Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Guesting kids into First Class Lounge

Old May 8, 2013, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold

Hi,

I'm traveling in J with my wife and infant daughter next week and was wondering if they will allow us to use the FCL at DXB. As a newly minted platinum, I'd really like my wife to enjoy the First class lounge on this vacation but am worried that they may stop us as 'technically' I am allowed to guest only 1 other pax? Will they just allow the baby as she is on the lap and doesn't have a seat? Has anyone been in a similar situation before or been turned away because of this?

Thanks,
Old May 8, 2013, 10:01 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jackiedada
Hi,

I'm traveling in J with my wife and infant daughter next week and was wondering if they will allow us to use the FCL at DXB. As a newly minted platinum, I'd really like my wife to enjoy the First class lounge on this vacation but am worried that they may stop us as 'technically' I am allowed to guest only 1 other pax? Will they just allow the baby as she is on the lap and doesn't have a seat? Has anyone been in a similar situation before or been turned away because of this?

Thanks,
As a Platinum, you are allowed up to 3 kids (under the age of 16) to accompany you into the lounge.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eightblack
As a Platinum, you are allowed up to 3 kids (under the age of 16) to accompany you into the lounge.
Thanks EB, I do recall reading that in another post by you but haven't seen it specifically mentioned anywhere on the EK website - is it an 'official'/ unwritten rule or am I at the mercy of the lounge dragon doing the shift?
Old May 8, 2013, 12:03 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Thanks EB, I do recall reading that in another post by you but haven't seen it specifically mentioned anywhere on the EK website - is it an 'official'/ unwritten rule or am I at the mercy of the lounge dragon doing the shift?
I'm trying to find the actual wording as I saw it on an official Skywards email - but I cant seem to find it within the terms and conditions. Let me check with someone in DXB and come back to you...
Old May 8, 2013, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Let me check with someone in DXB and come back to you...
Thank you vm EB - that is so nice of you!
Old May 9, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum; Bonvoy Titanium Elite
This is in fact true. I used it the other day on a family vacation. We were all in business, but enjoyed the FCL with the wife and 3 kids.
Old May 9, 2013, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by torontoflyer
This is in fact true. I used it the other day on a family vacation. We were all in business, but enjoyed the FCL with the wife and 3 kids.
Excellent! That's such a relief - thanks for sharing.
Old May 9, 2013, 4:38 pm

Question

If my wife and I are traveling in first, and our kids in business, do you think we'd be able to get the kids into the FC lounge at DXB? Are FC pax allowed a guest each (like silvers are)?
Old May 9, 2013, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Tall Travel Dude
If my wife and I are traveling in first, and our kids in business, do you think we'd be able to get the kids into the FC lounge at DXB? Are FC pax allowed a guest each (like silvers are)?
Are either of you Skywards Plat? Gold? From my experience as a gold (haven't tried guesting J pax into F lounge yet since I got Plat), as long as I was a gold in F, with a J pax that didn't even have any status with EK, and they were on the same flight as me, they had no problem with guesting them into the lounge. I'm not sure how it is for non status F pax trying to guest in non status J pax, but I don't think it would be allowed, thought I could be wrong.
Old May 10, 2013, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Emirates202
... as long as I was a gold in F, with a J pax that didn't even have any status with EK, and they were on the same flight as me, they had no problem with guesting them into the lounge.
If you are a Gold or Platinum traveling in F, you can guest 1 more pax with you into the F lounge so long as both of you are departing on the same flight. The class of travel or status of the guest does not matter.

Before guest access was restored a couple of months back, Golds (since Plat wasnt announced) were allowed 1 guest in the J lounge if they were traveling in J and 1 guest in the F lounge if they were traveling in F. Now, Golds get J lounge access + 1 guest unless flying F, and Plats get F Lounge access + 1 guest irrespective of class of travel.

Originally Posted by Emirates202
I'm not sure how it is for non status F pax trying to guest in non status J pax, but I don't think it would be allowed, thought I could be wrong.
Non-status pax are not allowed a guest. Period.
Old May 10, 2013, 4:47 am
Original Poster

IAre FC pax allowed a guest each (like silvers are)?
Only if you are Gold or Platinum. FYI, silvers aren't allowed guest privileges.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 5:25 pm

If you are a Gold or Platinum traveling in F, you can guest 1 more pax with you into the F lounge so long as both of you are departing on the same flight. The class of travel or status of the guest does not matter.

Before guest access was restored a couple of months back, Golds (since Plat wasnt announced) were allowed 1 guest in the J lounge if they were traveling in J and 1 guest in the F lounge if they were traveling in F. Now, Golds get J lounge access + 1 guest unless flying F, and Plats get F Lounge access + 1 guest irrespective of class of travel.

Non-status pax are not allowed a guest. Period.
Wrong. I just returned from DXB, where I went to the BC lounge and since my kids were in business and we were in first, I figured we'd spend time in the business lounge so we could be together. The lounge agent told me that as a FC customer (and I have no status whatsoever with Skywards), we could each bring a guest. Thus, our kids and we were able to spend our transit time in the FC lounge.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Wrong. I just returned from DXB, where I went to the BC lounge and since my kids were in business and we were in first, I figured we'd spend time in the business lounge so we could be together. The lounge agent told me that as a FC customer (and I have no status whatsoever with Skywards), we could each bring a guest. Thus, our kids and we were able to spend our transit time in the FC lounge.
That is either an unannounced change of policy or they were being nice to you. Either way it worked out well for you which is good.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by mrtdxb
That is either an unannounced change of policy or they were being nice to you. Either way it worked out well for you which is good.
Both sides of the fence put up nary an objection (BC lounge agent suggested it, FC lounge agent had no problem with it. I didn't even ask!) And given that jackiedada made it clear in a previous post that "Non-status pax are not allowed a guest. Period.", this is clearly a policy change. After all, if they don't allow it ever, and yet my family was given this courtesy by two sets of different lounge agents, all logic indicates that this is standard procedure.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Both sides of the fence put up nary an objection (BC lounge agent suggested it, FC lounge agent had no problem with it. I didn't even ask!) And given that jackiedada made it clear in a previous post that "Non-status pax are not allowed a guest. Period.", this is clearly a policy change. After all, if they don't allow it ever, and yet my family was given this courtesy by two sets of different lounge agents, all logic indicates that this is standard procedure.
Good that it worked out for you, but please don't count on it. My guess is that they allowed you as you were all the same family and the pax in question were children. However, things could turn out entirely different if you were trying to guest in a colleague.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.