EK MBNA credit cards

Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
I'm still waiting to see if someone has managed to book a ticket via emirates uk using the MBNA Emirates AMEX. (The MBNA VISA works)
Wait no longer.

I purchased a ticket two weeks ago using my MBNA Amex for travel in September. Did it all on the Emirates UK website. No issues whatsoever with the transaction.

I haven't seen a statement so can't confirm whether miles have been credited as expected.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by ft101
Wait no longer.

I purchased a ticket two weeks ago using my MBNA Amex for travel in September. Did it all on the Emirates UK website. No issues whatsoever with the transaction.

I haven't seen a statement so can't confirm whether miles have been credited as expected.
It must have been a temporary glitch when I was trying to book. Please post here if you are able to still book using the amex card next time.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 9:22 am

I have just looked at my July EK MBNA Credit Card Statement...

I have the 10,000 bonus miles.

Only x2 miles awarded for my Emirates Holidays Amex payment and not the x4 that I was hoping for. (paid over the telephone)
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by easterisland

Only x2 miles awarded for my Emirates Holidays Amex payment and not the x4 that I was hoping for. (paid over the telephone)
I looked at my statement 2 miles awarded for my Ek ticket.I had to use the visa card as the amex wouldn't work. So 2 miles seems correct.

Still annoyed with the miss 'know it all' at MBNA who said that the EK website must have stopped accepting AMEX inspite of their card being a co-branded card.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by easterisland

4 miles for emirates holidays is for internet bookings AFAIK.Did you get the 10% discount ???

Last edited by ukdoctor; Jul 30, 2013 at 11:59 pm
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:02 pm

No 10% discount as I was paying off the balance of a holiday that was booked last year, I was told that the 10% discount was for new bookings only.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:39 am

Statement on-line now and miles credited.

Base miles appear as expected and the "extra" miles for purchases direct with Emirates appear under "Bonus Miles" (along with the introductory bonus).
Old Aug 13, 2013, 1:18 pm

First month's miles arrived in my Skywards account today.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:49 am

First month's miles arrived in my Skywards account today.
mine arrived on 1st August. Lost several thousand miles as the amex version wouldnt work that day. Still not bad as I'm not travelling on EK as frequently as before.

I do wish this card gave a honorary silver status/or gold depending on spend .
Old Aug 16, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: Skywards
Got my cards in through today, 4 in all... put my partner in for an additional card holder. Took about a week, pins came through first.

My first set of credit cards (very well against 'credit' cards) but caved in with EK getting onboard and the extra few miles.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
Got my cards in through today, 4 in all... put my partner in for an additit card holder. Took about a week, pins came through first.

My first set of credit cards (very well against 'credit' cards) but caved in with EK getting onboard and the extra few miles.
I used to be just like you and was totally against credit cards.Learnt my mistake the hard way when an airline I had booked with went bust and I lost my money.

Just set up a direct debit and pay in full each month.

I'll probably give up my amex spg which I had been using on EK till the MBNA arrived.

One more card that I'm planning to apply for is the Diners club charge card.Unlimited free UK and several international lounge access not EK!!(similar to priority pass) for 50 a year.(and Just 19 for an additional cardholder) .

That's me and mrsukdoctor's lounge access sorted and I can cancel my Priority pass.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 2:26 am

Programs: EK Gold
One more card that I'm planning to apply for is the Diners club charge card.Unlimited free UK and several international lounge access not EK!!(similar to priority pass) for 50 a year.(and Just 19 for an additional cardholder).
Never looked at Diners Club before, though just been on their website. Looks quite good, and a wide selection of lounge access. Reward vouchers look quite good too. I might look into this further...

Last edited by LE4603; Aug 17, 2013 at 2:35 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 17, 2013, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by LE4603
Never looked at Diners Club before, though just been on their website. Looks quite good, and a wide selection of lounge access. Reward vouchers look quite good too. I might look into this further...
Diners club lounge access rules are not as clear cut as priority pass.
However my colleague has been using it for the last 6 months and has not been denied access to any UK lounge yet. For 69(50+19) He got an additional card for his partner. They have been able to ditch Priority pass (which used to charge 15 for guesting in his partner)
Old Aug 17, 2013, 5:20 am

Programs: EK Gold
Diners club lounge access rules are not as clear cut as priority pass.
However my colleague has been using it for the last 6 months and has not been denied access to any UK lounge yet. For 69(50+19) He got an additional card for his partner. They have been able to ditch Priority pass (which used to charge 15 for guesting in his partner)
Does it only give you lounge access in the country that your card is based? i.e. if I get a UK card, then I can only access their UK lounges. Or would it allow me to access lounges in other countries.... am just thinking about a forthcoming trip to Africa.

Good point about the additional card. I was thinking for the odd time my girlfriend flies with me (non-EK), that we would have to pay 15 for guest access, but yeah, at that rate it would make sense to just get her a card.... is there a minimum usage for the cards?
Old Aug 17, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: Skywards
I used to be just like you and was totally against credit cards.Learnt my mistake the hard way when an airline I had booked with went bust and I lost my money.

Just set up a direct debit and pay in full each month.

I'll probably give up my amex spg which I had been using on EK till the MBNA arrived.

One more card that I'm planning to apply for is the Diners club charge card.Unlimited free UK and several international lounge access not EK!!(similar to priority pass) for 50 a year.(and Just 19 for an additional cardholder) .

That's me and mrsukdoctor's lounge access sorted and I can cancel my Priority pass.
Thanks for that - I was told by a colleague that Amex carries some sort of cover for travel and guarantee if things go wrong but the guys over at MBNA don't have the specifics to give to me over the phone. This would be ideal as you say in case if things go wrong with purchases.

I was told Amex also carries warranty for electronic products i.e. if you purchase a laptop with an Amex card, your automatically entitled to some sort of cover. If this is the case, why o why didn't I move to credit cards sooner!

Thanks Doc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.