Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK have cancelled my flight - advice please?

EK have cancelled my flight - advice please?

Old Mar 20, 13, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by yyzlhr View Post
this sounds very deja-vu ....

Didnt we have someone else post about a xmas day cancellation and they werent offered compensation.... Think flight was to Newcastle
Yes, a case of deja-vu, again, I think. There won't be too many ladies from Newcastle, Northumberland posting on the forum and remember the story of the problems. Just a side issue but we're set up for email and mobile alerts in Skywards - wouldn't they notify by email and mobile of a cancellation?

I agree that contacting the CEO wouldn't seem to be the appropriate level to complain to but hey, give it a try FWIW.
Old Mar 20, 13, 10:58 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG View Post
The OP wants to write to the CEO and has admittedly said they are not looking for compensation and rather just to have the treatment noted.

Regardless of our feelings on the merit of the claim and the attention the CEO of one of the worlds largest holding companies- the OP wants to write to the CEO and now they can do so. Needless to say perhaps some under-secretary of an under-secretary of an advisor will need to write a response- however in almost any multinational organization that is the case in 2013.
This is dubai. Things work very differently here, they don't have to do anything especially as a nationalised company owned by the dubai government.
Old Mar 20, 13, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Sounds like a modern-day Hyacinth Bucket (sorry Bouquet)...she should invite the Sheikh round for a candlelight supper.
Old Mar 20, 13, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Northumberland Lady View Post
Too long to go into everything but basically:-
Our flight home was cancelled on Xmas day.
EK NEVER informed us - we found out entirely by accident.
This required a stopover in DXB on Xmas day until the next flight was available on Boxing Day.
EK gave us a stopover hotel - as per their conditions.
I have not asked for compensation but simply asked for a gesture of goodwill, after all had they been an EU airline we would have been very well compensated..
Looking at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...ce-please.html , it would seem that you found out a month before departure. That you found out by accident does not mean that EK would not have informed you in advance of departure

There would have been no entitlement to compensation if this had been an EU airline given that you became aware and discussed the options more than 2 weeks before departure

This thread seems to be to mislead into suggesting that the cancellation was found out at the last moment whereas were aware of it 5 weeks before christmas

In the thread back then , various suggestions were put forward such as rebooking to MAN and hiring a car but back more than a month before the flight you were " beginning to think we may just have to accept that short of an even longer journey time, we are going to be staying put in Dubai on Xmas day and getting home on Boxing Day instead" plus you spoke to EK over a month before the flight

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 20, 13 at 3:37 pm
Old Mar 20, 13, 2:50 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by m3red View Post
The son of the former ruler of Dubai is not going to give one about this claim, it doesn't even sound that bad!

No offence.
I don't think his sheikhdom ranking is of any relevance to his commercial position.
Old Mar 20, 13, 2:53 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post

I would get in touch, not with the CEO office but with someone who is more hands on customer service than overseeing an organisation the size of a small country. Since you're in the UK your best bet is to write to whoever is charge. I know some FT'ers might have the email of that someone.
I agree with this. You are better and more likely to get a response from say the Emirates VP for the UK and Ireland or the Manager for NCL
Old Mar 20, 13, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by m3red View Post
This is dubai. Things work very differently here, they don't have to do anything especially as a nationalised company owned by the dubai government.
You keep coming back with the this is Dubai and normal practice doesn't count. At the end of the day its a city state with an airline to big to fail just like Singapore and semi automatous Hong Kong both of which don't have any oil either.

Good practice should not matter where you are. If the lady wants to annoy a sheik with letters he will never read then all power to her.
Old Mar 20, 13, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

To the others - I really just asked for an address - didn't mean to open up such a can of worms!

I LOVE being called hyacinth Bouquet - made me lol! Perhaps I should have asked DYKWIA?

FYI I never tried to 'mislead' and say that the flight was cancelled just before (however someone else on my flight did only find out the day before)

Also FYI - I did try out the other options suggested on this forum but EK wouldn't budge - they told me that I couldn't have a refund as we would be getting home - albeit delayed 24hrs.

Anyway - I have the address which is what I wanted - so thanks for that.

Over and out. ;0)
Old Mar 20, 13, 6:23 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

To the others - I really just asked for an address - didn't mean to open up such a can of worms!

I LOVE being called hyacinth Bouquet - made me lol! Perhaps I should have asked DYKWIA?

FYI I never tried to 'mislead' and say that the flight was cancelled just before (however someone else on my flight did only find out the day before)

Also FYI - I did try out the other options suggested on this forum but EK wouldn't budge - they told me that I couldn't have a refund as we would be getting home - albeit delayed 24hrs.

Anyway - I have the address which is what I wanted - so thanks for that.

Over and out. ;0)
Asked me what?

Old Mar 20, 13, 6:33 pm

Programs: EK, BA, TK
I would echo the earlier advice that the relevant Country Manager would be a more appropriate person to follow up with.

I don't think the UK country manager would consider stranding passengers in DXB over Christmas a desirable business practice... a concise letter may well garner some sympathy, which can often lead to Things Happening in your favour.

You can always write to the CEO later should you be unhappy with the response!

Best of luck either way.
Old Mar 20, 13, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes you did by stating that if EK was an EU airline that you would have been well compensated. Entitlement to compensation would have required that you were unaware within 2 weeks of departure whereas was aware 5 weeks before

As stated

Originally Posted by Northumberland Lady
after all had they been an EU airline we would have been very well compensated.
What someone else on flight may or may not have known has no bearing on that
Old Mar 20, 13, 9:38 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ayeaway View Post
You keep coming back with the this is Dubai and normal practice doesn't count. At the end of the day its a city state with an airline to big to fail just like Singapore and semi automatous Hong Kong both of which don't have any oil either.

Good practice should not matter where you are. If the lady wants to annoy a sheik with letters he will never read then all power to her.
Normal rules don't apply here, that is a fact. Of course she can send a letter but it could be better directed as other posters have mentioned to the customer service manager or more senior ek staff in the uk.

I don't know what you have against dubai but I ll keep enjoying the tax free salary that allows my wife and i to fly j and f. Who cares about oil levels? Dubai is a great place and is a global hub and financial services centre. All I m saying here is that it's not like the uk where you may get a response.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: