Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Fuel Surcharges on EK Reward Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fuel Surcharges on EK Reward Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:36 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
What was the topic of this thread again?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:16 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Thumbs down Fuel Surcharge on Reward Ticket

Thanks for the bad news, EK

http://www.ausbt.com.au/emirates-add...reward-tickets
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:21 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Qatar Privilege Club,
I just get the feeling that there is no good news coming out of Emirates since the tie up with "Quaint ..."
The two Irish heroes that run BA & QANTAS really have a lot to answer for they could not make "One World" work, not to mention O'Leary who is up for standing places instead of seats. Its going from bad to worse.
This is all going to end in tears somewhere down the line. Allthough I am not sure if it will be the passengers or airlines or both doing the crying.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:44 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Marriot Rewards Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Honors, Etihad Guest Gold, SAA Voyager,
Crushed.

The lack of a fuel surcharge was a key differentiating factor for me in favouring EK over other airlines (reward programs). I always laughed at friends and family who ended up paying full fare equivalent YQ on ''reward tickets'' on BA and SA.

I feel like I am watching Gladiator and Qantas and Thierry Antinori have conspired to kill Caesar.

''There was a dream that was Skywards. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish, it was so fragile. And I fear that it will not survive the winter''
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by thehighlander959
I just get the feeling that there is no good news coming out of Emirates since the tie up with "Quaint ..."
The two Irish heroes that run BA & QANTAS really have a lot to answer for they could not make "One World" work, not to mention O'Leary who is up for standing places instead of seats. Its going from bad to worse.
This is all going to end in tears somewhere down the line. Allthough I am not sure if it will be the passengers or airlines or both doing the crying.
I agree the two and the other need to be sacked. and FFS this isn't stereotyping.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: Emirates - gold; Qantas - silver; Marriott - gold; Virgin Ausralia - Silver ; Avianca
So a few days ago I learn that existing loyal customers of emirates in Australia who have accumulated airmiles that the miles they have earned to date will be heavily diluted (looks like around 30-40% dilution) and with little notice. It feels like $1 is now worth $0.65c. Then I find out this morning that if I spend that $0.65c I must spend $$$'s for a fuel surcharge..... effectively another heavy dilution.

It seems that Emirates have just clawed back over 40% in 2 maneuvers against their existing loyal customer base in Australia. The scale of this devaluation is mind boggling and it feels like I've been robbed. My loyalty to Emirates (+3 yrs gold member) has just disappeared 100%.

I know that there is nothing that can be done so I'm just going to keep on smiling :-)
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Scooby72
So a few days ago I learn that existing loyal customers of emirates in Australia who have accumulated airmiles that the miles they have earned to date will be heavily diluted (looks like around 30-40% dilution) and with little notice. It feels like $1 is now worth $0.65c. Then I find out this morning that if I spend that $0.65c I must spend $$$'s for a fuel surcharge..... effectively another heavy dilution.

It seems that Emirates have just clawed back over 40% in 2 maneuvers against their existing loyal customer base in Australia. The scale of this devaluation is mind boggling and it feels like I've been robbed. My loyalty to Emirates (+3 yrs gold member) has just disappeared 100%.

I know that there is nothing that can be done so I'm just going to keep on smiling :-)
The Skywards programme has been devaluating (is that a word??) for the last 5 or 6 years. While the planes fly full and they make a big profit, EK don't care.

It will only improve once there is an incentive for EK to do so... ie., when they A380's have all arrived, and they are flying half full (not saying that will happen, just an example).
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jackiedada

2. Consistent: Not sure what kind of car or taxi and in what condition (old, beaten up, or full of cigarette smoke) I might get hold up in. With EK, I know it will be a Merc C class (or something similar) in a fairly good condition at most places.
Actually this is one of my annoyances with the chauffeur drive. Last month flying into CDG (in F) I got a tiny rubbish car, worse than a regular taxi which would at least be a Merc. Same thing last year with pick up in MEL in one of those old and ugly town cars.

Only had one good experience being picked up in CDG in an A8.

On the topic though - I'm now quite glad I haven't even bothered with Gold this year. Yes, I like EK, but there's just no point flying them anymore unless its for the F experience (which a lot of other airlines also do a fairly good job with).
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Gold
Interesting article from Loyaltylobby about how this tax is calculated on OS routes.

http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/03/25/e...after-march-31
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The Skywards programme has been devaluating (is that a word??) for the last 5 or 6 years. While the planes fly full and they make a big profit, EK don't care.

It will only improve once there is an incentive for EK to do so... ie., when they A380's have all arrived, and they are flying half full (not saying that will happen, just an example).
My thoughts exactly. More power to EK if they can snag recurring revenue without operating a full featured loyalty program. I suspect that once competition/operating costs/other outside factors set in and all those A380s are operating half empty, they might have a rethink. Skywards truly was a gem of a loyalty program. And EK continued to make large profits despite operating it the way it used to be. Just look at what we've lost....
- Mileage upgrades went from being almost always available (C inventory) to somewhat available (I inventory) to extremely difficult (D inventory)*
- The Saver/Flex and earn/burn devaluation
- Zone-based earning - this really felt like penny pinching
- Flex awards switched inventories to be less available
- Increased cost to buy miles, far above market for other airlines
- And now, fuel surcharges

*This was my pet peeve.

Originally Posted by ung1
On the topic though - I'm now quite glad I haven't even bothered with Gold this year. Yes, I like EK, but there's just no point flying them anymore unless its for the F experience (which a lot of other airlines also do a fairly good job with).
Agreed. EK's F product is one of the best around, but the same can't be said of their J product (besides the A380) or certainly their Y product. I keep making the argument that the perception of EK as a super premium airline is one that is rooted in the past, unless you fly F.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
In this sort of case, then indeed there would be no value to the car service, but I suspect that it is generally a minority of passengers for whom this is the case

This is pretty much the same as a dedicated chauffeur situation
Yes agreed. That's why ithanked you for making thus point to us corat types

the thought of a F. Rev pax to JFK choosing EK oand trying to score a free taxi is, for me, bizarre !
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:45 pm

From post #39 the YQ on UK to Australia is £146 each way (£292 return).

How does this compare to other carriers on a similar route?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ft101
From post #39 the YQ on UK to Australia is £146 each way (£292 return).

How does this compare to other carriers on a similar route?
BA would charge GBP494 round trip in business class
Old Mar 26, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, HHonours Gold, BAEC Silver
This is the final nail in Emirates coffin for me. I have the choice of all gulf carriers plus Lufty/BA/AF/KLM for my business travel. After all currently booked trips with EK are done I will be flying with someone else. I will have around 95K skywards miles which will at least get me a free return to DXB from Man for a vacation.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:21 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Raptor23
This is the final nail in Emirates coffin for me. I have the choice of all gulf carriers plus Lufty/BA/AF/KLM for my business travel. After all currently booked trips with EK are done I will be flying with someone else. I will have around 95K skywards miles which will at least get me a free return to DXB from Man for a vacation.
Not free anymore

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.