FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Cost Cutting in Y? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1469190-cost-cutting-y.html)

RB May 22, 2013 3:25 am

Cost Cutting in Y?

Just flown EK406 from DXB to MEL in Y.

Small detail... but notice that no post take-off drinks run with those little savoury snack is offered immediately after take-off... instead the service starts immediately with the lunch service - whilst on my previous two flights there has been a drinks service before lunch.

Also noticed that the "As you Like it" is now only the veg. pizza - whilst previously also chocolate bars and fresh fruit were also offered. The chocolate bars and fruit were now only available if you collected them yourself from the galley.

Cost Cutting perhaps?

The-Aviator May 22, 2013 3:29 am

Interesting, seems a little odd for a carrier like Emirates to end the post take-off drinks run, since most their competitors seem to still do it. Perhaps was just a one off?

Also, a little off-topic but I'm making my first EK SYD-DXB flight (previously only flown EK from SYD-AKL). What is this "as you like it" thing? Is it just a selection of items passengers can order at any time during the flight?

marconess May 22, 2013 6:23 am

The only 'As You Like It' snacks I've ever noticed on the menu were the pot-noddle style dish.

biggee77 May 22, 2013 7:34 am

On my Man-DXB flights they always do the post take off drinks, but I also noticed when I flew DXB-MEL they gave food very quickly and then that was it till as you like and Breakfast. As you like is normally mid flight they come round with little hot snacks mainly veg Pizza. You can go to the galley and get choc bars etc whenever you want. Not sure if u can order the pizza whenever you want.

edy4eva May 22, 2013 7:39 am

Originally Posted by biggee77 (Post 20791988)
On my Man-DXB flights they always do the post take off drinks, but I also noticed when I flew DXB-MEL they gave food very quickly and then that was it till as you like and Breakfast. As you like is normally mid flight they come round with little hot snacks mainly veg Pizza. You can go to the galley and get choc bars etc whenever you want. Not sure if u can order the pizza whenever you want.

Last time I did this sector in Y was in 2007. I recall three distinct services with the middle one being rolls (think these were the 'as you like it') served with some drinks half way through the flight. And they had snacks available at any time from the galley.

Going by this distant and murky data point could EK be enhancing its service in the back to QF generous levels?

eddibabyyeah May 22, 2013 9:50 am

Originally Posted by RB (Post 20791266)
Just flown EK406 from DXB to MEL in Y.

Small detail... but notice that no post take-off drinks run with those little savoury snack is offered immediately after take-off... instead the service starts immediately with the lunch service - whilst on my previous two flights there has been a drinks service before lunch.

Also noticed that the "As you Like it" is now only the veg. pizza - whilst previously also chocolate bars and fresh fruit were also offered. The chocolate bars and fruit were now only available if you collected them yourself from the galley.

Cost Cutting perhaps?

I am new to EK and due to fly (Y) MAN-DBX-BKK in a few weeks. Are drinks available from the galley anytime?

Thanks
Paul

biggee77 May 22, 2013 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by eddibabyyeah (Post 20792718)
I am new to EK and due to fly (Y) MAN-DBX-BKK in a few weeks. Are drinks available from the galley anytime?

Thanks
Paul

Hi, Yes i have always found drinks available from the galley. Enjoy your flight.

daisymay2 May 22, 2013 1:34 pm

typo

Originally Posted by biggee77 (Post 20791988)

I travel on EK018 regularly and never been offered anything "as you like it".
Also never realized you can get chocolate bars from the galley.
A lot of my recent flights from and to Mauritius from DXB they've omitted the take off drinks run.:td:

Dubai76 May 22, 2013 2:10 pm

the drink service is only offered mostly on lunch service on flights departing between 7Am and 7pm lasting more then 4 hours 30 minutes .

As you like service is only on flights 12 hours or more , sometimes 10 to 12 hours , offered as one of two services ( rare routes ). This service was modified since January , chocolates and fruits offered from the galley , but now full bar service offered ( instead of water and orange juice ) along side a vegetarian pizza (Ex DXB), cheeze sandwich (ex USA), hot beef or veg pie ( ex Australia ).

On the long sectors i.e. SYD MEL USA , meal carts are followed by a bar cart ... Main reason would be to allow crew to go on rest to be legal to work a 12 + hour flight. Mainly on the A380, as the 777 holds less passengers , the drink service before meal is mostly offered on the ultra long flights and allows the service to be finished and sufficient break to be taken by the crew.

groobs May 22, 2013 2:19 pm

I lament the loss of those little bell peppers with cheese filling, they were ace. Sadly not seen them for a few years, it's just plain old warm nuts thesedays.

Oh hang on, they were in J not Y.