Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:30 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Fuel Surcharge...

Bulletin to Travel Agents:

13 February 2013

Revision of Fuel Surcharge ( Effective 25th February 2013 )

Dear Business Partners,

Cost of Aviation fuel has been quite stable in the 1st half of 2012, however, in the last quarter of 2012, we are seeing a rise.

In view of this, we are revising the fuel surcharge and this will come into effect from 25th February 2013.

The increased surcharges will be applicable to all tickets issued
on or after 25th February 2013.

All group bookings made on/before 24th February will be honoured at current surcharge levels even if ticketed on/after 25th February in accordance with their contracts.

Append below is a table showing the level of surcharges.

For further information, kindly refer to your GDS system.

Kindly inform your valued customers on the revised fuel surcharge rate and to have their tickets issued before 25th February 2013 in order to avoid paying the increase in fuel surcharge.

Thank you for your kind attention and cooperation.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 3:05 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Can somebody list what the fuel surcharges currently are?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 3:20 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marconess
Can somebody list what the fuel surcharges currently are?
They went up 5-7%, so I suppose not too bad...
Old Feb 21, 2013, 3:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hmmm...surely if fuel prices have been stable, there is no justification for any fuel surcharge and should all be incorporated as part of the base fare by putting base fares up accordingly
Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:00 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Hmmm...surely if fuel prices have been stable, there is no justification for any fuel surcharge and should all be incorporated as part of the base fare by putting base fares up accordingly
Dave, on behalf of the EK forum, I nominate you to fight this battle on our behalf with EK Head office...
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:04 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
A fare increase by any other name ...
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Marriot Rewards Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Honors, Etihad Guest Gold, SAA Voyager,
Is Qantas a fan of YQ?

If so, perhaps the EK interpretation of ''customers will get the best of both'' is fairly liberal :-)
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
wow never realized F / J fares had much higher YQ.

I havent bought an EK ticket since Dubai do!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by mrtdxb
A fare increase by any other name ...
Except it is not just a fare increase, it can also cause an increase in award costs too
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:38 am
m27

does the fuel surcharge fall under the taxes and fees bit of the fare breakdown? or the airfare? thanks
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Except it is not just a fare increase, it can also cause an increase in award costs too
The lack of earning of points on EK compared to some airlines, was in my opinion, more offset by the availability of redemptions and upgrades and lack of fuel surcharges. Being based in Australia the fuel surcharges are nearly that high for economy tickets you may as well just buy a ticket.

Will be interesting to see on the availability front once those dam Roo flyers start having access to EK award inventory. I think it will end up like the QF situation from Australia now in that you need to book award J class the day they become available (ie 330 days or something) otherwise you're .... outta luck.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Following Eightblack's heads up here I booked a flight the other day.
Just checked the fare and the first figure showed an increase of £69.
The booking site then had tech problems and wouldnt let me continue.
Just tried again and the fare had changed - and now its an increase of £14.
Looking at the fare before taxes etc though the increase is on there and not on the tax/fees/charges element.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:01 am
m27

flights to Bangkok seem to have risen by about £14
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Originally Posted by m27
flights to Bangkok seem to have risen by about £14
That sounds about right. But I cant understand why its added to the fare element and not the tax etc element.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:00 pm

Looking at the current fare for a journey I purchased on sunday, I can see that the actual published fare has increased rather than there be any "fuel" surcharge

Although fare increases are not a great thing, a 1.1% (USD68) fare rise is better than a disguised fare rise

Looking at a couple of other flights ( such as AMS-SYD ) it does seem that the actual fare has been increased there too

It does look like EK hasn't fully embraced feeding from the trough of surcharges, just certain locations

Last edited by Dave Noble; Feb 25, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.