Y Platinum!

Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Y Platinum!

Hi all,

I have been a voyeur on this site for a while now, and thought it was time to sign up and join in.

When the Platinum tier was introduced I seem to remember questions about it being difficult to reach when travelling exclusively in Y, one member did post that a colleague had managed it. I too have now managed it, and yes it was difficult.

The breakdown of my Emirates flights – 38% Flex tickets and 62% Saver all in Y (my qualifying year was from October 2012)

According to FlightDiary.net - for this calendar year: 76 flights (54 on Emirates), 215,530 miles and 455hrs in a seat.

So, if there’s anything people want to know about flying Y on Emirates, just ask.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:09 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Wow. .
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:58 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
I do hope that you ended up with at least some opups in your marathon year ...
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:16 am
Original Poster

I did receive some op ups, maybe 6 to 8 in total, the one I was most thankful for was Dubai to Seattle.

I'm probably running at a 85% success rate on getting an exit row though, so not too bad!
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Wow. .
+ 1

Can't say I envy you one bit, but big respect ..... you do seem to be taking all that Y travel in good spirit ! Exit rows must help a lot ; and even more so, those occasional op-ups......
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:14 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by YohYohY
I did receive some op ups, maybe 6 to 8 in total, the one I was most thankful for was Dubai to Seattle.

I'm probably running at a 85% success rate on getting an exit row though, so not too bad!
Just wondering, presumably you requested the exit rows at the counter at checkin is that right? Is there any correlation between getting an opup after failing to get an exit row? Just wondering if receiving an exit row seat might lessen your chances of an opup.

If anyone else has opinion on this theory it would be welcome
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:23 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
I too have now managed it, and yes it was difficult.

The breakdown of my Emirates flights – 38% Flex tickets and 62% Saver all in Y (my qualifying year was from October 2012)
Wow! That's actually quite an achievement considering that more than half of your travel on EK is on saver Y tickets. Congratulations! That's a lot of flying...
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:40 am

Impressive effort
Old Nov 7, 2013, 4:47 am

SEA is a good route to get upgraded on, especially due to the customs on the other side. Can be a mess when the EK flight gets in.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by weasel07
Just wondering, presumably you requested the exit rows at the counter at checkin is that right? Is there any correlation between getting an opup after failing to get an exit row? Just wondering if receiving an exit row seat might lessen your chances of an opup.

If anyone else has opinion on this theory it would be welcome
I did, I do, I always get to the airport at least 2 hours before flight time, (thankfully the Gold card lets me use the Business Class checkin) and ask at checkin for an exit seat - they make a quick phone call and hopefully I get one.

I've always thought that if I get an exit row, does it lessen my chances of an op up - trouble is I haven't kept track, I'm so relieved and happy at an op up I've forgotten everything else
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CaptainEKAirbus
SEA is a good route to get upgraded on, especially due to the customs on the other side. Can be a mess when the EK flight gets in.

True, I was in the queue for an hour, wondering if I'd clear customs in time for my next flight, thankfully I did.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Huge Respect ^
Old Nov 9, 2013, 8:21 am

Location: London, England, UK, Europe, The World, The Universe
Hi all,

I have been a voyeur on this site for a while now, and thought it was time to sign up and join in.

When the Platinum tier was introduced I seem to remember questions about it being difficult to reach when travelling exclusively in Y, one member did post that a colleague had managed it. I too have now managed it, and yes it was difficult.

According to FlightDiary.net - for this calendar year: 76 flights (54 on Emirates), 215,530 miles and 455hrs in a seat.

So, if there’s anything people want to know about flying Y on Emirates, just ask.
Wow, that's a lot of flying, and in Y!
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
As I mentioned earlier it's quite an achievement as most plats would be flying J for work and Y for personal trips.

I feel sorry for your Butt though.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: Platinum : Amex | Gold : EK Bonvoy Carlson Hilton
Huge respect as I hit Platinum flying Y until August and I switched to J to hit Platinum the last 2 months. That's a lot of Y, and when you fly to less rewarding places like India (DXB-DEL or BOM is underpaid in miles I think).

It was only 48 legs on EK metal yet...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.