Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates Airlines special occassion - birthday and anniversary

Old Nov 25, 13, 6:51 am
Original Poster

I am looking for information so don't blame me for looking for freebies. Free is good in this case but willing to pay.

I am flying out of IAD on Emirates in a month and it would be first trip for my wife and son (3 yr). My son's birthday is literally 2 days before flight and my marriage anniversary is 3 days before departure. I know Emirates does birthday cakes if traveling on day of birthday but since I want to make it special trip for my son and it's very close to his b'day can I request a cake for him.

If not way too much, I am willing to pay for the cake. Any suggestions? I can reach out to Emirates customer service in Dubai but FT is better before I call.
Old Nov 25, 13, 12:01 pm

Programs: LH HON, EK Plat, QR Plat, TK EP
What class? Status?
Old Nov 25, 13, 12:50 pm

Programs: EK Gold
They did it for my moms 70th we were in business.
Old Nov 25, 13, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Economy class - skywards saver. No status - just blue.
Old Nov 26, 13, 1:07 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by meinhoonna View Post
Economy class - skywards saver. No status - just blue.
Not sure about a birthday cake or anything official/pre-arranged, but Emirates is generally pretty good with kids (meals, toys, photo, etc), so a word to the crew may get some special recognition (they don't need to know it's his birthday 2 days before).

It's a long haul day flight, which should help too (more time for crew)
Old Nov 26, 13, 7:45 am

Programs: Skywards
My Sister and Bro in law who got married this year flew with Emirates on their honeymoon (economy). They got a cake from Emirates and flowers
Old Nov 26, 13, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I heard Emirates is pretty good when it comes to kids or as Scotty mentioned for special occasions. Let's hope this crew is well rested and hopefully other passengers are not driving them crazy.

I chose day flight because it's a first long haul for my son and don't want folks sleep to be bothered if he wants to be himself

Now I wish Dubai had kids area (for economy passengers)
lyndonmaxewell likes this.
Old Nov 26, 13, 12:34 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat
This year i was on SIN->DXB on the A380 and it was my birthday. Got invited to the back where they had wee cake, some electric candles from first and the crew sang Happy Birthday. Was the sweetest thing!
Old Nov 26, 13, 1:09 pm

Just give a call to reservation , its free of charge , and like mentioned above just drop a word to the crew and they ll arrange something .
Old Nov 26, 13, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Dubai76 - I did and calling DC office routes to Dubai HQ. Short answer No. I will definitely try the crew and not sure if tipping is a no-no but maybe that would give the kid a small cup cake. As far as he is concerned some folks cheering for him is good enough and priceless for me
Old Nov 26, 13, 7:28 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Miles & More, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by meinhoonna View Post
Dubai76 - I did and calling DC office routes to Dubai HQ. Short answer No. I will definitely try the crew and not sure if tipping is a no-no but maybe that would give the kid a small cup cake. As far as he is concerned some folks cheering for him is good enough and priceless for me
Personally, I wouldn't tip. The crew is mostly good with kids anyway. They go round handing out toys and taking Polaroids for the kiddies. They always have some cake, biscuit or choc bar on board to improvise a cake.
Old Nov 27, 13, 12:40 am

Thats very odd ... I am pretty confident that EK provides cakes for such occasions . Last try is requesting at check in they can waitlist with catering as a last minute order . A word with the crew will definetly make it special for him , plenty of ressources on board . Happy travel and bday .
Old Nov 27, 13, 12:56 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Marriot Rewards Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Honors, Etihad Guest Gold, SAA Voyager,
Call your local EK office and they should be able to arrange it. I have arranged it for 2 honeymoons (only one was mine :P) . There was no charge for the cake.

The crew also had a polaroid handy as well and framed the pic with a message on the card along the lines of ''Congratulations on your marriage from the A380 cabin crew on EK384''
Old Nov 27, 13, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Executive Skywards silver Virgin Enrich Flying Blue Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
They gave me a cake on one of my birthdays but I was actualy travelling on the day - a lovely surprise.
Good luck!
Old Nov 27, 13, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for their input. One last thing and I did look at Emirates and googled for DC office number. All they have is a toll-free which connects to Dubai office.

I will try the check-in desk. If not see what crew can do.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: