Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Extra passenger, chauffeur drive MAN.

Old Jun 16, 2013, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards, JL Mileage Bank

I'm planning a trip MAN-DXB-NRT, in business class, and a friend will travel with me on the outward flights. Friend is in economy, on a separate booking, the return leg of a flight bought in Japan, but same flights.
I called up Emirates and was told that the rule is that only one chauffeur drive place per business class ticket, and that extra passengers are at the discretion of the car provider company.
Has anyone had experience of a similar situation for MAN, and how did the car company react?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
I think you should be absolutely fine, so long as the Y pax boards the car with you. You don't need to intimate them in advance and the chauffeurs never ask. Even if they do, you can tell him that getting 2 cars would have been such a big waste and so you just ordered one
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:53 pm

Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:22 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by DizzyMaid
Old Jun 17, 2013, 2:40 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
I'll be doing the same at gatwick. My mum is on the same flight but in economy.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 2:11 pm

It worked twice for me when I was flying business but my travel companions were in economy. They don't even ask. Just give a decent tip!
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Northumberland Lady
Just give a decent tip!
What would you recommend? I've never given a tip before to an EK driver.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:27 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I usually give Ł5 for a short trip (10-15 min hotel area pick up)
Ł10 for a longer trip if the driver is helpful/chatty)

Max I've given is Ł20 to an older gent at MAN who patiently waited at a hotel in MAN for well over an hour(I made the stupid mistake of not changing the time zone on my alarm clock!!!! and woke up only when they called) and also showed me the cool trick of getting hold of a luggage trolley without using a pound coin.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:47 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rowanparker
10 pounds or 10 euros is what I usually give, 15 in my most recent trip to Paris coz the guy took me all the way to show how to process VAT refunds and where the drop box for mailing the customs stamped form is located, etc.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:52 am

Well I guess that's a personal choice and depends upon how much luggage you have, how helpful the driver is, how far your journey is etc. - only you can really decide what you think a decent tip is.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:12 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
I recently was in BKK and the EK driver collected me from my hotel. I had two colleagues with me (who were not travelling EK) but who I offered to give a ride to the airport to.

As soon as I met the driver, I gave him a decent tip and said "is it ok if my colleagues come along with me?"

No drama's at all. Everyone was happy...and I think its always good karma to tip the EK drivers. Whatever you give them will probably not affect the rest of your day but it might make theirs...
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
This is all nice, but is there any knowledge of what the policy really is?
There is nothing at all in terms and conditions that says passenger shall be traveling alone (and entire EK booking process speaks about "car" reservations).
I'll be traveling to DXB with a colleague, who will be taking same flight but in Y, so any recent experiences shared will be appreciated.
AX
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by AX9465
There is nothing at all in terms and conditions that says passenger shall be traveling alone (and entire EK booking process speaks about "car" reservations).
I'll be traveling to DXB with a colleague, who will be taking same flight but in Y, so any recent experiences shared will be appreciated.
AX
No issues in DXB the last time I took a friend.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:02 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by AX9465
AX
As far as I understand it, the official policy is that the car is for the specific fare paying passenger whose reservation is in their name...
Old Feb 25, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: Qatar Plat
Wow, cheap man. I tip everyone, gets lots of love. How about $20?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.