Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dubai Connect / STPC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:11 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Mrs t and myself are flying CPT/LHR at the end of this month. As we are coming back on different days, we are on two different bookings. I am J Saver and she is J Flex (on the outbound). In order to get the best fares, we had to choose a long connection, 8:30, in fact the longest connection available. So I was very surprised to see DC/STPC offered on MMB for both bookings! Just checked, and it's still there, I have made the booking and it shows. We are both Skywards Gold, but I don't believe that makes a difference.
Looking through this thread, I picked up that sometimes the vouchers (which I understand we'll be given at check in at CPT) may not be honoured by the hotel (as technically we should not qualify). Is that correct? We have travelled though DXB numerous times, but this is the first time we were offered DC, so decided to try it (even though 8:30 seems a bit short).
Aside question: how is transport to / from the hotel organised? Just regular CD? How to order it for the return from hotel to airport? I guess it's worthwhile to register for smart gates on arrival in order to speed up immigration on departure? Also for future use. We have EU passports.
Newbies, not to EK, but to CD/STPC (and to Dubai outside DXB)
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Mrs t and myself are flying CPT/LHR at the end of this month. As we are coming back on different days, we are on two different bookings. I am J Saver and she is J Flex (on the outbound). In order to get the best fares, we had to choose a long connection, 8:30, in fact the longest connection available. So I was very surprised to see DC/STPC offered on MMB for both bookings! Just checked, and it's still there, I have made the booking and it shows. We are both Skywards Gold, but I don't believe that makes a difference.
Looking through this thread, I picked up that sometimes the vouchers (which I understand we'll be given at check in at CPT) may not be honoured by the hotel (as technically we should not qualify). Is that correct? We have travelled though DXB numerous times, but this is the first time we were offered DC, so decided to try it (even though 8:30 seems a bit short).
Aside question: how is transport to / from the hotel organised? Just regular CD? How to order it for the return from hotel to airport? I guess it's worthwhile to register for smart gates on arrival in order to speed up immigration on departure? Also for future use. We have EU passports.
Newbies, not to EK, but to CD/STPC (and to Dubai outside DXB)
You go to the regular CD desk at DXB and get a car to the hotel. The hotel will have a EK CD desk or the front desk will organise the car, whenever you're ready to go, they may even call you in your room to advise that it's time to leave. I've not heard of vouchers not being honoured and I highly doubt the hotel cares or knows who is eligible. Getting the voucher at CPT would be the bigger issue. Assume you're on 773, so midnight arrival? Else if you were arriving on 771 at 6am if the hotel didn't honour you could store luggage and tour DXB instead/go for breakfast, but not feasible for 773 arrival.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:33 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
You go to the regular CD desk at DXB and get a car to the hotel. The hotel will have a EK CD desk or the front desk will organise the car, whenever you're ready to go, they may even call you in your room to advise that it's time to leave. I've not heard of vouchers not being honoured and I highly doubt the hotel cares or knows who is eligible. Getting the voucher at CPT would be the bigger issue. Assume you're on 773, so midnight arrival? Else if you were arriving on 771 at 6am if the hotel didn't honour you could store luggage and tour DXB instead/go for breakfast, but not feasible for 773 arrival.
Yes, 773/29 so 1am arrival (stupid combination, but it saved R15K...).
Assuming we get the vouchers at CPT, we'll chance it. Worst case (if the hotel play up) back to the airport....
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:34 am

back to the airport....
And as Gold $100 gets both of you into F lounge
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:34 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
And as Gold $100 gets both of you into F lounge
Yep, but at today's ZAR exchange rate that's an expensive breakfast....

(although I guess one could use the snooze rooms there...)
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:35 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Yes, 773/29 so 1am arrival (stupid combination, but it saved R15K...).
Assuming we get the vouchers at CPT, we'll chance it. Worst case (if the hotel play up) back to the airport....
The hotel won't play up. The voucher is like cash to them.

As SH says, just go to the EK reception and they'll phone for a car. It takes 5-10 minutes.

You'll also get meal vouchers to be used at any of the Le Meridien restaurants (no booze unfortunately)
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:00 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The hotel won't play up. The voucher is like cash to them.

As SH says, just go to the EK reception and they'll phone for a car. It takes 5-10 minutes.

You'll also get meal vouchers to be used at any of the Le Meridien restaurants (no booze unfortunately)
Thanks (also to SH). Meal will be breakfast but apparently there is quite a nice buffet. Long visit will be short this time, probably miss the 'traditional' ice cream and Moët bar

Guess the immigration formalities on departure don't take much time? Will probably register for smart gates on arrival (assuming this does not add a lot of time to the arrival process, is it done at the normal immigration desk?).
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:04 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Thanks (also to SH). Meal will be breakfast but apparently there is quite a nice buffet. Long visit will be short this time, probably miss the 'traditional' ice cream and Moët bar

Guess the immigration formalities on departure don't take much time? Will probably register for smart gates on arrival (assuming this does not add a lot of time to the arrival process, is it done at the normal immigration desk?).
Immigration is a bit of a lottery. I arrived at 10pm on Wednesday, no queue at all. Another hour or 2 and it would have been mad.

Well worth registering for Smart Gates. It costs nothing (other than a few minutes time), and saves lots of time in the future.
Tanzguy and thijsseh like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:35 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Emirates stopovers

I was wondering if anybody who has ever booked a stopover package in Dubai with Emirates could tell me more about the benefits.

It looks to me like they just act as a travel agency, is there any advantage by booking through them instead of booking direct?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: Skywards
Refurb completed

Tanzguy likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Metanoia
If you have status with another global airline it's worth getting a match up to Skywards Silver, it'll make things a bit more comfortable at DXB after the hotel since you will have lounge access. Use the Contact Us page on the Help menu on the website and select Skywards general feedback from the dropdown. Attach proof via a scan of your card and your company/job title (no idea why they ask, but could help!).

EDIT: Alaska counts - I asked and they offered Silver but I did not take it (want to see if I can get to Silver on my own and match to Gold).
Good point - just doing the same (from BAEC Silver to EK Silver) but unfortunately I am subject to a challenge (2 Eco Flex/ Flex Plus returns or 1 Business return). Might be as they have matched me 3 years ago to Silver and was not holding the status; so always worth a try.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Just to give you my recent experience. Upon check in at DPS, I was given a voucher for the Crown Plaza, I asked if I could get the Dubai Intl Hotel airside and said I would have to ask when I landed. I got to the F lounge around 1am and my departing flight was at 815am. The nice lady gave me a voucher for the airside hotel I listed above. Went smoothly and decently quick. The room was very quiet and had what I needed for a quick few hours of sleep.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: QR Gold, Skyteam Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Well worth registering for Smart Gates. It costs nothing (other than a few minutes time), and saves lots of time in the future.
You have to use one of the immigration desks at the far right side and registration takes less than 5 minutes. Yet, departing from the Business gates at T3 i found that often the machines dont work..but doesnt make a difference timewise anyway
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:58 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by homer3152
You have to use one of the immigration desks at the far right side and registration takes less than 5 minutes. Yet, departing from the Business gates at T3 i found that often the machines dont work..but doesnt make a difference timewise anyway
When I went though there a few weeks ago, I asked the immigration officer if he could register me (after he had stamped my passport). He then said it had been done, put a small sticker on the back of my passport and handed it back to me. When leaving a only 5 hours later (it was a rather short STPC), the machine did not recognise my passport and I had to go to one of the desks. Not sure what the reason is. Does it take some time for the registration to propagate through the system? Was the passport never registered (there did not appear to be any additional action by the immigration officer)? Or did the machine when leaving the country not work properly?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:03 am

When I went though there a few weeks ago, I asked the immigration officer if he could register me (after he had stamped my passport). He then said it had been done, put a small sticker on the back of my passport and handed it back to me. When leaving a only 5 hours later (it was a rather short STPC), the machine did not recognise my passport and I had to go to one of the desks. Not sure what the reason is. Does it take some time for the registration to propagate through the system? Was the passport never registered (there did not appear to be any additional action by the immigration officer)? Or did the machine when leaving the country not work properly?
I've seen reports before that it takes several hours to process. In AUH I was able to exist using one of the electronic gates (not sure if smart) without getting a stamp, several years ago, without having requested anything extra and on a SA passport which requires a visa to enter. I was surprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.