Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Flights arriving from Tokyo, bus or gate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards, JL Mileage Bank

Before the A380 was put on NRT-DXB arrivals from Tokyo were quite often met by buses at DXB. Now that NRT departures are again 777 (and new HND route, too) are they likely to get a gate on arrival at DXB, or will it be back to the bus?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:55 pm

I don't think there's any way of knowing for sure, MAYBE with Concourse A opening earlier this year there's a little more space for aircraft to get a gate, but I still hear from people that they get bussed.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
They still bus a fair bit it seems. Flying DXB-DOH a few days ago, my gate was changed from B concourse to A. Made the trek to the F lounge in the A concourse, only to find we were being bussed to the plane. At least the drive was not too long. Those busses for F are kind of nice; the F lounge in concourse A not so much.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 2:07 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RJA321
I don't think there's any way of knowing for sure, MAYBE with Concourse A opening earlier this year there's a little more space for aircraft to get a gate, but I still hear from people that they get bussed.
I did EK506 (A330) once in May and then again earlier this month and both times we were bussed to the a/c which seemed parked a couple of kms away from the concourse so we would have spent close to 15 minutes in the bus.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: Emirates Platinum
I've bussed my last 4 sectors into DXB. Highly annoying. Nothing boils my blood more than taxiing past empty air-bridge after empty air-bridge, only to arrive at the furthest possible remote bay possible. Once we even went past A with empty gates to remote in a 380!
Old Jun 20, 2013, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by ghostwrita
I've bussed my last 4 sectors into DXB. Highly annoying. Nothing boils my blood more than taxiing past empty air-bridge after empty air-bridge, only to arrive at the furthest possible remote bay possible. Once we even went past A with empty gates to remote in a 380!
Same feeling here. Could it be that the vacant airbridges are reserved for incoming flights with a high number of connecting passengers?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
If you are F and C and arriving into DXB and not transiting make sure you get on the Economy bus otherwise you will have to walk from the extreme end of the terminal (which is where they drop F and C) instead of being dropped in the middle close to immigration. It is so annoying to drive past the convenient drop off point to end up a 10 min walk from immigration.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:24 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I arrived from HND the other day on EK313 and we pulled into a gate at around 6:30 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Different buses for Economy, Business and First?

Originally Posted by mrtdxb
If you are F and C and arriving into DXB and not transiting make sure you get on the Economy bus otherwise you will have to walk from the extreme end of the terminal (which is where they drop F and C) instead of being dropped in the middle close to immigration. It is so annoying to drive past the convenient drop off point to end up a 10 min walk from immigration.
Really, are there different buses for Economy, Business and First? Are they different actual buses, or the same buses on a different route?

And thanks to everyone who has added to this thread...
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:29 am

Different buses. First has a bus, Business another bus (or two) and then Economy. First and Business is all seating and leather (pleather?) seats. First is predictably flash / gaudy. I'm still angry, even on the First bus.

First and Business drop off on arrival is separate. So different buses and different routes.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Update: busing for DXB arrivals.

Originally Posted by Tokyobuta
Before the A380 was put on NRT-DXB arrivals from Tokyo were quite often met by buses at DXB. Now that NRT departures are again 777 (and new HND route, too) are they likely to get a gate on arrival at DXB, or will it be back to the bus?
During the summer a total of four arrivals at DXB, two from Japan (one each, NRT and HND,) both in 777s two from MAN, both in A380s. No buses, but much to my amazement one of the 777 arrivals was at A terminal and less amazing an A380 arrival at the other terminal - can't remember if B or C.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:53 am

Concourse A is a marketing gimmick. I haven't been able to detect a pattern at all in how EK manages gates.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Another DXB bus question...
I'll be transferring at DXB, flying J with a companion in Y. We'll be arriving on a 777. Companion is an inexperienced flyer with language issues and is nervous about the transfer, so if we should get a bus to the arrival gate is it possible for companion to ride with me in J bus, or will I have to ride with her in Y bus?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyobuta
Another DXB bus question...
I'll be transferring at DXB, flying J with a companion in Y. We'll be arriving on a 777. Companion is an inexperienced flyer with language issues and is nervous about the transfer, so if we should get a bus to the arrival gate is it possible for companion to ride with me in J bus, or will I have to ride with her in Y bus?
You could spend ages trying to blag your Y companion onto the J bus or do the right thing and help them out by roughing it for 10 minutes on a bus.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ayeaway
You could spend ages trying to blag your Y companion onto the J bus or do the right thing and help them out by roughing it for 10 minutes on a bus.
I was rather thinking that my friend might enjoy travelling on the posh bus: it would add a touch of sparkle to her holiday. Been on the Y cattle truck often enough myself for it not to bother me.
Mind you, on recent form the chances are we'll get gate rather than a bus.
What I was hoping from this post is that someone who'd been in a similar situation (J with companion in Y) might give an idea whether or not there's the chance of companion travelling on the J bus...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.