AKL - MEL A380 Upgrade

Old Aug 20, 13, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

AKL - MEL A380 Upgrade

I have heard of instances and wondered just how common it is for Emirates to e-mail upgrade offers around 80 hours prior to the flight. I understand this is related to load although i have been given the impression the A380 is being used to avoid the aircraft being left grounded at Mel until it's return flight back to DXB rather than the capacity actually being required.

Has anyone upgraded recently and how much did it cost ?
Old Aug 21, 13, 3:00 am

We flew MEL - AKL in F in April and the whole plane was empty, there was one other person in F, about 20 people in J and about 100 people in Y which is a pretty empty plane, from what i remember reading its on to AKL because of the costs associated with a turn around in Oz which is why all the Oz planes carry on to AKL. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Jo
Old Aug 21, 13, 4:38 am

Location: London, England, UK, Europe, The World, The Universe
Originally Posted by Jodieh12 View Post
We flew MEL - AKL in F in April and the whole plane was empty, there was one other person in F, about 20 people in J and about 100 people in Y which is a pretty empty plane, from what i remember reading its on to AKL because of the costs associated with a turn around in Oz which is why all the Oz planes carry on to AKL. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Jo
Not all of them carry on AKL (or CHC), EK414/415 ends at SYD, EK408/409 and EK404/405 ends at MEL, and all of the PER flights end there.
Old Aug 21, 13, 6:54 am

Oh I hadn't realised that, sorry maybe it's just the A380 flights that carry on then?

Jo
Old Aug 21, 13, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by currybeast View Post
I have heard of instances and wondered just how common it is for Emirates to e-mail upgrade offers around 80 hours prior to the flight. I understand this is related to load although i have been given the impression the A380 is being used to avoid the aircraft being left grounded at Mel until it's return flight back to DXB rather than the capacity actually being required.

Why don't you just get the J fare one way, it's usually around 700 dollars (when on special) which is pretty decent value for a 3.5 hr flight.
Old Aug 23, 13, 5:02 am

Location: London, England, UK, Europe, The World, The Universe
Originally Posted by Jodieh12 View Post
Oh I hadn't realised that, sorry maybe it's just the A380 flights that carry on then?

Jo
Yes, all of the A380 flights continue to AKL
Old Aug 25, 13, 9:55 am
formerly danblar

Originally Posted by currybeast View Post

Haven't got any since I fly F, but my friend received one and they are ~$200AUD.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: