Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Difficult trip, is it worth complaining to EK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates

I'll try and make this as brief as possible. My status is Skywards Gold. I booked a roundtrip Flex economy ticket thru Emirates from BKK-DXB-JFK-BOS. Departure date from Bangkok was Oct. 25th and return from Boston was Nov. 2nd. Departure flight from BKK boarded on time but was kept on the tarmac for 4 hours for a mechanical issue, everyone kept onboard.

Due to the delay I missed my connection to JFK and was put up in a Dubai hotel and was put on a flight to JFK 19 hours later with a much longer (4 hour) layover in JFK before my flight to Boston. Total time lost over 24 hours.

On the return leg the hurricane had wreaked havoc on the whole US East Coast. My original JetBlue flight (booked through Emirates) out of Boston was cancelled, I was put on the next flight but it came in just too late causing me to miss my JFK connection to DXB. Emirates staff at JFK told me there was nothing they could get me on out of JFK for at least 4 days on EK.

Agent got me confirmed on a Delta flight out of JFK to Istanbul, Turkey and from there on to Bangkok via Turkish Airlines. Arrived in Turkey but was then told I had no status and was stranded for 2 days before finally getting on a Turkish Air flight to BKK, where it then took 2 extra days to get my luggage. That all being said, in Turkey, Emirates staff at the lounge was very helpful in working with Turkish Air in trying to get me on a flight. Also was given total access to the lounge and was provided a hotel room free of charge.

My question, is it worth my time and effort to ask for some sort of consideration from EK for the troubles I encountered during this trip? Other than the first flight mechanical issue, most of the trouble was out of the airlines control and Emirates staff was exceptional in helping where they could. Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited by eightblack; Nov 17, 2012 at 11:15 pm Reason: reformatted
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:22 pm

Your seriously thinking of complaining??
As you said apart from the mechanical issue everything was out of EK's control, and they did everything they could for you, sounds like you just copped it bad with circumstances.
You were amongst probably thousands that were inconvenienced by the storm.
iI think you should take this as one of those ".... Happens" times and move on.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by cejmcq
My question, is it worth my time and effort to ask for some sort of consideration from EK for the troubles I encountered during this trip?
Absolutely. Don't be demanding and melodramatic. Acknowledge that some of the issues were out of Emirates' control, but the best solutions available to them still caused you inconvenience. List the various inconveniences and/or expenses you incurred. Request an amount of miles (25k?) as a goodwill gesture. You'll probably get 15-25k in the end.

Treat the outbound and return trips as two separate issues. In the former, you have a valid claim for some compensation. In the latter, less so.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates
Thanks for the advice. My correspondence will probably lean more toward praise of the Emirates staff that assisted me rather than my inconvenience, and if I can get a few miles out of it that's just a bonus.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
Originally Posted by cejmcq
Thanks for the advice. My correspondence will probably lean more toward praise of the Emirates staff that assisted me rather than my inconvenience, and if I can get a few miles out of it that's just a bonus.
Exactly the way to handle it!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.