Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates aircraft change from 3 to 2 class B777-300er. Should I switch flights?

Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

This is my first post so please forgive me if I get things wrong....

I'm booked to travel in J from LGW to JNB via DXB on EK in May and the planned aircraft was a 3 class 777-er with private suites so all was good With pre-booked (lie flat) seats. However having just checked my flight I can see there has been an aircraft change to a 2 class 777-er J & Y only and I'm concerned that the J seats will be the dreaded sleeperette type which is not acceptable for a night flight. I'm thinking of contact EK to switch to the A380 from LHR and would like to know if anyone has experience of dealing with EK in these situations and if EK would be willing to let me change without the need to pay a change fee.

I've organised the trip as a surprise birthday present for my other half - he thinks we're going camping in Yorkshire, and would like to get the best product available with EK, just concerned about their lack of consistency in J...

Many thanks
Northanstar
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:34 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, Northanstar. I am moving your query to the Emirates Forum (see Airline Programs). Please follow there. The Emirates Forum is very friendly and I am sure you will find the help you are seeking.
Good luck...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:36 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by Northanstar
This is my first post so please forgive me if I get things wrong....

I'm booked to travel in J from LGW to JNB via DXB on EK in May and the planned aircraft was a 3 class 777-er with private suites so all was good With pre-booked (lie flat) seats. However having just checked my flight I can see there has been an aircraft change to a 2 class 777-er J & Y only and I'm concerned that the J seats will be the dreaded sleeperette type which is not acceptable for a night flight. I'm thinking of contact EK to switch to the A380 from LHR and would like to know if anyone has experience of dealing with EK in these situations and if EK would be willing to let me change without the need to pay a change fee.

I've organised the trip as a surprise birthday present for my other half - he thinks we're going camping in Yorkshire, and would like to get the best product available with EK, just concerned about their lack of consistency in J...

Many thanks
Northanstar

Is it EK16? There are some 2 class aircraft with new seats. See my thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...-300-er-j.html

Last edited by ukdoctor; Apr 18, 2013 at 12:44 am
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I'm booked on the EK10 departing 21.15 at 21.15
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:12 am

Programs: Skywards,...
Hello Northanstar and welcome to FT!

I totally share your concerns but wouldn't worry too much! If you check out Zol's & Eightblack's fantastic Fleet thread here you can see basically all 2-class 777-300ERs have either been refurished or already sport the new lie flats anyway. LGW usually gets these if it is a 2 class aircraft (42J/386Y instead of 42J/400Y). I am always more concerned if it is a 777-300ER in three class config as there are still a few birds out there with the awkward old seats. All 777-300s sport lie flats by now! (they are sometimes on the LGW flights sporting 12 Skycruisers in F and 42 Lie flats in J)
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks Tim (ham)
It looks like EK haven't updated the seat maps on their general seating page as the 777-300ER 2 class config still shows sleeperette seats... However when I check services on my flight it's showing lie flat, so I will stop worrying
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Northanstar
Thanks Tim (ham)
It looks like EK haven't updated the seat maps on their general seating page as the 777-300ER 2 class config still shows sleeperette seats... However when I check services on my flight it's showing lie flat, so I will stop worrying
it will be new J 99%.

Always the dreaded operational change excuse though....
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:52 am

As previously said 99% of the time you will get lie-flat seats however the 2-class seats have a seat pitch of i'd say at least 8 inches less and as such the angle of recline is steeper. The seats are still comfortable but there is a notable difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.