Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

LAX-DXB: All daylight or all twilight flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*

We've booked seats on EK for next spring, and are trying to decide if the two of us should pick window seats (one of us especially likes looking out windows) or sit together in the middle section (which both of us like). We have several legs, so we're mixing it up, saving the window seats for the day time flights and the middle section for night time, when there is nothing to see.

The one leg we're a little uncertain of is LAX-DXB. It's on the A380 and leaves at 4:45pm and arrives in DXB at 7:45pm the next day. Thinking about the route and the earth's rotation, will this be an all daylight flight or twilight/ partially dark flight?

Any insights are greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 8, 2013, 1:50 am

Programs: EK Gold
Would think a bit of both.

16:45 in LA on west coast makes it 21:45 east coast (you don't say which time of year so presume 5 hour difference) so will be night when you head out over the Atlantic Ocean I would have thought.

However if you're travelling the middle of summer, it won't be dark for long.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 3:12 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by RichL
Would think a bit of both.

16:45 in LA on west coast makes it 21:45 east coast (you don't say which time of year so presume 5 hour difference) so will be night when you head out over the Atlantic Ocean I would have thought.

However if you're travelling the middle of summer, it won't be dark for long.
5-hour difference? The difference between US west coast and US east coast is 3-hours. However, if the LAX flight is anything like the SFO flight it goes right over the North Pole and never gets near the Atlantic/East Coast.

Last year I was on an SEA-DXB flight and it never went dark outside and most of the flight was bright as heck as a passenger left their window shade open the entire flight. But, I think that was in the summer, you will get variations throughout the year.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 6:02 am

In the spring time it you'll generally end up leaving LAX with a few hours with the sun, then when you're in northern Canadian airspace (somewhere around Yellowknife / or a bit before depending on the date) it'll start to get dark and you'll see the sunset on the horizon. The sun will then rise somewhere, but I can't remember when as I'm always asleep. That is of course if they let you keep your window shade open, in most cases they'll make you close it once the sunsets so they don't have to wake you up when it rises.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Also, J on the A380 is in a 1-2-1 Config, so if you want to sit together, the middle seats would be better. If you want window, I recommend the A or K seats.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: EK Gold
Sorry I meant 5 hour flying time from west to east coast.

Didn't know it went over the pole I'm just thinking back to my LAX-LHR days.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
From early May to early August it is total daylight in the high arctic, depending on your exact route.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Emirates202
Also, J on the A380 is in a 1-2-1 Config, so if you want to sit together, the middle seats would be better. If you want window, I recommend the A or K seats.
Business class is 2-4-2 though with the staggered nature the E and F seats are probably most conducive to being able to talk to each other though couldn't see where the OP mentioned which class was travelling in
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Sorry for leaving out some details:
Early May flights and we're traveling in First.

Since I'm asking, the return (DXB-LAX) will be in late May. Leaves 8:15am and arrives LAX at 2:15pm (same day): all daylight in that one?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pdxasflyer

Since I'm asking, the return (DXB-LAX) will be in late May. Leaves 8:15am and arrives LAX at 2:15pm (same day): all daylight in that one?
Pretty much sure that that will be daylight the whole way
Old Sep 9, 2013, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer

Then it is likely your LAX-DXB flight will be entirely in daylight. The DXB-LAX flight should be in total daylight except for early-Nov to early Feb, when the High Arctic experiences continuous night.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:19 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Try this neat website:
http://sunflight.net/
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bpe
Try this neat website:
http://sunflight.net/
Nifty - this helped a great deal, though it does take some figuring out. I've also been trying to gauge using the Living Earth App for my ipad. Now, if Great Circle Mapper and the Living Earth folks would team up...

Edited to note that according to sunflight.net, the LAX-DXB flight will be 29% night, occuring roughly about 2 hours or so into the flight.

Last edited by pdxasflyer; Sep 9, 2013 at 11:48 am
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Business class is 2-4-2 though with the staggered nature the E and F seats are probably most conducive to being able to talk to each other though couldn't see where the OP mentioned which class was travelling in
Disagree. With the staggered seats, business effectively is 1-2-1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.