Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Do I have to book EK via QF? How daft.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, Etihad Guest Gold, VS

About to book a last minute trip to Oz from the UK.

For my return from BNE on likely 2nd May the EK website is only offering the EK433.

However, the QF site is offering me the EK435 which would be my vehicle of choice.

Is there any way to "force" the EK website to give me the 435 option or do I have to book it via Qantas? These are Y flights.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
What do you mean by offering? Can you do "search by schedule" and choose the same flights as QF is showing? The price should be the same
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, Etihad Guest Gold, VS
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
What do you mean by offering? Can you do "search by schedule" and choose the same flights as QF is showing? The price should be the same
Offering = showing.

Thank you. My mistake.
The site is giving me options via schedule search.

However, It gets worse.

The EK price in Y
EK 004/434 out...435/001 back...is £1729.39

The QF price in Y (codeshare on the same flights)
QF 8004/8434 out...8435/8001 back...is £1176.

It is. I guess, to do with ticket types:

QF are offering a "Q deal" for the outbound and a "Walkabout" for the return.
EK is a Flex (I would imagine as the website isn't too keen to tell me!!)

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Guess I will be booking with QF

PS And since posting that the EK price has dropped (literally in the last 5 minutes)...to £1602.39..
A Saver out and a Flex back.
What a game this is.

Last edited by dogsrock; Apr 4, 2013 at 11:54 am
Old Apr 4, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: SKYWARDS
I don't think you can rely on Emirates website at the moment, see the other post in this forum. I have seen some really weird results over the past few days.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:18 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
The website will settle down - it always does and I for one have faith in the EK web team. No matter what, despite the initial and even ongoing glitches, it is 1000 times better than that dogs breakfast that is the SQ website.

I've noticed most things return to normal (or improve) over the last 24 hours and I have an active booking at present, so I am logging in frequently to check.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: SKYWARDS
This is the first time we have had problems,I agree normally very slick, but it is a week now with prices still all over the place...
Called Emirates and they said there were no reported issues?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by dogsrock
Offering = showing.

Thank you. My mistake.
The site is giving me options via schedule search.

However, It gets worse.

The EK price in Y
EK 004/434 out...435/001 back...is £1729.39

The QF price in Y (codeshare on the same flights)
QF 8004/8434 out...8435/8001 back...is £1176.

It is. I guess, to do with ticket types:

QF are offering a "Q deal" for the outbound and a "Walkabout" for the return.
EK is a Flex (I would imagine as the website isn't too keen to tell me!!)

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Guess I will be booking with QF

PS And since posting that the EK price has dropped (literally in the last 5 minutes)...to £1602.39..
A Saver out and a Flex back.
What a game this is.
This is hardly a phenomenon isolated to Emirates. On many code-sharing agreements flights are cheaper when sold through one of the partners, as each airline will have their own fare buckets they sell out of. If more people bought seats on EK and their lower-fare buckets are sold out, yet QF has some seats left in the lower fare buckets, the ticket being bought via QF will be cheaper.

The same exact thing happens with, for example, UA and LH, AA and BA, UA and US, etc...
Old Apr 5, 2013, 2:58 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by whimike
This is hardly a phenomenon isolated to Emirates. On many code-sharing agreements flights are cheaper when sold through one of the partners, as each airline will have their own fare buckets they sell out of. If more people bought seats on EK and their lower-fare buckets are sold out, yet QF has some seats left in the lower fare buckets, the ticket being bought via QF will be cheaper.

The same exact thing happens with, for example, UA and LH, AA and BA, UA and US, etc...
This.

I'm in SYD about to depart on EK to Europe; I'm booked on EK flight numbers (and missing out on QF status credits! ) because the same flight on the same aircraft using QF flight numbers was 50% more expensive. My TA said that the QF low fares had sold out but the EK low fares were still available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.