Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skywards New 4th Tier - Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2013, 5:23 am

I got the mail as well. My year ends Oct 31. In the last period, I managed about 220k status miles, have done just 26k miles in the last 3 months.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 5:28 am

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum; Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by eightblack
If you achieved more than 150K tier miles last year, you're in. No worries. Bet you a bottle of Dom on it
This i like....Dom or no Dom!
I would not mind to lose this bet!
Old Feb 8, 2013, 5:35 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by eightblack
Interesting then...maybe it did go to the entire Gold base. Wouldn't have been the comms strategy I would have adopted (as it could potentially annoy more people than they realise...)

And while we're at it, if you're going to release something like this to a very important customer segment, have your social media team prepped and ready (EK do have one) so that they can intervene/support/answer questions if need be. EK released this on the evening of their weekend. There could be a lot of arm waving at DXB HQ this coming Sunday morning...
Fearless leader I must for once disagree. I really don't think that they care about Ultra Frequent Flyers as they do not believe that they need their/our business. Their actions and inactions over the years have proved that to me at least. They are only being forced into doing this because they needed to match QF's programme in some way and probably put a great deal of effort into trying to get QF to dump their top tier programme so that they would not have to bother with one. There will be no arm waving nor angst at DXB HQ - personally I think that they will be more concerned about whether to have tea or coffee on Sunday morning when they get in to work. Golds can probably "eat cake" as far as getting guesting privileges back and I suspect the same is true of Silver's getting access to a lounge in the darkest, deepest depths of DXB any time soon too.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 5:39 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mrtdxb
Fearless leader I must for once disagree. I really don't think that they care about Ultra Frequent Flyers as they do not believe that they need their/our business.

Their actions and inactions over the years have proved that to me at least. They are only being forced into doing this because they needed to match QF's programme in some way and probably put a great deal of effort into trying to get QF to dump their top tier programme so that they would not have to bother with one.

There will be no arm waving nor angst at DXB HQ - personally I think that they will be more concerned about whether to have tea or coffee on Sunday morning when they get in to work. Golds can probably "eat cake" as far as getting guesting privileges back and I suspect the same is true of Silver's getting access to a lounge in the darkest, deepest depths of DXB any time soon too.
You need a hug I'm sending someone over...
Old Feb 8, 2013, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Anything below IO is boring. :P

My recommendation as a Platinum Benefit: Complimentary Chauffeur Service independent of the class you travel in. This would make a statement!
Old Feb 8, 2013, 5:51 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Marriot Rewards Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Honors, Etihad Guest Gold, SAA Voyager,
My year ends on 28 February and I am only on 42000 tier miles so far.

I received the e-mail.

So if it is targeted, they missed and hit me.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 5:54 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by Joe_EK
My year ends on 28 February and I am only on 42000 tier miles so far.

I received the e-mail.

So if it is targeted, they missed and hit me.
Haha - collateral damage I guess!
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:15 am

Gold here but no email received (yet).
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:24 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Marriot Rewards Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Honors, Etihad Guest Gold, SAA Voyager,
On a negative note. 150 000 tier miles is fine if you fly paid premium cabins either regularly or even just 2 or 3 ULH's a year.

But for pax who mainly fly paid Y and certain routes (especially where your Origin and/or Destination are not too far from DXB) regularly, it is almost out of reach I think.

My most common route is JNB-JED. 8500 tier miles flex (and honestly, the flex fares are sometime 30-40 percent more expensive on this route) I would need to fly atleast 18 round-trips (72 sectors) per annum if not more.

I guess with the type of network EK runs, it is difficuilt to set a thershold that is fair to everyone.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I called 150k tier miles some time ago....

Last edited by eightblack; Feb 8, 2013 at 6:45 am Reason: Removed image - not required
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Oh well. I must have been naive to think that this was a true customer survey as I dutifully checked some (actually all but one) option. Didn't occur to me that this is actually a way to announce the benefits. But then, it obviously must be exactly that, an announcement. They wouldn't do this a couple of weeks before launch to only come back later with less benefits and say "sorry, we never said we'll give these to you, we just wanted to know what our frequent flyers valued most".

Also, bear in mind that the chap responsible for this kind of thing at EK is a certain Thierry Antinori. Who has been the man behind the HON Circle program at LH. The benefits proposed here are very similar to the ones for HONs (and God was I scolded some weeks ago by people here on the forum when I suggested exactly these ):
  • Last seat Flex award - very similar to "booking guarantee for awards as long as to-purchase seats are available" at HON
  • Guest privileges - just like HON (and SEN in fact)
  • 20kg additional luggage allowance, the same as for Gold - just like HON, which has as much addiitonal luggage allowance as SEN, 20 kg
  • Guaranteed Business Class revenue seat - same as HON (and SEN in fact)
  • 75% bonus Skywards miles - HON gives 50%, but also status tier miles
  • Complimentary Gold card for Partner - just like HON, which gives additional SEN card to partner

Also the threshold: HON wants 600k in two years instead of 100k in one year for SEN - i.e. three times the Gold threshold.

Clearly the HON Circle program was the inspiration for EK Platinum, more than QF or any other fourth tier program.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by San Gottardo

Also the threshold: HON wants 600k in two years instead of 100k in one year for SEN - i.e. three times the Gold threshold.

Clearly the HON Circle program was the inspiration for EK Platinum, more than QF or any other fourth tier program.
I thought this as well- and the timing is quite good as there are a number of HON members looking for a new "home" at the moment.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by Joe_EK
On a negative note. 150 000 tier miles is fine if you fly paid premium cabins either regularly or even just 2 or 3 ULH's a year.

But for pax who mainly fly paid Y and certain routes (especially where your Origin and/or Destination are not too far from DXB) regularly, it is almost out of reach I think.

My most common route is JNB-JED. 8500 tier miles flex (and honestly, the flex fares are sometime 30-40 percent more expensive on this route) I would need to fly atleast 18 round-trips (72 sectors) per annum if not more.

I guess with the type of network EK runs, it is difficuilt to set a thershold that is fair to everyone.
Really? And you think it would be fair to drop it so that it's easier to get it when only flying Y?

As someone who will never get to 150K tier miles, I still find it hard to understand what you are trying to say. You think Platinum should be reachable for someone who flys less often and/or spends less (i.e. buying Y rather than J or F)?

I have no chance of reaching 150K (I will probably top out at about 80K tier miles in a year, but i don't expect EK to make it possible for me to make top tier just because, from my perspective, I fly with them alot. Compared to someone who does the same flights but goes F all the time, or someone who flies more regularly and in premium cabins, and therefore bringing in more money to EK, I don't bring as much to EK.

So why shouldn't someone who brings in more money to the company get better benefits?

As I said, I will never get to 150K, but that doesn't mean I think it should be dropped to a level that means I can get platinum. Don't get me wrong, I would love to get those benefits, and so if it was set at 75K I would be very happy! But would that be fair to the people who bring much more money to EK? I really find it hard to see how it fits with the basis of reward programmes, which lets be honest is all about how much money you bring to a company.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:51 am

I am surprised they picked 150K as their threshold. EY has its Gold Elite status start at 125K; why would EK set their own threshold higher than that?

I made ~130K miles last year, in anticipation of a 125K threshoild. Now I received this "survey" as well. The only thing it does for me is make me p@ssed about the fact that I missed the threshold by 20K miles.

So, EK, either tell me that you will apply a lower limit for the initial batch of Platinum members, or please don't bother me with sending me an email with juicy benefits which I will have no chance to see before the end of the year (by when I will have achieved 150K+).
Old Feb 8, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
I am surprised they picked 150K as their threshold. EY has its Gold Elite status start at 125K; why would EK set their own threshold higher than that?

I made ~130K miles last year, in anticipation of a 125K threshoild. Now I received this "survey" as well. The only thing it does for me is make me p@ssed about the fact that I missed the threshold by 20K miles.

So, EK, either tell me that you will apply a lower limit for the initial batch of Platinum members, or please don't bother me with sending me an email with juicy benefits which I will have no chance to see before the end of the year (by when I will have achieved 150K+).
Makes perfect sense...it's aimed at revenue F or frequent long haul j. It's 6 long haul flights at say 25k tier miles...quite a lot but if they give f lounge access...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.