Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK have cancelled my flight - advice please?

EK have cancelled my flight - advice please?

Old Nov 19, 12, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down EK have cancelled my flight - advice please?

Hi! Am due to be flying home on Xmas day (as we have done the past few years) - went online to book an upgrade on another flight only to discover that our flight home has been cancelled - so we won't get home on Xmas day!
We will be arriving into DXB @ 02:00hrs on Xmas day but now don't fly back out until 26th!
Any advice please?
Old Nov 19, 12, 8:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, Skywards Silver
details...?

You have provided no details from which anyone can give advice...Where are you coming from? Where are you going? what was the flight number cancelled? What was the reason given? What class are you traveling in (paid/award)? Are you traveling alone or in a group?....for starters..
Old Nov 19, 12, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Sorry - I mean can anyone offer advice as to wether I'm entitled to any compensation etc. from EK.
I ran out of time to edit my post as I was on hold to them at the time.
I only found put it was cancelled by chance - no it's not an award ticket but a paid flex ticket in economy ( we were using points to upgrade).
Old Nov 19, 12, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Ok - just to update, I was originally told that because my stopover would now be over 24 hours (30) that we would not be entitled to a complimentary hotel - so not only will we not be back on Xmas day but we were expected to find our own accommodation.
I've been back on the telephone and they have agreed that as the changes are down to them that they will have to provide the hotel (though I have no idea what hotel it will be - cant imagine it will be too fabulous!), and the chap i spoke to had no idea, however when I asked what sort of compensation they would give for us not getting home on Xmas day I was told that there was nothing they could do to help.
I'm so disappointed in their attitude - I've always been a great fan of EK but this is starting to leave a sour taste.
Does anyone have any advice please.
Old Nov 19, 12, 11:50 am

If you can stay wherever you are for another night you could ask EK to delay your return by 24 hours - it will cut out the Dubai stopover and unknown hotel.

Alternatively, are there other flight/time combinations that suit you? Have these prepared and call EK again.

If your return is from Europe you'd be entitled to compensation dependent on the length of your journey, but I'm guessing from your board name that isn't the case.

When you do get back, write and complain - you might get some miles from them.
Old Nov 19, 12, 12:14 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Seems odd to me cancelling a flight 5 weeks in advance for a specific day !
Old Nov 19, 12, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Have you explored other options:

1>, Ask to be transferred to another airline which will make you home within reasonable hours of original arrival time?
2>, Ask to be provided hotels and meals in Dubai? (please do not mention compensation, sometimes Agent will get an quasi attitude towards people only emphasis on compensation)
3>, Ask to be rebooked to departure one day earlier? Or alternative destination which is not far away from home?
4>, Ask for total refund and book on another airline?
Old Nov 19, 12, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao View Post
Have you explored other options:

1>, Ask to be transferred to another airline which will make you home within reasonable hours of original arrival time?
2>, Ask to be provided hotels and meals in Dubai? (please do not mention compensation, sometimes Agent will get an quasi attitude towards people only emphasis on compensation)
3>, Ask to be rebooked to departure one day earlier? Or alternative destination which is not far away from home?
4>, Ask for total refund and book on another airline?
i dont understand how they could cancle the flight and not tell the OP.

In that case go for a total refund and fly another airline. Stuff them.
Old Nov 19, 12, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AsFlyingDL4Fun asks, please provide the exact details of the original scheduled (and now cancelled) travel. Nobody here can do particularly much to help you if we don't know where you're coming from and where you're headed to. Please provide the origination, connection point(s) & destination, along with flight numbers and class of service.

Until you have provided that information, anything you get here will be speculation.

As to the question of whether it's odd to cancel a flight 5 weeks in advance, it is not. Particularly over the holidays, there are massive cancellations and it is because bookings are falling way short. Last minute cancellations can be very expensive for the carrier and the pax and there become compensation issues. Cancelling in advance is annoying, but there's time to recover.
Old Nov 19, 12, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

ft101 - HI! I've looked into staying where we are but we will be in the Maldives and the island we are on is fully booked due to it being xmas so we cannot stay another day.

Chongcao and ft101 - I have looked at other flight options - they offered to fly me to Manchester but as its Xmas day that would mean a train journey - and you guessed it - the trains aren't running - the other option is a taxi from there but it would take around 4 hours and on Xmas day would be extortionate!

Zol - I certainly agree that it is strange to cancel a flight so far in advance - even more odd that I only found out by chance as I was about to book an upgrade on a different leg - and odder again that the reason I have been given is for 'technical problems with the aircraft' - perhaps EK have a magic crystal ball?

It would have been nice, not to mention common courtesy for EK to have informed us of these changes rather than me finding out entirely by chance!

I guess I'm just going to have to accept that we are not going to get home on Xmas day but will be spending it in some hotel in Dubai - NOT what we had planned at all.
Old Nov 19, 12, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
The OP doesn't seem to want to tell us this, but is presumably trying to fly into NCL on Christmas Day (which only has about 2 flights that day....)

EK have a 9.55am departure from MLE that would route via DXB and LHR, connecting onto the last BA flight to NCL, all on Christmas Eve.
Old Nov 19, 12, 4:41 pm

Xxxxx

Last edited by jiggyjig; Nov 25, 12 at 8:16 pm
Old Nov 19, 12, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
The OP doesn't seem to want to tell us this, but is presumably trying to fly into NCL on Christmas Day (which only has about 2 flights that day....)

EK have a 9.55am departure from MLE that would route via DXB and LHR, connecting onto the last BA flight to NCL, all on Christmas Eve.
Swiss - we are on the later flight from Male - I think it leaves around 23:00hrs? Sorry I don't have all my details to hand right now - didn't realise I was going to be asked to produce flight numbers, timings etc on here.

That's worth thinking about though - taking the earlier flight - although I have a feeling that it would be too early for the seaplane transfer, but if not we could fly onto LHR then from there to NCL, makes for a much longer journey of course which is annoying.

we have flown this flight on Xmas day for the past few years and never had a problem in the past so this is all new to me.
Old Nov 19, 12, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiggyjig View Post
Is booking a hire car to pickup in MAN and setting the drop off point as your original destination an option for you ? I've done it with Alamo/National, cost about 40 extra I think above the hire cost for different pickup / drop off.
Jiggly jig - thank you - that's a helpful suggestion. Not sure who would get the short straw as driver lol! To make matters worse I'm travelling with a broken leg.

I'm beginning to think we may just have to accept that short of an even longer journey time, we are going to be staying put in Dubai on Xmas day and getting home on Boxing Day instead. I can't imagine I'm the only passenger booked on this flight who's 'slightly peeved' about the situation though, although in fairness since I only found out by sheer coincidence it's possible that the others booked on the flight aren't aware.
Old Nov 19, 12, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Northumberland Lady View Post
I've been back on the telephone and they have agreed that as the changes are down to them that they will have to provide the hotel (though I have no idea what hotel it will be - cant imagine it will be too fabulous!)
Prolly the Millennium/Copthorne Airport Hotels.
See if you can get Emirates to throw in a Dune Safari (some Christmas !!) or a dinner cruise

--

Search this Thread
Search Engine: