Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Fuel Surcharges on EK Reward Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fuel Surcharges on EK Reward Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:24 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Gold
Does anyone know if the fuel surcharge is refundable if you don't fly? In my view if its not profit, but merely a cost, then surely if that cost has not been incurred, the Skywards member ought not pay.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by lightyear40
Does anyone know if the fuel surcharge is refundable if you don't fly? In my view if its not profit, but merely a cost, then surely if that cost has not been incurred, the Skywards member ought not pay.
To my knowledge, at Lufthansa (the creepy hole where Antinori was crawling from) it is not refundable anymore on revenue tickets. The fuel surcharge generally suffers the same fate as the fare. This means that on award LH award tickets it is refundable (because the "miles paid" can be refunded against a fee).

No idea how EK will handle it, though.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by father_ted
Faced with a choice of increasing redemption rates or adding a fuel surcharge component (usually only about USD 200 on a revenue J Europe-Asia v.v. depending on market) I would choose to pay the extra USD 200.
Frankly, this is the wrong perspective IMO. Redemption rates on EK are typically higher than on major competing networks (considering earn/burn-rates). I always saw the lack of fuel surcharges as a compensation for the less attractive redemption rates. Now you have to pay $$$s or extra miles on top of overblown redemption rates. Luckily, the consumer has choices.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by edy4eva
Going back to the main point of this thread. Will these surcharges apply to ticketed bookings? What about making changes to existing redemptions both partly used an unflown post April fools' day?

Maybe this whole thing is a gaff?
I just made reservations for two business award tickets for my elderly parents in May 2013. Burning 190K miles without any fuel surcharge. Another 240K miles to get rid off left. I think I will just make some bogus biz saver award reservations and change them later on, hoping that I can do so for USD 25 change fee only (without additional "tax" collection).
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Raptor23
This is the final nail in Emirates coffin for me. I have the choice of all gulf carriers plus Lufty/BA/AF/KLM for my business travel. After all currently booked trips with EK are done I will be flying with someone else. I will have around 95K skywards miles which will at least get me a free return to DXB from Man for a vacation.
Does anyone know if EK charges YQ on AS award?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by father_ted
Faced with a choice of increasing redemption rates or adding a fuel surcharge component (usually only about USD 200 on a revenue J Europe-Asia v.v. depending on market) I would choose to pay the extra USD 200.
Why should such a choice have to exist?

If fuel costs increase and , as such, fares increase then the amount being paid for the flights has increased and so the points earned per $ has decreased

Putting fares up and arguing that as a justification for increasing redemption costs seems like double dipping to me
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:25 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by J_rob129
Does anyone know if EK charges YQ on AS award?
Not as of yet.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 2:27 am
formerly danblar

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Frankly, this is the wrong perspective IMO. Redemption rates on EK are typically higher than on major competing networks (considering earn/burn-rates). I always saw the lack of fuel surcharges as a compensation for the less attractive redemption rates. Now you have to pay $$$s or extra miles on top of overblown redemption rates. Luckily, the consumer has choices.
ditto.

Just imagine the surcharges for flights ex-Oz.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 2:38 am

It seems like EK has blocked F and J reward availability today all across. I can only find economy reward. Shouldn't have left this to the last minute.
And I might add, very shifty for EK to do this.

I heard today that O will no longer be used for flex reward in business and will be sub'd for another code.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 2:43 am

If EK is aligning Skywards to be this close with QFF, they should allow points plus pay redemptions where we could earn miles and tier miles on award tickets.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 2:53 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
It seems like EK has blocked F and J reward availability today all across. I can only find economy reward. Shouldn't have left this to the last minute.
And I might add, very shifty for EK to do this.

I heard today that O will no longer be used for flex reward in business and will be sub'd for another code.
I was able to find F and J awards from USA<->DXB.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 6:15 am

If EK is aligning Skywards to be this close with QFF, they should allow points plus pay redemptions where we could earn miles and tier miles on award tickets.
Why would EK want to align too much with the QF program? Within Star Alliance, there are many quite distinct programs side-by-side without problems; and EK and QF do not even form as tight a relationship as an alliance.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by whimike
I was able to find F and J awards from USA<->DXB.
I managed to book a redemption in F just now after a bit of tinkering.

I realised it might be an issue with the search. If trying to book from the front page, it's all fine. But if you go the the more advanced search that's where the errors start to appear: for example search SYD-DXB in mid August, you would either get an error, the availability calendar, or the flight selection where only economy flex is available.

They still haven't fixed the flex/saver option. If you leave that to the default it will show the flights (in F saver) even though this is a one way booking.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Why would EK want to align too much with the QF program? Within Star Alliance, there are many quite distinct programs side-by-side without problems; and EK and QF do not even form as tight a relationship as an alliance.
SVPs from either airlines spoke very fondly of aligning their FF programme benefits short of becoming one programme and 'promised' that the more generous benefits will be retained and harmonised between the two.

QF does charge for fuel fines but the upside is that it's possible to book reward seats as points plus pay (very little pay indeed) and get both points and status credits (equivalent of miles and tier miles in Skywards).

I just thought, if EK's SVP was to put money where his mouth is he would have followed on with such an 'enhancement' which would make the addition of fuel surcharges a bit easier to swallow.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:43 am

As an observation: I searched for SYD-DXB and got 180AED for taxes and fees, the other way around comes in at 274AUD. Could it be they've implemented the fuel surcharge ex-AU itineraries already?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.