FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Skywards New 4th Tier - Platinum (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1436474-skywards-new-4th-tier-platinum.html)

daniel46211 Feb 8, 2013 4:17 am

Skywards New 4th Tier - Platinum

Emirates has introduced a Platinum tier, to allign with the Qantas Frequent Flyer program as the Qantas-Emirates alliance becomes effective as of April 1.

Qualification:
The Platinum tier will require 150,000 tier miles to qualify, instead of the predicted 75,000 - in respect to their current 25,000 increments.

Various sources have stated that 5% of Skywards gold (of a total of 110,000) members will become Platinum - meaning there will be 5,500 Platinums as of April 1
For those who qualify, your requalification clock resets - meaning you have 13 months from April to retain your status.

If you hit 150k tier miles since March 1 2012 - congratualations, you are a platinum.

Platinum Benefits:
  • First Class check-in and baggage delivery
  • Access for yourself and a guest to the Emirates First Class lounge in Dubai and Emirates Lounges across the network
  • 75% bonus Skywards Miles when you fly with Emirates
  • Gold 'Partner' Card for a spouse or partner
  • Guaranteed Business Class revenue seats*
  • 'Last Seat' Flex reward tickets even on high-demand flights

UPDATE I: According to an Australian Business Traveller report, Gold lounge guesting privileges are to be reinstated.

UPDATE II: Skywards Platinum - Official Announcement Email

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/600/14202708.jpg

mrtdxb Feb 8, 2013 4:24 am

I wonder if this was sent to every Skywards member or just golds or just those that have in fact qualified or just to a random type collection of folks. I got it, am Gold and did over 200k tier miles in my last qualifying year that ended 31st Dec 2012.

ayeaway Feb 8, 2013 4:25 am

So all current golds stay the same if they dont do 150k? and the Silvers are still rooted? Seems QF get the better deal on this with a network that is of no benefit to me at all, but thats only me and I am sure a few will have a semi on.

eightblack Feb 8, 2013 4:26 am

Originally Posted by mrtdxb (Post 20208461)
I wonder if this was sent to every Skywards member or just golds or just those that have in fact qualified or just to a random type collection of folks. I got it, am Gold and did over 200k tier miles in my last qualifying year that ended 31st Dec 2012.

My take is that this is a targeted email to only those who have qualified as Platinum...I'm sure existing Golds will receive a separate email plugging the benefits of the new tier and urging them to fly more and qualify.

Europeanexplorer Feb 8, 2013 4:26 am

Well, I definitely did not get more than 150,000 miles last year. I think it was just sent to all Golds.

TRAVELSIG Feb 8, 2013 4:27 am

Originally Posted by eightblack (Post 20208465)
My take is that this is a targeted email to only those who have qualified as Platinum...

I don't have 150 K tier miles at the moment- but I suppose projecting forward at current rates I will this year.

Europeanexplorer Feb 8, 2013 4:29 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 20208468)
I don't have 150 K tier miles at the moment- but I suppose projecting forward at current rates I will this year.

That projection also would not work on my account either. I have 0 miles this year and (since I've shifted my FFP elsewhere) have no travel planned and will not be doing any travelling.

Like I said earlier, I think it has been sent to all Golds, unless they made a mistake and are giving me Plat. That would make leaving very hard!!

daniel46211 Feb 8, 2013 4:29 am

Not sure, but I've done 180k since my Dec roll over.

TRAVELSIG Feb 8, 2013 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Europeanexplorer (Post 20208476)
Like I said earlier, I think it has been sent to all Golds.

That makes a lot of sense.

eightblack Feb 8, 2013 4:33 am

Originally Posted by Europeanexplorer (Post 20208467)
Well, I definitely did not get more than 150,000 miles last year. I think it was just sent to all Golds.

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 20208468)

Interesting then...maybe it did go to the entire Gold base. Wouldn't have been the comms strategy I would have adopted (as it could potentially annoy more people than they realise...)

And while we're at it, if you're going to release something like this to a very important customer segment, have your social media team prepped and ready (EK do have one) so that they can intervene/support/answer questions if need be. EK released this on the evening of their weekend. There could be a lot of arm waving at DXB HQ this coming Sunday morning...

torontoflyer Feb 8, 2013 4:36 am

hmmm...so the question is..will this be implemented for this year, or for next? I know EB had an assumption that those of us who have over 150k last year would qualify, but it may be so that this is a teaser of what is to come for qualification for the next year.

comments?

Zol Feb 8, 2013 4:39 am

Yes it did go out to all Golds only, I checked the household accounts.

eightblack Feb 8, 2013 4:39 am

Originally Posted by torontoflyer (Post 20208504)
hmmm...so the question is..will this be implemented for this year, or for next? I know EB had an assumption that those of us who have over 150k last year would qualify, but it may be so that this is a teaser of what is to come for qualification for the next year.

comments?

I would expect it to "go-live" as of March or April (if not sooner). Will probably be co-ordinated with the QF deal being officially blessed. They've also got to give fulfillment time to get new cards to everyone, all internal memos out to the outstations (if they haven't gone out already), crew bulletins sent out and the systems updated.

daniel46211 Feb 8, 2013 4:42 am

Originally Posted by eightblack (Post 20208516)
They've also got to give fulfillment time to get new cards to everyone

Could be the reason to why the 2013 gold packs have not been sent yet?

eightblack Feb 8, 2013 4:43 am

Originally Posted by torontoflyer (Post 20208504)

comments?

If you achieved more than 150K tier miles last year, you're in. No worries. Bet you a bottle of Dom on it ;)