Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dubai Connect / STPC

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by TXWayne
I am very low maintenance and don't feel "a need" to spend my employer's money, they are already paying plenty for the overall trip, I was just trying to get an opinion from folks who have used the EK services in Dubai since it is my first experience transiting DXB. I am quite conservative with their $$$$, after all this trip of over 40 hours flying qualifies for business class and yet I am saving several thousand by flying economy......
Sorry if my comment was a bit snarky, but the advice stands, it's a perfectly fine hotel for a day, especially if you're not planning on actually using it much
Old May 23, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: Southwest Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Sorry if my comment was a bit snarky, but the advice stands, it's a perfectly fine hotel for a day, especially if you're not planning on actually using it much
Thank you for the advice, it was exactly what I was looking for and will just go with whatever EK gives me.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Thank you for the advice, it was exactly what I was looking for and will just go with whatever EK gives me.
If you have status with another global airline it's worth getting a match up to Skywards Silver, it'll make things a bit more comfortable at DXB after the hotel since you will have lounge access. Use the Contact Us page on the Help menu on the website and select Skywards general feedback from the dropdown. Attach proof via a scan of your card and your company/job title (no idea why they ask, but could help!).

EDIT: Alaska counts - I asked and they offered Silver but I did not take it (want to see if I can get to Silver on my own and match to Gold).
Old May 23, 2018, 1:48 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I am making my first trip on Emirates and am doing DFW-DXB-KUL R/T next month. I have a 15 hour layover in DXB, 1200 til 0310, and was offered Connect online. I am traveling on cheapo economy tickets and after reading through this thread I am not sure of my chances of a good experience with what hotel I will be offered for my short stay. I don't plan on spending much time where ever they put me as I intend to explore Dubai mostly. Since I am traveling for work I could expense something, was thinking about the Grand Hyatt as I can get a rate of only $135USD. I am Hyatt and Hilton so want my points at one of those and Hilton appears to have nothing. Thoughts?
Grand Hyatt would be fine. You can dump your bags and go and explore a bit.

There is a Hilton on the Creek which I went to a couple of times (there used to be a Gordon Ramsay restaurant there).
Old May 23, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: Southwest Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Metanoia
If you have status with another global airline it's worth getting a match up to Skywards Silver, it'll make things a bit more comfortable at DXB after the hotel since you will have lounge access. Use the Contact Us page on the Help menu on the website and select Skywards general feedback from the dropdown. Attach proof via a scan of your card and your company/job title (no idea why they ask, but could help!).

EDIT: Alaska counts - I asked and they offered Silver but I did not take it (want to see if I can get to Silver on my own and match to Gold).
I don't have any status at the moment because I am "in between" airlines. Dumped American last year after getting mistreated one too many time and now fly primarily Southwest out of Love Field. Only fly international about once a year. Thanks for the thought though.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:50 pm

DXB Long Layover Question

Hi All,

I'm flying in a few weeks on J class (a380) and I have a lengthy layover in DXB for roughly 15 hours. Although I have a confirmation from Emirates that they'll be providing me accommodation via Dubai Connect, my connecting flight is at 3:30AM.

I'll have plenty of time to go the mall, grab a bite and explore a bit but I'm leaving the actual exploring for my return flight back as I'll have 3 days in Dubai. With that said, I'm thinking of catching the shuttle back to the airport for around 11:30PM-ish as I really do not know what else to do, so I'm thinking of killing time at the business lounge.

Is it worth going that early (4 hours)? I'm not sure what else to do...

On my return flight back home flying F class, it's the same situation whereas my flight is again around 3:00AM so I've scheduled the chauffeur pickup for around 10:30PM and planning on heading straight to the First class lounge.

Do they still serve food for sit down a la carte around midnight? I know it's a very odd question, but given the time I thought to ask. Once again, am I pushing it with going so early?

If anyone has been in a similar situation or can give me some suggestions I'd highly appreciate it!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by flyer_sam
Hi All,
...I'm thinking of killing time at the business lounge.

3 hours is plenty - even at that busy time. 30 minutes from the hotel through clearing immigration/security (less if you're using Smartgates - sign up when you arrive the first time), 1.5 hours in the lounge (champagne bar!), and 20-30ish minutes to get to your gate, and gates close 20 before departure. If you want to do some shopping and/or get a spa treatment then allocate extra time.

On my return flight back home flying F class, it's the same situation whereas my flight is again around 3:00AM so I've scheduled the chauffeur pickup for around 10:30PM and planning on heading straight to the First class lounge.

Do they still serve food for sit down a la carte around midnight?
Full dinner service is available till somewhere around 3-4am, I forget exactly when they change over to breakfast. They used to allow ordering from the opposite menu (dinner in the morning, etc) but I think they stopped that. Even when traveling F I usually max out at 2 hours in the F lounge eating and then back to the J champagne bar in the B concourse.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Hi All,

I'm flying in a few weeks on J class (a380) and I have a lengthy layover in DXB for roughly 15 hours. Although I have a confirmation from Emirates that they'll be providing me accommodation via Dubai Connect, my connecting flight is at 3:30AM.

I'll have plenty of time to go the mall, grab a bite and explore a bit but I'm leaving the actual exploring for my return flight back as I'll have 3 days in Dubai. With that said, I'm thinking of catching the shuttle back to the airport for around 11:30PM-ish as I really do not know what else to do, so I'm thinking of killing time at the business lounge.

Do they still serve food for sit down a la carte around midnight? I know it's a very odd question, but given the time I thought to ask. Once again, am I pushing it with going so early?

If anyone has been in a similar situation or can give me some suggestions I'd highly appreciate it!
I would the best part of the J lounge in concourse B is the champagne bar but you dont need 4 hours there unless you want to drink one glass an hour. There is not a ton to do per se but if you would like to leave time for duty free shopping or something then 4 hours is good but if you want to basically go from hotel to plane with maybe just a quick lounge visit prior to boarding then 2 -ish is fine since the hotel is so close+j class check in+fasttrack

All lounges are 24 hours so a la carte dining is available at any time but I forget if it's the full menu at all hours. Worth spending more time in F lounge and get your spa treatment in
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Metanoia
3 hours is plenty - even at that busy time. 30 minutes from the hotel through clearing immigration/security (less if you're using Smartgates - sign up when you arrive the first time), 1.5 hours in the lounge (champagne bar!), and 20-30ish minutes to get to your gate, and gates close 20 before departure. If you want to do some shopping and/or get a spa treatment then allocate extra time.

Full dinner service is available till somewhere around 3-4am, I forget exactly when they change over to breakfast. They used to allow ordering from the opposite menu (dinner in the morning, etc) but I think they stopped that. Even when traveling F I usually max out at 2 hours in the F lounge eating and then back to the J champagne bar in the B concourse.
Thanks! Do you know if I can sign up for Smartgates beforehand or only at the airport? Is ~ 3:00AM pretty dead or busy at DXB (business lounge)? I do want to check out the lounge (especially the newest addition of the champagne bar), great recommendation! Do you recommend I grab a bite with the vouchers I get (I'm guessing 90% the hotel will be the Le Meridien DXB) or at the lounge for better food?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by kq747
I would the best part of the J lounge in concourse B is the champagne bar but you dont need 4 hours there unless you want to drink one glass an hour. There is not a ton to do per se but if you would like to leave time for duty free shopping or something then 4 hours is good but if you want to basically go from hotel to plane with maybe just a quick lounge visit prior to boarding then 2 -ish is fine since the hotel is so close+j class check in+fasttrack

All lounges are 24 hours so a la carte dining is available at any time but I forget if it's the full menu at all hours. Worth spending more time in F lounge and get your spa treatment in
My only reason for heading to the airport/lounge early is because I won't have anything else to really do, so maybe those champagne bar glasses will help time go by a little quicker!

Do you know how to make the booking (in advance) for the complimentary spa treatment at the F lounge and if they are 24 hours or close at midnight?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:54 pm

My only reason for heading to the airport/lounge early is because I won't have anything else to really do, so maybe those champagne bar glasses will help time go by a little quicker!

Do you know how to make the booking (in advance) for the complimentary spa treatment at the F lounge and if they are 24 hours or close at midnight?
You can make the booking by e-mailing timelessspa (at) dih-dca.com with your outbound flight information and desired treatment time. They are open 24 hours.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:11 pm

A spa-related question. I’m traveling with my husband and son who aren’t interested in the spa. Can I use their treatments? In other words is it one per speeding or one per seat?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:09 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Thanks! Do you know if I can sign up for Smartgates beforehand or only at the airport? Is ~ 3:00AM pretty dead or busy at DXB (business lounge)? I do want to check out the lounge (especially the newest addition of the champagne bar), great recommendation! Do you recommend I grab a bite with the vouchers I get (I'm guessing 90% the hotel will be the Le Meridien DXB) or at the lounge for better food?
Use the vouchers at Le Meridien. There are some good restaurants there (Italian, Thai, Lebanese, Indian, Tex-Mex, Irish (!!), and probably more that I forget). Most of the places serve food until maybe 23:30.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Suzzin
A spa-related question. I’m traveling with my husband and son who aren’t interested in the spa. Can I use their treatments? In other words is it one per speeding or one per seat?
Good question... each boarding pass gets scanned for each treatment, so scan all 3 and get 45 minutes? Tip well
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Use the vouchers at Le Meridien. There are some good restaurants there (Italian, Thai, Lebanese, Indian, Tex-Mex, Irish (!!), and probably more that I forget). Most of the places serve food until maybe 23:30.
Thanks! I would have not used them otherwise! By the way, do you know what the vouchers include or are there certain limits to what you can order (eg dinner time) ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.