EK MBNA credit cards

Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: EK - Silver
i'd like to know what the best alternative is now also if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks In Advance
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Matt.Edwards
i'd like to know what the best alternative is now also if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks In Advance
I'm just going to use an AMEX Platinum and collect the Membership Rewards. These are then transferrable to Skywards at 1-1 (the same as the EK Visa). The AMEX MR are more flexible also, as I can transfer to other programmes as necessary.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:27 am

Thanks DYKWIA, i'll look at one of those. Going to miss my EK Elite Amex/Visa. Taking a look at the MR 'extras' i think this will overall be a better card for me anyhow.

Last edited by Matt.Edwards; Jun 11, 2018 at 11:27 am Reason: Spelling
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
This is very bad news. I have had the card along with most others on this thread for nearly 5 years ..:-(

I was just about to book a few tickets on EK using the card.

I have neither got a letter or an email ( maybe it is on the way )
​​​​​​
Does anyone know if I will get the skywards miles (4x spend ) if I book EK tickets over the next few days using the Amex version ( Travel is only in late august /early september ).It might be a 5 k spend would have been worth 20k miles )

Also if the card stops working after July 20th will it affect me while travelling ( tickets booked with a card which is not valid at the time of travel )

The other annoying bit is that I live offshore to the UK and most credit card companies do not like addresses outside the UK .

Getting other AMEX cards might be an issue :-(. I do have a SPG AMEX but it is not that great..:-(

This was not a problem when this card was issued initially but they have started declining applications over the last few years.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: Skywards
Gutted.

Got the letter today, oh well it was fun whilst it lasted. Will be cancelling it.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: Skywards Silver
Not heard anything as of yet, is this MBNA Elite as well. If so, I wonder if I'll get any of 150 annual fee back that they kindly took last month.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by SimonLHR
Not heard anything as of yet, is this MBNA Elite as well. If so, I wonder if I'll get any of 150 annual fee back that they kindly took last month.
Actually, I was just about to ask about this. My 150 was due this month, and there is a paragraph on my letter :-

"In addition, we won't charge you the annual fee for your card, due June 2018".

It will be interesting to see how they do the other refunds - maybe a pro-rata amount?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Does anyone know if I will get the skywards miles (4x spend ) if I book EK tickets over the next few days using the Amex version ( Travel is only in late august /early september ).It might be a 5 k spend would have been worth 20k miles )

Also if the card stops working after July 20th will it affect me while travelling ( tickets booked with a card which is not valid at the time of travel )
You'll get the 4x spend as long as you book prior to 21st July.

You can continue to use your existing Visa card until October, but it will effectively be an Horizon card from 21st July.
ukdoctor likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:50 am

@SimonLHR - My letter states "You will receive a partial refund for your Emirates Skywards Elite Card Account. This will appear on your account in August 2018, providing your account remains open"

Think i'll go with the Amex MR card, at least its something, and 2x for spending airlines purchases. (Better than 1x i suppose)
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
Anyone else noticed miles have started posting daily and on a per-transaction basis rather than monthly?
ukdoctor likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci
Anyone else noticed miles have started posting daily and on a per-transaction basis rather than monthly?
I hadn't but I just checked and they are. Looks like since my statement earlier this month for me.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci
Mine seem to be posting weekly. My last statement was the 5/6/2018. I've then received a bunch of miles on the 12th (5 Amex + 5 Visa), and another bunch on the 19th (5 Amex + 5 Visa). No idea if they are correct!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
I'm really trying to justify the Amex Platinum fee but compare to the US card it feels a bit lackluster. US plat get 2x or 3x on travel, airline tickets. plus Uber credit etc.
For 450 I'm getting insurance a 1=1point, priority pass and travel insurance.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I am getting the Amex platinum. From what I can see the priority pass which you get with Amex platinum allows you to take an additional guest without the guest fee. The supplementary card holder can do the same . I.e 4 adults in total.

( You cannot buy this from priority pass directly !!!)

Right now I have a Priority pass unlimited which costs me 259. If I am travelling alone its fine .But every time I take Mrs.Ukdoctor to the lounge (guest) it costs me 15..
she doesn't travel that often to need her PP but my guest fee is at least 150 a year.
​​​​​​
Add on tier status on a range of hotels Hilton gold SPG /Marriot gold /eurostar lounge access and it should be cost effective .

I have contacted Priority pass and have cancelled my current subscription .
​​​​​​
Bouncingsouls likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by marconess
I'm really trying to justify the Amex Platinum fee but compare to the US card it feels a bit lackluster. US plat get 2x or 3x on travel, airline tickets. plus Uber credit etc.
For 450 I'm getting insurance a 1=1point, priority pass and travel insurance.
The rental car insurance is also a good benefit if you rent cars in the US at any point (which I will be a week on Saturday).

You also some some half decent offers. There was a 200 cashback on flights over 800 recently. That reduced my J MAN-DXB flight from 1400 to 1200.
ukdoctor likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.