see me dress in t-shirt & jeans for international travel, that too in business class. :p

On another note, bad manners are bad manners, no matter what generation.

sadiqhassan Dec 14, 2013 8:15 am

While seeing that sort of thing is commonplace in the J lounges, I have seen such activity in the F lounge too! :D

RTW1 Dec 14, 2013 8:21 am

Sat in the Emirates lounge in Kuala Lumpur right now, and I'm appalled by the people in here. Badly dressed, feet on the table, and generally ill mannered.

Strange.... whenever I'm in a lounge the bad manners are normally displayed by those that aren't "badly" dressed.

tuchop Dec 14, 2013 12:21 pm

I agree with you, completely. I'm not asking people to dress in Smoking/tuxedos/suits, but at least some decent clothes. I've seen people with football jerseys, flip flops and sports shorts in Business and First class lounges. And most of the times (or always?) they are the ones who shout, disturb, and annoy other passengers. And who's kids run around the lounge shouting and playing, as if no one was there. As an argentine, I'm getting used to it (and i know i shouldn't), because most of the people who travel here are like that.

El Vercker Dec 15, 2013 12:55 am

'Grumpy old git' is being charitable, although perhaps my opinion should be taken with a pinch of salt because I'm typing my reply whilst wearing my dressing gown rather than the blazer I don't actually own.

'I dislike people' is hardly an endearing opening gambit.

ft101 Dec 15, 2013 1:30 am

Blazer and slacks acceptable, not football shirts, sleeveless gym vests and flip flops.

I've never worn a blazer since my schooldays and never slacks in all my life. They sound like some crimplene thing my old chemistry teacher might have worn.

I wouldn't wear the things you frown on either, but your alternatives are decidely dodgy.

joshwex90 Dec 15, 2013 1:43 am

I don't see the issue with wearing a T-shirt, regardless of cabin of travel.

I do see the problem with feet up on the table, regardless of cabin of travel, and regardless of whether in the lounge or not.

m3red Dec 15, 2013 2:23 am

My flight to Man on Friday is at 3am

I will be in J class wearing comfortable tracksuit bottoms a t-shirt and trainers.

My next flight in F in Feb I will be ensuring flip flops, shorts and a scraggy t-shirt are worn.

Pay my money, wear what I like!

Havoc10G Dec 15, 2013 2:32 am

Has Business class become the new Economy ?

I don't see the correlation with dress code and manners. Both are generally mutually exclusive. As far as what people wear in this age it really is up to the passenger and the any rules the airline has not some terrible middle class snobbery about what is expected. This is emirates not empire airlines! As far as being rude. Some of the rudest passengers I have seen have been dressed for the royal box at the guards's polo club!

ghostwrita Dec 15, 2013 5:01 am

Agreed Havoc. Lol @ "this is Emirates, not Empire Airline"

Manners are also relative. We tend to look at manners through our own cultural lenses.