Wiki Posts
Search

Dubai Connect on Qantas awards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2013, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ *Gold, Accor Gold, QF bronze
Dubai Connect on Qantas awards

I am looking at various options for a UK-SYD awards flight (one way as outward is already booked) and one option is via Dubai on Emirates. The downside is that there is an 8.50hr layover in Dubai between the arrival from the UK and the onward flight to Sydney, which is then a rather gruelling 16 hours in economy.

I presume that the Dubai Connect Service is not available to passengers travelling on Qantas awards flights? If so is there a transit hotel at the airport I could use? I guess I could have a 5 hour nap or so between flights which would the make the journey marginally more bearable. How much does the transit hotel cost and how do I book it?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:11 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Welcome to FT.

Originally Posted by Mark62
I presume that the Dubai Connect Service is not available to passengers travelling on Qantas awards flights?
You could ask. The Qantas web page http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...nect/global/en doesn't specifically exclude award flights, although the Emirates one (http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...i-connect.aspx says that Dubai connect "may be offered" for [frequent flyer award] bookings.
Originally Posted by Mark62
If so is there a transit hotel at the airport I could use? I guess I could have a 5 hour nap or so between flights which would the make the journey marginally more bearable. How much does the transit hotel cost and how do I book it?
The airport hotel is Dubai International Airport hotel (booking at http://www.dubaiintlhotels.com/) and there are three parts: Concourse A and B of Terminal 3 (where the QF and EK flights arrive and depart) and Concourse C of Terminal 1. In Terminal 3, the hotels are on a separate floor above the arrival/departure levels, accessed by a lift. I recently booked a room for concourse B but arrived into A and was leaving from A the next day, so they were able to transfer my reservation.

If you book a non-refundable room online well in advance, the price is AED 600 (~A$180) plus a 10% tax; but closer to the day (or if you want to be able to cancel) the price goes up.

(I notice that the online booking doesn't give an option for Concourse A, so you might need to advise them specifically. I think it's very new.)

If you book online, they'll email a confirmation. If you then advise them of your arrival and departure flight details, someone will meet you at the jetway of your arriving flight, speed you through security, guide you to the hotel and check you in. If you're lucky, you could be in the room less than an hour after the flight lands. In the morning you can go straight to the gate (or to the Emirates Lounge if you have access) so don't need to do security again.

I've stayed twice on a ~10 hour layover and would do it again. With your 8.5 hr layover, you could probably manage 6 hours in the room. With Dubai Connect, you'd have to go through Immigration, then a bus to a hotel, then arrive back in time for immigration and security again in the morning, so you wouldn't get as much time to rest.

The rooms in Concourse A and in B are spacious and clean, and they provide free bottled water, coffee/tea-making stuff, a fruit plate plus shampoo, soap etc. I think it's worthwhile for a good sleep between two long flights but as always YMMV.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ *Gold, Accor Gold, QF bronze
Thanks a lot for your reply. I guess even if the Dubai Connect is available it wouldn't be worth it on a 8.5 hour layover. If I have to go through immigration and use a bus both ways I guess I wouldn't get more than 3 hours actually in the room.

Sounds like the terminal hotel is the way to go, even if I have to pay for it
Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:09 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta, Qantas, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I just received an email from Emirates saying that although I was in F because it was an AS award ticket I was not eligible for Dubai Connect. And yes you will gain at least an hour in the room by utilizing the Transit hotel vs going out of the airport.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Alaska Geo
I just received an email from Emirates saying that although I was in F because it was an AS award ticket I was not eligible for Dubai Connect. And yes you will gain at least an hour in the room by utilizing the Transit hotel vs going out of the airport.
This is exaclty the info I was looking for, as we'll be on AS Awards also and was doing research on booking a room, spending time in the loung or trying to find out if our award qualifies for Dubai Connect. Guess my research is down to between the hotel and the lounge, and then the lounge in which terminal (A or B).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.